Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Canada Repair times?

I mailed in my lens 2 weeks ago for a quote and repair on the auto-focus. So far no word... anyone have any idea of time lines? I expect a total of 4-6 weeks, but I thought they would have called with a quote by now...

jord

I didn't know if this was general photography or what... mods move as you see fit!

11-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
They are quite slow. I should have a thread in here somewhere on my K10D repair. Their techs seem to do a fine job, but at a glacial pace.
11-05-2010, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Here it is... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/50757-pentax-canad...xperience.html

Basically 12 days between their receipt and a quote back to me.

I'd ring them up.
Good luck!
11-05-2010, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I suggest you call them to get an update. When I sent a lens over, I never got the repair estimate even though they said they e-mailed it to me.

11-05-2010, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
I mailed in my lens 2 weeks ago for a quote and repair on the auto-focus. So far no word... anyone have any idea of time lines? I expect a total of 4-6 weeks, but I thought they would have called with a quote by now...

jord

I didn't know if this was general photography or what... mods move as you see fit!
You should call them, they are the one who can answer you not us
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys I will give them a call... I hate when clients bug me when things are still within normal and I thought I'd just toss this out there to see what was normal before I became a bit of a pain...
11-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll need them to tell you what is a normal time frame. If it's a warranty repair, you may not get an estimate, they may just fix it and return it to you.

11-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I called... they got it... they hope to look at it in the next few days and will email an estimate... than 4-6 weeks after that...

I have to send in my KX too... I have decided to, the shutter button sticks and I have a month of warrenty left!

I figured if I don't have my fav lens, why bother having my body too?!?!
11-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My only experience with Pentax Canada was very positive.

They put a new shutter , mirror assy and lens mount into my K10D, I live close enough I dropped it off, and picked it up 10 days later, which I though was pretty good considering 2 weekends, and a mid week national holiday in between.

Tamron's canadian representitive took 10 weeks with my28-75F2.2

Draw your own conclusions
11-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
My only experience with Pentax Canada was very positive.

They put a new shutter , mirror assy and lens mount into my K10D, I live close enough I dropped it off, and picked it up 10 days later, which I though was pretty good considering 2 weekends, and a mid week national holiday in between.

Tamron's canadian representitive took 10 weeks with my28-75F2.2

Draw your own conclusions
I share your view and had similar experience with Pentax Canada.... got mirror assembly adjusted and redone, clean viewfinder etc. I live close by and dropped off the camera and got it back in 10 days (last time, they send it back via UPS) and I usually pick it up when they inform me when it is done. Living closer to Pentax repair does have the advantage.
11-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #11

I've had a few of my lenses go in, and turn around time was around 1-2 weeks (except for the one that went back to Japan-that was 3ish) But they are lacking in the communication dept.
11-06-2010, 06:20 AM   #12

You'll be lucky if it is only 4 weeks! I used them 3 times and it took 6 weeks, 10 weeks and 12 weeks!

The longest one they gave up on waiting for parts and send me a new unit instead. This was over 2
years ago and I was told that things have improved because they now have more parts locally.

- Itai
11-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Can't say I've had good service from Pentax Canada... In the last couple of years I emailed them twice requesting information on products I bought and never got an answer or even acknowledgement they got my email.

I am not impressed...

Pat
11-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
In the last couple of years I emailed them twice requesting information on products I bought and never got an answer or even acknowledgement they got my email.
E-mail is definitely *not* a good way to contact them. I had the same experience as you.

Last edited by RBellavance; 11-09-2010 at 01:04 PM.
11-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm crossing fingers, I just sent my K-7 to repair a defective front e-dial...

I used many times their services and the turnaround has been relatively good for me. The worst case was to wait 1 month for fixing the level on my K-7. The other items (replacing SDM on 16-50, fixing a dead K20D, fixing a broken lens) were done in 2-3 weeks.

The only problem I have is they don't have good communication. If there are fees they will send you a snail mail. We're in 2010, I think using e-mail or having a good website to track your items is not too much to ask. That's the thing I don't like with Pentax Canada, you send your stuff, you have no news until the item comes back fixed...