Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #91
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Rawr, is that necessary? Really?

Oh well, I'm done responding to this. If you guys want to keep it alive, go for it. For my part, I'm finished.

Thanks to all those who made positive, constructive comments. I appreciate it.

Have a good one.

11-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JustShane Quote
Hello Pentax Forums.

However, I worry very much about the unpopularity of Pentax as a system and I fear for its future.

I guess I'm not sure WHAT to think exactly.
You are scared of what exactly? I'm pretty sure we will be having a near miss or ... rather near hit from an asteroid in 2035 or so. You should be more worried about that.

The only thing you should be worried about is trying to utilize even 10% of that cameras features and abilities. Even if all camera companies one day vanished suddenly, it's not like used lenses wouldn't exist.
11-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Thom, if a web search ever makes you find your way to this obscure little thread, I just want you to know that you're a dick.
Lol...Ken Rockwell too. "Please feed my growing family". I can't believe people follow that guy like he's a God of photography or something.
11-10-2010, 01:37 AM   #94
Inactive Account

Hello Pentax Forums.

After recently purchasing a K-R with both the 18-55 and 55-300 zoom lenses for $769.95, I feel a bit worried.
Where did you buy the Kr with both 18-55mm+55-300mm zoom lenses for $769.95? This is a great price? Do let me know the site/store name. I want to buy a Kr with 2 lens kit.

11-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #95
Pentaxian

I can only think that if someone buys a camera and becomes more concerned about resale value than what the camera can do for them, then they are buying it for all the wrong reasons.

And yeah. where did you get a twin kit for that price?
11-10-2010, 04:48 AM   #96
Site Supporter

Hi Shane,

Don't worry too much about the Pentax system you bought. It is a great system. I have been using Pentax for 20 years already.

Don't bother about what others say about the brand. Alot of people who are Canon and Nikon users also buy adapters to use our lenses on their systems.

So, what does that tell you? Use the system and have fun and show others that you have a better system than them.

Here in Singapore, we Pentaxians also face the same issues. We just show them by putting one in their hands and they have been converted.

Cheers . . .
11-10-2010, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #97
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
I don't care what you say, if the K-x hadn't generated the sales it did over the past twelve months, Pentax would be a hurting toad right now.
Now there's a news flash! If a company's best selling product hadn't sold as well as it did, it would have hurt them financially. Who woulda thunk it?
Let me ask you this. Had Pentax NOT had the K-x in their lineup since Q2/2009, what financial shape would they be in right now?
Are you suggesting that if a company doesn't have a particular product to sell they can't make money from it? Hmmm. Interesting.
That statement demonstrates how well managed they are because they recognized what the market was and provided a product for it.
I'm not an economist, so this is just a guess, but I'll bet that if GM hadn't had any motor vehicles in their lineup last year, they probably
wouldn't have done very well financially, either.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-10-2010 at 11:36 AM.
11-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm not an economist, so this is just a guess, but I'll bet that if GM hadn't had any motor vehicles in their lineup last year, they probably
wouldn't have done very well financially, either.
===================================

GM hasn't made ONE DOLLAR in profit in a number of years. In fact, they LOST over $4 BILLION in 2009 alone.They are surviving on OBAMA BAILOUT MONEY!

general motors 2009 profit - Google Search

Last time I checked, Pentax didn't get any of that.

11-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #99
Veteran Member

They are surviving on OBAMA BAILOUT MONEY! Last time I checked, Pentax didn't get any of that.

Many companies survive just fine with a smaller market share. They don't generate huge bucks like Canon but they do just fine.

This is an extreme example, a local beer company. A Toronto example would be Steamwhistle. They are doing very well, and the people who work there make nice salaries. They don't move beer like Budwiser, but they produce less and have less mouths to feed. Pentax would only die if they launched a whole slew of new products (and too many copies of each) and no one bought any of them. However it appears that Hoya has been helpful for Pentax and is smart enough not to make a gross error like that. Their lenses and cameras might seem a little "safe" (no 14mm f2.8, $2000, full frame primes here!), but they do tend to sell well (proportionally speaking).

I saw a good interview recently with the American Pentax CEO, and he commented that working for a smaller camera company has been fun because they tend to do more unique things, and it's easier for them to instigate change. Apple survived for decades as an also-ran computer company, and now they are competing directly with Google!
11-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #100

Don't worry about "investing" in the Pentax system.
First off, all the other reasons already pointed out. Pentax has been around forever, they practically invented (not literally) the SLR and standardized it's form. They were the innovators up until the 1980's. And are poised to be that again. Value for dollar, it doesn't get any better then this.
Second, used Pentax lenses have been going up in price for years now. If you buy one today at a good price, chances are in a few years IF you decide to change systems, you can sell all your accumulated lenses and accessories for as much or possibly more then you paid for them to begin with. The Pentax market share is growing, if they continue on this same path, you have nothing to worry about.
11-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #101
Inactive Account

Where did you get the k-r for under 800 wit the 300mm lens? I would be very interested...
11-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #102
Ira
Inactive Account

Hello Pentax Forums.

After recently purchasing a K-R with both the 18-55 and 55-300 zoom lenses for $769.95, I feel a bit worried.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I know this is a rather poor introduction on my behalf, as I'm essentially whining here. But I *do* need some input from users of this system who have experienced what it has and has not offered.

Thank you for reading and letting me into your community. I look forward to the responses. :-)
Did you have this same feeling the last time you bought a refrigerator or washing machine?

My guess is yes.

Take some pictures, and get over it.
11-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #103
Ira
Inactive Account

Rawr, is that necessary? Really?

Oh well, I'm done responding to this. If you guys want to keep it alive, go for it. For my part, I'm finished.

Thanks to all those who made positive, constructive comments. I appreciate it.

Have a good one.
I don't think you realize that even the negative comments were meant to be constructive.
11-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #104
Forum Member

Not to long ago I picked up a Pentax camera. At first I was leaning towards the Canon, and Nikon brands names because of their popularity, but I have to admit, once I put the K-7 in my hand, I was pretty much sold. I liked the way it felt, it was solid, it felt tough, it's weather sealed, and I take great pictures with it (no complaints with it so far). Plus after researching it, and reading many different reviews from professionals, and the average consumer, it was an easy choice to make.

One benefit you get with Pentax DSLR's that you don't with some of the competition is that, if down the road you decide you want to upgrade your Pentax with a higher end model you wont have to spend extra money on lenses, because your existing lens kit is compatible with all Pentax DSLR's.

I think you made a good choice, and got your camera for a great deal JustShane, and if the reviews you have read on your particular model says it's good then let the camera speak for it self.

Everyone one has their own personal opinion on what camera manufacturer is better, but if you really want to see the quality of what a Pentax camera can do take a peek at many of the different member's albums in this forum, and I'm sure you will be convinced that Pentax is just as good or better than the competition.

Last edited by liquid0; 11-10-2010 at 06:32 PM.
11-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #105
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Guess I'm breaking my own rule here by replying, but oh well.

To EVERYONE::

I got this kit from Newegg last Friday. It was a "one-day-only" deal and Pentax happened to be the only camera manufacturer left in stock. I had heard wonderful things about their bodies and the value the Pentax system represents, so I pulled the trigger. Obviously, I had a little buyer's remorse, but I'm over it now. I'm confident in this camera and look forward to getting out there and taking some pictures.

(Oh, and another plus about this whole deal is that I discovered you guys, Pentax Forums. The community is lively here and I appreciate getting responses that show some real thought and consideration behind them. I look forward to returning the favor.)

Thanks once again. Happy shooting!