Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Just bought a K20D

Yep, I had to bite on that Woot deal. Expect to see either my K-x or that on the marketplace in a few weeks, I suppose

Literally, I left it to fate on whether or not to go for it: friend flipped a coin, and I called it in the air.

Tell me guys, did I just make a mistake? I figure I won't lose much money selling either way, but I've never sold anything before, so I'm a little concerned with that.

But more on topic, what do I have to look forward to with my brand spankin refurbished K20D? I'm a bit excited.

Keep in mind, the only dslr I've had experience with is my K-x.

11-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Raylon

The body will definitely be an upgrade over the K-x, that may simply make it better than the Kx for you. ISO the Kx wins but IQ should be close. When was it a woot deal? How much?
11-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Yep, I had to bite on that Woot deal. Expect to see either my K-x or that on the marketplace in a few weeks, I suppose

Literally, I left it to fate on whether or not to go for it: friend flipped a coin, and I called it in the air.

Tell me guys, did I just make a mistake? I figure I won't lose much money selling either way, but I've never sold anything before, so I'm a little concerned with that.

But more on topic, what do I have to look forward to with my brand spankin refurbished K20D? I'm a bit excited.

Keep in mind, the only dslr I've had experience with is my K-x.
What woot deal? I don't see the K20D on that site...

Well anyways,
I would suggest keeping both camera bodies. You would be surprised just how useful having two is. The K20D and K-x both excel in their respective areas.

For example:

K-x
- good high ISO
- small
- easier to handle with smaller lenses

K20D
- Weather sealed
- more and better control
- easier to handle with larger lenses
11-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy the fine engineering of the K20D - you'll expect to *feel* the difference in your hands.

11-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's still going on:

Moo? : Ou? p??' Ou? p???

Body + 18-55 DA II for $499.
11-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
What woot deal? I don't see the K20D on that site...

Well anyways,
I would suggest keeping both camera bodies. You would be surprised just how useful having two is. The K20D and K-x both excel in their respective areas.

For example:

K-x
- good high ISO
- small
- easier to handle with smaller lenses

K20D
- Weather sealed
- more and better control
- easier to handle with larger lenses
I would love to keep both since it makes perfect sense to... but I just can't justify having two bodies but no good lenses. I originally planned to save up and get a solid fast AF prime, and if I keep both bodies that would basically mean I've spent $500 that could have gone to that lens. But who knows, maybe it'll win me over.
11-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Enjoy the fine engineering of the K20D - you'll expect to *feel* the difference in your hands.
I agree with Ash as always.

Fine cameras both...............but I would not trade my K-20 for a kx unless I was dead!

Ray
11-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Initially I was very encouraged as I went over to woot to see what the deal was.

The upside was that overall my K20 has maintained pretty good value over the last 18 months or so.

The down side was that my K20 has been back to CRIS for the second warranty repair now (been there 2 weeks now - both times for a strange DFS noise problem on long bracketed exposures), and I though that I might be able to score a second one for a real song.

I had an opportunity to play with a Kx over at Fry's about a year ago. Nice camera, but the K20 with the additional size, a bit more mass, the user controls, top window and the two wheels has me firmly as a user. I do think that you will like the K20 as compared to the Kx. I would think that it would be difficult to go back. I kept my K100 and it still does get some use, but I do like the 20......

11-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
wll
Veteran Member

IMHO the K-20 is a better camera for photos than the K-7, especially if you shoot ISO 1600 +.

I use the K-20 for product shots and the like and it's a very good camera, I'm very happy that I kept it and did not purchase the K-7.

I have a K-x and while it's a very nice for high ISO's, it's not the camera the K-20 is by a long shot !

On the other hand, the the K-5 is my dream come true :- )

wll