Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #1

K-7 Image Problems (Images not lining up)

I wanted to pass on an issue I just resolved with my Pentax K-7. Just purchased it, started on a K1000 in High School and have been a loyal Pentax customer ever since.

When my K-7 arrived I went out and took a number of shots (obviously) with a number of lenses and couldn't wait to get home and look at them.

When I proofed them on the LCD they looked great and I came home and plugged the camera into my PC (Running Windows 7) with the supplied USB Cable.

Once I downloaded the images some of them looked like the shutter was sticking as the bottom of the image and top were not lining up. The other issue was there were lines running through a few of my images which I thought were dead pixels.

After lengthy discussions with Pentax & Best Buy (Sorry to Levi @ Best Buy) I was sent a replacement... same issues. I was at my whits end when I called Pentax for what would be the last time and spoke with Rusty who escalated me to Second Level support in Colorado.

Turns out there is a "Known Conflict" with Windows Photo Gallery. When downloading images directly from the camera it attempts to Index them and in the process corrupts the file.

The Solution???? An SD Card reader, dropped my memory card into that bad boy and Presto... no more corrupted files.

Apparently it's been reported to Microsoft and there is no ETR.

I was not able to find ANY information about this issue on the web & even reached out to Lori Grunan @ cnet (thanks for replying Lori!) who hadn't heard anything about it.

So here I am, wanted to spread the word and the resolution as I 'm sure with the K-5 selling like crazy there will also be many new K-7 owners.

Hopefully none of you have the same rocky start I did

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
11-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the feedback.
11-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1
Excellent feedback.

It is very useful for all of us to have this type of feedback, with a clear description of the pb and a solution.

Well-done.....