Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They need to release DFA updates because the coatings on the FA are not as good as the DA for digital. So its new lenses one way or the other :P

11-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm pretty sure anyone waiting for a Pentax 135 format DSLR (what people mistakenly refer to as full frame), they are going to be sorely disappointed.
I expect Pentax has decided to leapfrog the 135 format with the 645.
It;s pretty unlikely that they will try to support 3 formats, especially when in the real world, 135 offers very few advantages at this point.
That was pretty much my take expressed on one of the numerous other threads on this subject. I can't see Pentax being able to support that many formats. I'm not holding my breath for a 67D, either.
11-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
APS-C is here to stay.
Pentax has not only invested in its development, it has refined its output very well with each generation of sensor. After only 9 or so years of commercial production, Pentax has an APS-C camera with a sensor that easily rivals film resolution and exceeds film ISO performance convincingly.
Pentax has moved into the digital era reasonably well, and done so without full frame.
So DA lenses are also going to stay as far as I can see - and Pentax continues to excel in producing niche compact crop lenses that have exceedingly excellent IQ.

DAs are not designed for FF, and in my mind they don't need to - Pentax is getting things right with APS-C.
Very true. In fact, this is a specific benefit of Pentax, because while the APS-C bodies themselves may be smaller with other brands, in general, the high end lenses are not.
11-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #19
Forum Member

Пентакс няма да правят пълен кадър камера,защото пазарът там е зает,а ще развиват 645-Д.
Спокойно!

11-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteQuote:
As you know these lenses are designed specifically for the APS-C CCD cameras. In theory they could work with a film camera, but obviously no aperture control; most importantly though the DA lenses will not fill the entire 35mm frame; because they are designed to work with the smaller CCD size.
I know that the Pentax ZX L will work with DA lenses, and you have aperture control with them even if they do not have an aperture ring. The DA 55-300 works quite well on the ZX L, as does the 16-45, allowing me to shoot down to around 21 or 22 mm with no problems. All of my other lens right now are older FF lens or Sigmas that are designed for 35 mm camera with aperture rings, except the 150-500 with HSM which has no ring but still works fine with the ZX L in manual focus.

My only nit with APS-c is that when I buy a 21mm lens, I normally buy it so I can shoot at 21mm, not 30 and it is or has been hard to find some really wide lens for digital. On the other hand, turning a 500 into a 750 is a real plus. So it's a toss up, which is why I still carry the ZX L in my bag. It accepts every accessory made for Pentax Digital cameras, including flashes and remotes. For 100 bucks or so, it's a great FF camera and if you can find the battery pack, they usually go for about 10 to 15 bucks, it accepts AA batteries as well.

So your DA lens are not as limited as you might think.
11-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
I know that the Pentax ZX L will work with DA lenses, and you have aperture control with them even if they do not have an aperture ring. The DA 55-300 works quite well on the ZX L, as does the 16-45, allowing me to shoot down to around 21 or 22 mm with no problems.
So your DA lens are not as limited as you might think.
I've had a great deal of fun with the ZX-L and DA lenses. For anyone who wants to try DA lenses on 135, it is an excellent and economical body choice. No, they are not made for 135, and I don't see that I really need them to be, but it is an added bonus that many of them work pretty well at 24x36.
11-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #22

Well. having said that:

I bought the 35/2.4 2 weeks ago, and this plastic wonder is FF, and compatible with the MZ-range of cameras..............

hansli

11-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I've had a great deal of fun with the ZX-L and DA lenses. For anyone who wants to try DA lenses on 135, it is an excellent and economical body choice. No, they are not made for 135, and I don't see that I really need them to be, but it is an added bonus that many of them work pretty well at 24x36.
Bonus points for not using the term "Full Frame".
11-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pefoto01 Quote
Пентакс няма да правят пълен кадър камера,защото пазарът там е зает,а ще развиват 645-Д.
Спокойно!
++++1
11-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #25
Forum Member

buy used lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by Capslock118 Quote
Perhaps a good point, I buy used cars though .

Also my point was that I have fully functional manual lenses which I use with my DSLR (my M 50mm 1.4 takes better shots than my 18-55 DA btw ) today, and maybe the DA lenses may not work when they get to the age my manuals are now.

To use your analogy - lenses and camera bodies are two seperate things. The car is to the camera body and the lenses are to the cars wheels....I can buy 40 year old tires, or find them in a scrap yard, if I really wanted to.

Electric car, hydrogrogen car, nuclear car, they will all still need wheels; unless of course we develop floating cars.
I buy used lenses. every lens I own has been bought through this forums marketplace, and I have paid about half what I would have for brand new lenses, and everything has been in perfect shape so far
11-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Bonus points for not using the term "Full Frame".
Caught that, did you?
11-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Caught that, did you?
I want to have your baby
11-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say that sensor size, as with most electronics will continue to decrease in size. Even presently, FF sensors are not as important as one would have thought several years ago. The IQ of APS-C sensors, in my opinion, are currently superior to 35mm of the past 30 years. I can produce larger prints from my K10 than I ever could from any of my 35mm cameras. In fact, I feel that IQ of my current 10MP APS-S is at least equivalent to my old 2.25 x 2.25 film cameras, if not better, but that's just my opinion.
11-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

While the ultimate "IQ" doesn't match, the overall quality look that I am getting from my K7 easily matches my 6x7. I haven't printed anything off my K5 yet, I expect it will be somewhat better.