Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #46

Photos: Albums
I'm very scared too.......but not for the reasons of the OP.
I have ordered the K-5 , and i am very scared to take it out in public places. I will always be worrying that some envious canikon shooter will mug me for my camera. I mean, what self- respecting Canon or Nikon shooter is ever going to go into a camera store and ask to buy a PENTAX. ha ha ha.

11-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As others have said, no need to worry. First of all, from what I can see, Pentax is really pushing to the top in cameras after more than a few years of trailing the herd. The glass has always been great, but there have been some lean years with regards to camera bodies. That is over and I see more and more joining the Pentax faithful.

Obviously no one can forsee the future, but I think Olympus and Sony are in a lot more trouble at present than Pentax.
11-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I went to a workshop given by my photo club today. I am used to being the only Pentax shooter among over 100 members. Until today. I turned around and saw two new members comparing their (gasp) new Pentaxes: an *ist and a K10D!!!
11-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
All these are signs that the sky is really falling!
Your comment immediately reminds me of this little fella... just look at the date...

11-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To the OP, stop obsessing about whether or not Pentax will be around. Many before you have already done so years before and Pentax is still around to this day. Have fun and focus on the original purpose of having a camera, which is shooting photos if you didn't know! If you need inspiration, look at places like Flickr, especially HERE where you can find all the DSLRs by Pentax and the type photos people are able to get. Challenge yourself and see if your brand new K-R can even match the photos produced by cameras like the 7 year old *istD
11-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JustShane Quote
Hello Pentax Forums.

After recently purchasing a K-R with both the 18-55 and 55-300 zoom lenses for $769.95, I feel a bit worried.

Financially speaking, I know I saved a great deal of money and I'm confident that the K-r is actually a rock solid camera in and of itself. Everything I read about it impresses me and it sounds like this could be a huge step up from my old Canon Rebel XS.

However, I worry very much about the unpopularity of Pentax as a system and I fear for its future. The difficulty in finding individuals who use these cameras makes me uneasy. (Heck, even CameraLabs.com has yet to review and rate a Pentax!)

Plus, I do hear many individuals complaining about Pentax's Flash System and lack of swift auto-focus...

I guess I'm not sure WHAT to think exactly. On one hand, I got such a good price on this that I could maybe even PROFIT from the deal if I'm patient enough to sell it. On the other hand, that would yet again leave me on the search for a camera and I'm getting sick and tired of not taking photographs...

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I know this is a rather poor introduction on my behalf, as I'm essentially whining here. But I *do* need some input from users of this system who have experienced what it has and has not offered.

Thank you for reading and letting me into your community. I look forward to the responses. :-)
Oh there have to be some whiners..... but I bought my first Pentax in the mid 1960's. I think that is about 45 years ago. I've bought a variety of equipment since then and indend to buy a spanking new K5 in the near future.

It will be, I think, my 8th camera body in 45 years all of which were near the high end of their price range, and my 3rd digital body.

I see no occasion to panic.....
11-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don't get it. What is it about cameras that scares people. Buy it, use it, accept that no one has invented the perfect one.

11-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Don't bet the ranch on it. There are many out of production lenses selling for far more than the Original New Price.

Exactly. eg. just try to buy a discounted new Zeiss lens since the company officially announced cessation of manufacture in K-mount a few months back.

Sorry to disappoint the firesale seekers. You might have more luck at a Sotherbys than a fleaBay auction in the future.

.R.
11-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #54
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alright guys, I think it's settled. My drama-filled entry comes to an end.

I'm keeping the K-r and hoping for the best. Yes, I did have a pretty strong case of buyer's remorse, but that's only because Pentax is a rather obscure brand in comparison to Canon or Nikon.

I admittedly still wish they were a bit more popular so that I could maybe find their lenses on SALE, but I'm a cheap-ass so what do I know?

Thanks for the responses everyone. Some are rather entertaining, even if they are critical of me. :-D
11-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenses on sale? It's the internet buddy. Between Amazon, Ebay, the marketplace here, and Google product search, I've never paid full price for camera gear I own. And that all Pentax or Pentax compatible gear
11-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #56
Pentaxian

I'll only say once:

Fear-Driven Culture

Emotion guided consumers, that's all a monopolized market needs to perpetuate itself.
11-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
I'm very scared too.......but not for the reasons of the OP.
I have ordered the K-5 , and i am very scared to take it out in public places. I will always be worrying that some envious canikon shooter will mug me for my camera.
===========================

Sick and twisted! And funny as hell.
11-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Advertising serves two purposes.

First, is to introduce a product to the consumer.

Second, is to help the consumer believe they made the correct purchase.

With next to zero Pentax ad's, many people are left in a haze of post purchase doubt, looking for the ad's to confirm their purchase. But, sadly pentax does not advertise, and many people are simply left to fend for themselves.

When I bought a Nikon, they sent me an Ashton Kutcher love doll, that is how I KNEW I made the right purchase. I didn't even have the camera out of the box, and BAM, it was the best camera ever.
11-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JustShane Quote
Hello Pentax Forums.

After recently purchasing a K-R with both the 18-55 and 55-300 zoom lenses for $769.95, I feel a bit worried.

Financially speaking, I know I saved a great deal of money and I'm confident that the K-r is actually a rock solid camera in and of itself. Everything I read about it impresses me and it sounds like this could be a huge step up from my old Canon Rebel XS.

However, I worry very much about the unpopularity of Pentax as a system and I fear for its future. The difficulty in finding individuals who use these cameras makes me uneasy. (Heck, even CameraLabs.com has yet to review and rate a Pentax!)

Plus, I do hear many individuals complaining about Pentax's Flash System and lack of swift auto-focus...

I guess I'm not sure WHAT to think exactly. On one hand, I got such a good price on this that I could maybe even PROFIT from the deal if I'm patient enough to sell it. On the other hand, that would yet again leave me on the search for a camera and I'm getting sick and tired of not taking photographs...

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I know this is a rather poor introduction on my behalf, as I'm essentially whining here. But I *do* need some input from users of this system who have experienced what it has and has not offered.

Thank you for reading and letting me into your community. I look forward to the responses. :-)
don't worry too much on why Pentax is not as popular as that of other brands or don't see much people or fellow shooters of the brand on the streets because no matter how many other brand shooters of the same brand are out there, you'd be most likely shoot on your own minding your own business. I dunno but I experience more snobbery from many holders of the same brand as opposed to a few that more or less give his/her deserved notice from a fellow photographer.

AF is reliable and good but not as ultra-fast than other brands, but will that affect your shooting? flash system is not as great as that of other brands, but the Metz is a great flash brand if you are looking for consistency, power and reliability.
11-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #60
Forum Member

i am quite surprise many new camera users never heard of pentax, isn't pentax have been around long enough and have many classics like spotmatic or takumar lense.