Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Yea that's one huge thing I love about the 7D. After looking through a K200 and Kx I love the huge bright viewfinder. Kx just seem so dark and small, like a tunnel.
I loved that about the 7D I demo'd as well. I can't speak for the K5.

11-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Have you looked on eBay?
I count 7 on the first search:

New and used Pentax F 50mm 1.7, Lenses Filters, Film Cameras on eBay.ca
There's 2 at KEH right now (around $230 if I recall). I sold one this week (for $200). And as John said, there are several on ebay at the moment too (although several of those are a bit overpriced).
11-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #33
Veteran Member

What about the feel of the texture. A friend just got some mid-range nikon.
Talk about 'plasticky'!

mike
11-05-2010, 01:27 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Yea that's one huge thing I love about the 7D. After looking through a K200 and Kx I love the huge bright viewfinder. Kx just seem so dark and small, like a tunnel.
A bit brighter than the K-X's pentamirror, but huge, bright viewfinder is a bit exaggerated don't you think ? Its a bit bigger than other common APS-C viewfinders - 100% and 1.0x mag compared to a K-7/K-5 which is 100% and 0.92 x

I have used the 7D a fair bit....very nice camera... but I wouldn't say the latest Pentax K-series can't keep up with it.
I may have been tempted with the 7D, as I don't have a large K-mount lens collection, but the K-5 seems to have exactly the stuff I was looking for, so I'm staying with Pentax.....

Last edited by kittykat46; 11-05-2010 at 01:42 AM.
11-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Maybe we should start a support group.
Hi. My name is Jim, and I crave a K5.
I no longer crave the K-5 .. just pressed the submit order button.

I am now at peace with the world once again .....
11-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deniz Quote
One more thing: I'm aware of the f1.7 50mm lens. It's just too damn hard to find it.
just be sure to check ebay. I got mine there a few weeks ago (check the sig )
11-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #37
Forum Member

if u got the money, i can assure u, canon,nikon, pentax or sony will make u happy. i ve shoot with k100ds a year, and k10d for a year. i realized i need 1600 3200 iso and bought a k-r with a really good deal. i used 40d with 85mm 1.8 and i was impressed with only af speed (faster but not really accurate). i also used a friends nikon d90 and all i can say is , if u are used to controls of pentax, other brands wont fit in ur hands.
about big or small camera, ''size doesnt matter'' xD if u want something big, u will have a burden while travelling with big optics. so are u sure u wanna keep a bag 5-10 kgs ?
another thing, i live in Turkey too. if u are shooting in streets, random ppl, they will find pentax gear warmer due to their size
but anyway if u got the money theres nothing to stop u. but u are considering a cheap 50mm, which canikon has with plastic barrel and window glass quality. go for it, u ll be back in a month or so

11-05-2010, 02:35 AM   #38
Veteran Member

You are complaining over the lack of no cheap 50s and at the same time talking about buying a 7d, nice glass gives you better image advantage than the body you use.
11-05-2010, 02:56 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I think small is where it's at for the majority of the people.
I really can't understand people who think the K-7 is too small. Granted, I've only held it for a few minutes in a shop, but I'm 100% sure I'll be more comfortable with that body than with my K10D. Don't misunderstand me, the K10D is great ergonomically, but the grip is not "grippy" enough (much prefer K100D which I've used several times, and K-7/5 seems to be more like that).

And I've got big hands, I always have a hard time finding gloves that fit.

I'm curious: What's better about the K10D? I really don't think it can be the ability to hold the camera in one hand, the K-7 seems to give a much more secure grip. So is it just access to controls, or is it that it feels too small when held with two hands? I wonder if it's just a matter of adapting to holding the camera in the right way for the given camera.

For instance, I'm puzzled that many people hold their left hand on the side of the camera instead of under the camera (see my avatar picture), which was the way I learned to hold my tiny little MX from its manual at the age of 16 many, many years ago...
11-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Its a bit bigger than other common APS-C viewfinders - 100% and 1.0x mag compared to a K-7/K-5 which is 100% and 0.92 x
Is there really a visible difference between 1.0x on the 7D and 0.92x on the K-5? I really doubt so, because the 7D has a larger (1.6x) crop factor, so the actual size should be very close.
11-05-2010, 03:03 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deniz Quote
P.S: Actually there is one more issue. Why the hell Pentax don't/wouldn't produce a f1.8/1.7 50mm lens with a reasonable price!
You are trying to decide between to "luxury" APS-C bodies (K-5 and 7D) and worry about the availability of cheap lenses?

If I were you, I'd rather worry why the hell Canon doesn't produce a 35mm Ltd.
11-05-2010, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #42

I have had my k100d since this past spring. here are my thoughts for you to consider if you wish:

QuoteQuote:
First, I'm not looking for a FF body and in fact the 7D was just an example, my actual plan if I ever sell my Pentax gear is buying a 50D, due to the realities of a college student's budjet etc.
Haha, I've been out of school for 4 years now and with all my student loans, owning a house, and now a baby...look i've realized that my budget hasn't changed since I graduated. Sure I make more money, but now I have more bills...actually my real disposable income has depleated to near nothing...the $500 some dollars i've already spent on this hobby...that's not a value that goes un-noticed in my budget.

Anyways this is what I love about Pentax. We had 6 lenses (including a 50mm 1.4) from a K1000 sitting in a closet for 5 years, all 20 year old lenses I'd guess. So I bought the K100d refurbished for $200 - look at me now, I have a full range of equipment for $200, and I've probably spent another $300 since then on a couple primes and a zoom. Not really knowing much about the other camera makers, from what I understand it seems as though my dollar is worth more with pentax equipment.

So a friend of mine, took a couple photography courses in college, and has a mid-range nikon with two lenses. He knows hes not a professional, and he does take great pictures - but his dream is to be a photo journalist. If I had to guess, he's spent around $3,000 so far on his equipment and he currently holds a job at an apple store.

Where am I going with this? I guess my point is that if you are still learning and are on a budget I think that at this point in camera technology, which camera maker is the best should be left to the pros, and anyone else should be more concerned about what will fit there budget....especially if you hike and take the risk of accidently dropping the camera off a ledge....

Look a 6MP camera (k100d) can produce a flawless 8x10. So if you look at it that way - what photos do you intend on taking, and printing out, that require larger than an 8x10 print?

This is my attempt to boost your confidence about the physical size of the camera. And anyways since when did size matter? We are not talking about......we are talking about cameras....and look...I have really big hands. It does get cramped when I am trying to press the OK button to turn on AF, but to me a moot issue.

I look at my friends nikon while I am holding my pentax and think to myself, wow, his camera is huge, that makes him look a little more professional....and then i think to myself....yeah but, I am able to take photos as good as his with my camera....With my skillset, it takes me twice as many shots to get there, but I do get there none the less.

Last edited by Capslock118; 11-05-2010 at 03:55 AM.
11-05-2010, 03:50 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote

If I were you, I'd rather worry why the hell Canon doesn't produce a 35mm Ltd.
..that is stabilised
11-05-2010, 04:21 AM   #44
Veteran Member

lesmore49 comment for Deniz :
I agree on your comment. Keep your Pentax Equipment. Although Pentax
has not got long range Primes for DSLR etc, it makes photography more challenging and thus enhance your cababilities etc. Canon and Nikon Photographers are a bit spoilt and taking pics become to "easy".
I always say, real photographers use Pentax :-) No USM/HSM/Stabilizers etc...just a bit of Pentax mussle!
11-05-2010, 04:28 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I read in a lot of place that the 7D have a lot of AF issue
Closed Thread