Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #31

No. I think Pentax should focus on APS-C and 645.

K5 has shown that improvement on electronics alone can do wonders. Issues like shallow DOF and diffraction-limited resolution cannot be solved easily, but medium format can be the answer.

For $2000+ I rather see a modular system with user-replaceable sensors. People can use a non-Bayer BW sensor, a deep-well native ISO 25 landscape sensor, and a high-sensitivity sports sensor. Wouldn't this be cool? They can even charge $1000+ for each module and IMO people will still buy it.

11-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by curiouspeter Quote
....................For $2000+ I rather see a modular system with user-replaceable sensors. People can use a non-Bayer BW sensor, a deep-well native ISO 25 landscape sensor, and a high-sensitivity sports sensor. Wouldn't this be cool? They can even charge $1000+ for each module and IMO people will still buy it.
You know, the geek in me really likes that idea. The smart-ass in me feels obliged to say "It already exists, it's called film".

Seriously, I think it is great idea. Different sensors have different strengths and weaknesses, and different suitabilities for different applications, just as lenses do. Why not interchangeable sensors?
Rep points for that.
11-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #33

Ooh... Sensor Buying Addition - SBA

People will have to collect different sensors for subtle differences in color and "look". I think this can be more profitable to the camera manufacturers than forcing people to buy only one body upgrade every two years.

Besides, which is more likely to receive approval?

"Honey, I think I need a new camera."
"Honey, I am getting some digital film for my camera."

LOL
11-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #34
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hey buy one, I'd have a couple.

11-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Why does it seem like 1 in 5 threads on this forum start or end with someone fitfully fantasizing over FF? Call me naive, but with sensor technology improving day after day, is anyone really going to care about this a few years from now? (Does Pentax care now?)
The posts keep being made because there is a hard-core minority of Pentaxians who want a FF DSLR. I am not among them... but it doesn't make it any less so. Nonetheless, in the string about the DxO results for the K-5 sensor, it become obvious what you're saying is true: Sensor and software technology are advancing rapidly enough that soon FF will likely be irrelevant for most - but not all - photographic uses.

Of course, FF will remain superior to APS-C as it will also enjoy those same sensor and processing improvements. But at what point will we reach the point of diminishing returns? At what point will most people - including serious photographers - be unable to tell the difference except at 100% enlargement under the worst-possible conditions? At what point will the images rendered by FF be better than our eyes can discern?

It's likely, in my opinion, that there will soon be a migration to APS-C by many current FF users. But not everyone. There will continue to be demand for FF by an ever-smaller group of hard-core enthusiasts or professionals who have unique requirements. In that respect, if FF continues to be available, these people will pay a hefty premium for the privilege of using the format. FF could become the new medium format - or perhaps eventually be squeezed out by ever-cheaper medium-format cameras. I'm making no predictions there.

As far as your other question: Does Pentax care about those still dreaming about a new FF DSLR? It's hard to say what's going on behind the closed doors at Hoya/Pentax. But I'll say this much: The company has given absolutely no indication that any FF camera is in development and has actually said more than once that there is not.

And, for the record, I go with option 2: The K-5 is more than enough. But that's just me.
11-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #36
Inactive Account

For me, it's not about image quality. I'd be happy with K5.. heck, I'm even happy with my trusty k10d.

My biggest peeve is the lenses! I want 31mm to be 31mm, I want 40mm to be 40mm, I want 28mm to be 28mm!
11-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #37
Pentaxian

We should have fantasy group, this topic keeps on coming with a different title ...yawn....

11-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Obligatory.

NaCl(nice one rawr)H2O
11-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by herzzreh Quote
For me, it's not about image quality. I'd be happy with K5.. heck, I'm even happy with my trusty k10d.

My biggest peeve is the lenses! I want 31mm to be 31mm, I want 40mm to be 40mm, I want 28mm to be 28mm!
So who changed physics? Last time I looked 31mm was 31mm; 40mm was 40mm; and 28mm was 28mm.
* goes to international bureau of standards*.....yep! Still the same!

NaCl(isn't physics amazing?)H2O
11-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #40
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Why does it seem like 1 in 5 threads on this forum start or end with someone fitfully fantasizing over FF? Call me naive, but with sensor technology improving day after day, is anyone really going to care about this a few years from now? (Does Pentax care now?)
v5planet:

Put a fork in the FF thing, you are correct IMHO. Sensor technology is leaping forward day by day and who needs to lug around HUGE camera bodies, HUGE lenses and the expense of those.

Right now the hot thing is small ... 4/3 cameras and small Evil APS-C bodies and lenses. I'm sure Pentax does have something planed in this regard.

Ya, "APS-C IS THE NEW FF" IMHO. Wait till Sony or ? comes up with the next generation of sensor. Maybe no ISO setting at all, as it is a moot point .... just shoot in ANY light and the sensor will pick it up, who knows ?

The K-5 Sensor and Pentax's engineering department is pretty close to that now !

wll
11-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Pentax 135 spotted in the wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

11-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #42
Veteran Member

finally, a FULL-FRAME. Ooppps, only in dreamland, but who cares? it's a good dream.
11-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't help but wonder, if the internet had been around when roll film cameras came about, how many thousands of forum threads there would have been complaining that they weren't "Full Frame" i.e. 4"x5" or 8"x10".

Last edited by Parallax; 11-07-2010 at 11:41 AM.
11-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
So who changed physics? Last time I looked 31mm was 31mm; 40mm was 40mm; and 28mm was 28mm.
* goes to international bureau of standards*.....yep! Still the same!

NaCl(isn't physics amazing?)H2O
Blah... I don't want the crop factor to be thrown in there!
11-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #45
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by herzzreh Quote
Blah... I don't want the crop factor to be thrown in there!
What about the "crop factor" involved when using, say, an 85mm lens on 135 format vs 6x7?