Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #46

-NO, Cant afford to pay 2900 for pentax?

And even if I could afford it, I wouldn't want the extra weight or size. And I am not interested in EVIL either.

11-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Pentax 135 spotted in the wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
I bought that camera in Yokosuka in 1969 with 50mm 1.4, 28mm 3.5, and 135mm 3.5. Fine combination for some low-level PJ work with CINCPACFLT staff.

Ah, the good days .....
11-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
What about the "crop factor" involved when using, say, an 85mm lens on 135 format vs 6x7?
I'm with you parallax, I am very sick to death of this whole crop factor thing. I can understand why it came about, it gives a standard frame of reference. This way if you pick up a P&S with a ??-??mm lens (35mm equivalent = 28-105mm) then you pretty much know what the photos will look like. However outside a few old geezers like myself who still can remember (sometimes ) what a 50mm lens looks like on a 35mm film camera, the whole "crop factor" brouhaha is a bunch of bushwa. In all reality I would imagine that most of the ppl jonesing on a full frame camera aren't after the DR or increased ISO or any of that, they just want this huge expensive piece of neck jewelery that says "Hey! Lookit me! I gotz a big fancy camera what says I'm rich!" I wonder what would happen if Pentax actually did make a FF camera, and made it look EXACTLY like a K100D! I wonder how many of the "we need a full frame camera" crowd would jump in and actually buy one!

NaCl(now that would be a sight to see)H2O
11-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'm with you parallax, I am very sick to death of this whole crop factor thing. I can understand why it came about, it gives a standard frame of reference. This way if you pick up a P&S with a ??-??mm lens (35mm equivalent = 28-105mm) then you pretty much know what the photos will look like. However outside a few old geezers like myself who still can remember (sometimes ) what a 50mm lens looks like on a 35mm film camera, the whole "crop factor" brouhaha is a bunch of bushwa. In all reality I would imagine that most of the ppl jonesing on a full frame camera aren't after the DR or increased ISO or any of that, they just want this huge expensive piece of neck jewelery that says "Hey! Lookit me! I gotz a big fancy camera what says I'm rich!" I wonder what would happen if Pentax actually did make a FF camera, and made it look EXACTLY like a K100D! I wonder how many of the "we need a full frame camera" crowd would jump in and actually buy one!

Well, I still don't buy it. Crop factor comes into big play when choosing a lens. Say I want a fast and light 40-50mm... with 36mm sensor, I have this choice. Do I have the same choice with 1.5 crop? Nope, nada... Please show me a decent and small-ish 28-30mm (and cheap) that's faster than f/2! This is where crop plays a big role.

11-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #50
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by herzzreh Quote
Please show me a decent and small-ish 28-30mm (and cheap) that's faster than f/2! This is where crop plays a big role.
Now we come to the root of the problem. That has nothing to do with format, or "crop factor", (your original complaint) it's economics. "Crop Factor", in and of itself, is only an issue if a person hasn't become familiar enough with his equipment to know how a particular lens will render a particular scene. I don't mean that to be insulting whatsoever. It is a simple fact that the more familiar you become with anything, the less significant it's nomenclature becomes.
11-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've impressed many Canon-Nikon owners by telling them new Pentax DSLRs are compatible with every lens Pentax ever made since before Canon and Nikon existed.

If they come out with a full frame they will have to drop one of their great advertising points: backwards compatibility.
11-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #52
Veteran Member

yes it is an old discussion . when / if the K-5 FF would be as small as the K-5
and as good. with a huge view finder . of course it will also need a new DFA 31mm 1.8
add another $1K

so far unless Canon is coming with a 5d MK III its seams like the FF talks are fading.
the Canon 7D is getting all the love right now in the Canon world.

in any way I do think that if you are a docu / street photographer. in todays world, price + quality the K-5 + the DA Ltds is the best kit out there hands down .
Leica way too expensive , Olympus is great but 4/3 and not everybody likes that .

Pentax gives you the best kit today for this kind of photography . and I think its smart that they are marketing themselves next to Leica, it is more of a Leica thinking then a Canon Nikon thinking. small quiet rigid cameras with small rigid sharp lenses .

now like Leica give us a classic Pentax body in a digital form Pentax LXD

11-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #53
Veteran Member

No I wouldn't buy a Pentax FF. I have no interest in such a thing. I would rather Pentax put their efforts to continue to improve the current format. The K-5, which I will buy before too long, is showing a great trend in things to come.
11-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #54
Veteran Member

...I wonder what would happen if Pentax actually did make a FF camera, and made it look EXACTLY like a K100D! I wonder how many of the "we need a full frame camera" crowd would jump in and actually buy one!

I can virtually guarantee you that a whole slew of Pentaxians would buy it, and probably a bunch of Olympians, Canonites, Nikonians, and Minoltoid-Sonians also.

A small-bodied FF DSLR, especially one with a modern next-gen Sony sensor, would make people crazed with camera lust. And especially one that brought a dose of extra-strong LBA - I know there are a lot of Nikonians who wish they could mount the FA Limiteds on those bodies.

The K-5 is a great, great camera, but picture a 16MP+ Pentax FF camera with a smallish body, 2.5 stops better high-ISO SNR than the K-5 (assuming next-gen sensor coming out next year,) even better DR range, time-warp-speed AF lock in low light, pro flash options, pro 40+ point tracking. Wearing a 31ltd.

You're telling me you wouldn't hanker for one of those?!?

PS: Here's an image that has little bearing on the discussion! (because pictures just always make a thread better.)

Last edited by jsherman999; 11-07-2010 at 10:35 PM.
11-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I havn't seen anything regarding Sony's intention to further their FF range. So imagine a scenario where Sony produces a FF sensor in the same class (or better) than the K5 sensor and sells it to Pentax. Now that baby would raise some eyebrows!
11-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
I havn't seen anything regarding Sony's intention to further their FF range. So imagine a scenario where Sony produces a FF sensor in the same class (or better) than the K5 sensor and sells it to Pentax. Now that baby would raise some eyebrows!
All the improvements in APS-C sensors will eventually find themselves to FF sensors and vice versa, that's just natural development which competition will guarantee. It's just that FF sensors and bodies don't seem to get old that quickly, their "turnover rate" is slower. But it'll probably get quicker as the competition grows - it wasn't that long ago when the Canon 5D was the only practical full frame alternative for anyone but a professional.
11-08-2010, 05:14 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I can virtually guarantee you that a whole slew of Pentaxians would buy it, and probably a bunch of Olympians, Canonites, Nikonians, and Minoltoid-Sonians also.

A small-bodied FF DSLR, especially one with a modern next-gen Sony sensor, would make people crazed with camera lust. And especially one that brought a dose of extra-strong LBA - I know there are a lot of Nikonians who wish they could mount the FA Limiteds on those bodies.

The K-5 is a great, great camera, but picture a 16MP+ Pentax FF camera with a smallish body, 2.5 stops better high-ISO SNR than the K-5 (assuming next-gen sensor coming out next year,) even better DR range, time-warp-speed AF lock in low light, pro flash options, pro 40+ point tracking. Wearing a 31ltd.

You're telling me you wouldn't hanker for one of those?!?

PS: Here's an image that has little bearing on the discussion! (because pictures just always make a thread better.)

I couldn't afford one of those... particularly with the 31 Limited on it. And, given where the K-5 is today, I'm not sure most of the advantages of a FF set up are that relevant to me anymore. But if Pentax will build it, it would still be a lot more attractive than a Canon 5D or one of Nikon's huge FF boat anchors.
11-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #58
Inactive Account

I would be on a good performing Pentax FF like white on rice

The K5 and it successors would make a good APS-C 2nd body
11-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #59
Pentaxian

I'm with you parallax, I am very sick to death of this whole crop factor thing.
Should we call APS-C, "full frame" and the current FF, "double frame"?
11-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Yes I would buy it. Why?
- Larger viewfinder, the viewfinder on current pentax DSLRs are about the size of the judas window on my MX...
- I wouldn't have to buy a new wide angle for 500-1000 USD, which makes the price difference between the K-5 and that supposed 2700$ FF rather small.
- I can't find a replacement for the fast 50 on APS-C
- I want the added resolution, but I don't have the cash to change my whole system to 645D.

I don't need all the bells and whistles though. I just want good low ISO performance and care very little about fps, ISO 50k+ etc.

Unlike one of the previous posts I don't think the market will move towards APS-C in the future, prices on technology will continue to go down. Peoples desire for higher quality stuff isn't going anywhere... it's all a matter of time.

Last edited by Jimfear; 11-08-2010 at 03:56 PM.