Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #1

Quitting Pentax?

Hi there,

Before anything. This review I just made today about Pentax K-x is kinda like a summary of my situation: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-camera-reviews/73845-p...ml#post1250931

I've been a proud Pentaxian for a year now. At the very first moment I saw what my Pentax can do, I knew I made the right decision. The K-x was, and still is, better than any camera in it's range. But, as it's written on the review something's just missing. I know the Pentax cameras are usally relativly small and it seems to be that this is going on forever but, I personally beileve that there should be a line between being compact and being pro or semi-pro. And, yes, this is all there is. I just can't get the feeling from the K-x.

Now, the K-5 is out. Yet another superb but small camera and with a price you can buy a Canon 7D instead, well, let's say I'm having a serious dilemma for my future investments..

P.S: Actually there is one more issue. Why the hell Pentax don't/wouldn't produce a f1.8/1.7 50mm lens with a reasonable price!

11-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Okay, so you like the 7D better than the K5. Buy one. whats the problem? Complaining about the Pentax here isn't going to make it feel any better in your hand.
11-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deniz Quote

Now, the K-5 is out. Yet another superb but small camera and with a price you can buy a Canon 7D instead, well, let's say I'm having a serious dilemma for my future investments..
So if you feel the 7D is a better camera for your needs, then there's an easy answer

QuoteQuote:
P.S: Actually there is one more issue. Why the hell Pentax don't/wouldn't produce a f1.8/1.7 50mm lens with a reasonable price!
I'm assuming that because Pentax only sells APS-c cameras, the DA35/2.4 is their answer to the 50/1.8. You can still get an F50/1.7 for about $200 and it's a better lens than the $100 Canon 50/1.8 (which was the first prime lens I owned, FWIW)
11-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

The 7D is a great camera, but we don't have all the info on the K5. There are plenty of 50mm options for Pentax. If you want something priced low, go with F50 1.7, mid FA50 1.4, high, DA* 55, 3rd party Sigma 50.

Anyway, I played with the 7D and it's a great tool. But that's all it is. Just like guys that buy the newest and best sport bike in the world and still get passed by 10 year old models, it's all in how you use it.

I'm staying with Pentax due to the price of glass. My dollar (currently) goes a bit further than with other manufacturers.

11-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #5

I have been struggling with this...

I'd been watching PentaxForums forever in hope of a hint that a FF is on the way.

The K-5 looks FANTASTIC however I worry that I will feel I settled by not going for what I've wanted over the last several years, and that is a full frame camera.

Considering all the factors in purchasing a Nikon FF (D800 in spring), starting all over with lenses, getting squat for my K10D and half dozen lenses, the weight of a larger camera, the thought of hiking rugged terrain with $5,000+ in my hands makes me question if leaving Pentax might be a good decision.

I love my K10D. It was such a well thought out design and user interface. It still takes great pictures. (Me being the weak link in that process
11-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oppositz Quote
I love my K10D. It was such a well thought out design and user interface. It still takes great pictures. (Me being the weak link in that process
That is what photography is supposed to be about. Having said that I would like to add; "I feel your pain".
I have two K20Ds, one of them I have hardly used, and both of them do everything I could ask of them, but I want the K5 REALLY bad.
11-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isnt there a battery grip for the K-x? I'd try that (if you can find one to try) before switching...

Mike

11-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Isnt there a battery grip for the K-x? I'd try that (if you can find one to try) before switching...

Mike
No. The K-x is not grip-able (neither is the K-r if I am not mistaken).

11-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oppositz Quote

I love my K10D. It was such a well thought out design and user interface. It still takes great pictures.
I dfinitely agree on this. The K10/20 body design is so the best Pentax I've held! I only wish the grip was bit deeper on the battery grip. Only one reason I never upgraded to K20 was the CMOS in it. I love the CCD's colours. K-7 combined the CMOS with smaller and (for me) less comfortable body, K-5 kept body but got new (apparently better) sensor, now I just hope that anything that comes afterwards (shall it stay APSC) will have bigger body again...
11-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think small is where it's at for the majority of the people.
I can't honestly say I like smaller over bigger(I've only toyed with a K-7), though I can see why people might have preferences.

QuoteQuote:
Whats wrong with the Pentax 50mm f 1.7 AF?
I've seen quite few on eBay for around $200.
11-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

...I personally beileve that there should be a line between being compact and being pro or semi-pro.
There is a very distinct line. Your K-x is a beginner's entry-level DSLR. The K-5 is not. I have nothing against the K-x, but it's a toy compared to the K10D I use or the new K-5.

Find the features you want in a camera and go for it.
11-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
Raylon

Hi there,

Before anything. This review I just made today about Pentax K-x is kinda like a summary of my situation: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-camera-reviews/73845-p...ml#post1250931

I've been a proud Pentaxian for a year now. At the very first moment I saw what my Pentax can do, I knew I made the right decision. The K-x was, and still is, better than any camera in it's range. But, as it's written on the review something's just missing. I know the Pentax cameras are usally relativly small and it seems to be that this is going on forever but, I personally beileve that there should be a line between being compact and being pro or semi-pro. And, yes, this is all there is. I just can't get the feeling from the K-x.

Was in the same boat as you about a month ago. Decided to go with the 7D. Tested and proven to be an excellent camera. It can pretty much do it all. Also I wanted Canon as a whole. Pentax just doesn't offer squat when it comes to long range fast lenses. Also the idea of the 580 flash being weather and dust resistant is fantastic. I would urge you to look at where you want to go and pick a system that will support you the best.
11-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That is what photography is supposed to be about. Having said that I would like to add; "I feel your pain".
I have two K20Ds, one of them I have hardly used, and both of them do everything I could ask of them, but I want the K5 REALLY bad.

I have had a 18-55/50-200mm WR K-5 kit in my shopping cart since 2pm (UK time). My card details are entered and with the cashback the price works out at $1560 incl delivery and taxes. I don't need the lenses as I have a DA* 16-50mm & 60-250mm so I can sell them which makes the body even cheaper.

Trouble is my K10D also takes excellent pictures ............. and it's making me think twice/3 times

I really want that K-5 though.
11-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi there,

It feels like you like K-x performance but your main gripe is that you don't like the way it 'looks'.
k-5 is going to perform better than 7D. There is no doubt about that. But yeah, it won't look like the 7D. Battery grip may make the k-5 a bit bigger though...
11-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Hi there,

I see you have been a Pentaxian for a year. I find that there is a tendency among many younger or new avid photographers to jump from brand to brand...always wanting to have the latest.

I'm not sure if this is a wise course of action, as Nikon will have the newest and greatest one month, then Canon will up them, then Sony, then Pentax...whoever has the latest intro of camera equipment.

What I would recommend is choosing a brand and sticking with it. They are all pretty good, although for pure professional equipment, either Nikon or Canon are at the top, if you have thousands of dollars in your budget and that's for the top body only ?

I've been a Pentaxian, along with other camera makes for 42 years. I started working in a publishing company...42 years ago as an editorial assistant and photographer.

I haven't been in the publishing business for many a year now, or am I a professional photographer, just an avid photographer.

I have Pentax, Mamiya, Leica equipment mostly. But I have stuck with Pentax since (1968) I bought my first 35mm SLR, a Pentax S1a, which still works.

Selling your used camera equipment isn't really that much of an investment...generally unless you have a rare older Leica or something similar, you're going to take a loss.

A K7, Canon 7D, Nikon D300s, Pentax K10D if you sell it after awhile...you will at a significant loss.

But they are all good cameras...generally much more capable then we, the photographer.

What I recommend is keeping the camera , lenses, etc....and learning how to broaden your photographic skills with all these marvelous instruments.

I'm still learning all the capability of my 3 year old Pentax K10D...and I've taken pix with very good equipment since 1968.

I see you're based in Turkey, never been there, but what a photographic potential I would think this old, history rich country has.
Closed Thread