Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkang Quote
i am quite surprise many new camera users never heard of pentax, isn't pentax have been around long enough and have many classics like spotmatic or takumar lense.
I believe those who haven't heard of Pentax were only born recently (circa 90's).

11-07-2010, 04:34 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I just don't get it. What is it about cameras that scares people.
Being a bit (a lot actually) closer to the newbie experience, I can definitely understand this. The idea of spending >$500 for a camera can seem positively frivolous. Plus, reading specs and reviews can be dizzying before you have enough experience to understand what features/specs are going to be important to you and which are not.

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
When I bought a Nikon, they sent me an Ashton Kutcher love doll, that is how I KNEW I made the right purchase. I didn't even have the camera out of the box, and BAM, it was the best camera ever.
Maybe Pentax should send a Ned Bunnell doll?
11-07-2010, 05:09 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don't get it. What is it about cameras that scares people. Buy it, use it, accept that no one has invented the perfect one.
I hate to say it, but nikon and canon forums are a big source of this fear. If someone posts a question about Pentax there, invariably, the comment "you don't know if your camera company will be around in five years" comes up. My wife a couple of years ago posted a short entry on her blog as to why she shoots Pentax and several people e mailed her and told her that it wasn't right to turn beginning photographers to a "dying company." These sorts of things get repeated often enough that they sound true, even if they are far from it.
11-07-2010, 06:18 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I hate to say it, but nikon and canon forums are a big source of this fear. If someone posts a question about Pentax there, invariably, the comment "you don't know if your camera company will be around in five years" comes up. My wife a couple of years ago posted a short entry on her blog as to why she shoots Pentax and several people e mailed her and told her that it wasn't right to turn beginning photographers to a "dying company." These sorts of things get repeated often enough that they sound true, even if they are far from it.
Fair enough, but neither Nikon or Canon users can say for sure that what they have now will still work with what is made in 5 years.
Nikon has been a minefield of lens compatibility since they went AI in the early 80s, and Canon did completely screw their user base once, and would do it again in a heartbeat if they felt the need.

I would ask anyone who trusts Canon or Nikon because they are big to also have 100% faith in Wal-Mart and McDonalds because they are big too.

11-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #65

Nikon has been a minefield of lens compatibility since they went AI in the early 80s, and Canon did completely screw their user base once, and would do it again in a heartbeat if they felt the need.
Nikon has never really been a minefield if you have had a higher end camera, compared to Pentax where you still can't use the aperture ring properly on *any* dslr...

Can you really think of any upcoming change in SLR cameras that would validate the change of systems in the next several years? There has hardly been any technical improvements happening in lens mounts etc. now in about 20 years anyway...
11-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now this is scary!

"Dying company"? Um, I don't think so.
11-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crwl Quote
Nikon has never really been a minefield if you have had a higher end camera, compared to Pentax where you still can't use the aperture ring properly on *any* dslr...

Can you really think of any upcoming change in SLR cameras that would validate the change of systems in the next several years? There has hardly been any technical improvements happening in lens mounts etc. now in about 20 years anyway...
I dunno....my 'K' and 'M' series lenses, I can use the Aperture Ring just fine as if I was using a K1000...in fact with the Green Button it's even better

11-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Now this is scary!

"Dying company"? Um, I don't think so.
The K-5 may keep folks like us interested, but to me, where Pentax hit it out of the park as far as prospering for the future is with the Km/Kx/Kr line, especially the Kx. Here is a camera line with the features, quality and economics to spread the brand.
11-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My wife a couple of years ago posted a short entry on her blog as to why she shoots Pentax and several people e mailed her and told her that it wasn't right to turn beginning photographers to a "dying company." These sorts of things get repeated often enough that they sound true, even if they are far from it.
What a bunch of jerks.

Although, to be fair, a few years ago Pentax seemed in worse shape than it is now.
11-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Also a note for this thread, I think a lot of the trepidation about Pentax is a trickle down from the "Lords of Knowledge" like Ken Rockwell and Thom Hogan who really only know about their brand of choice and pretend to have a leading insight into the industry. How many times has Hogan predicted Pentax would disappear in the last few years only to be wrong? Now I see in his most recent predictions for 2011 he has another dismissive entry about Pentax supposedly treading water so he quipped that he shouldn't even bother updating his entry.

Thom, if a web search ever makes you find your way to this obscure little thread, I just want you to know that you're a dick.
11-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #71
SPB

QuoteOriginally posted by Itai Quote
Pentax has the most efficient interface and ergonomics of ANY camera manufacturer right now
- Itai
I agree with this entirely and this is what brought me to Pentax starting with the istDL.
11-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The K-5 may keep folks like us interested, but to me, where Pentax hit it out of the park as far as prospering for the future is with the Km/Kx/Kr line, especially the Kx. Here is a camera line with the features, quality and economics to spread the brand.
Oh, I agree (although I'd start that progression with the K100D, which is where I got on the Pentax Express): establishing a solid position at the entry-level was essential. But now they've followed that with a very attractive upgrade path straight through to the 645D.
11-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Oh, I agree (although I'd start that progression with the K100D, which is where I got on the Pentax Express): establishing a solid position at the entry-level was essential. But now they've followed that with a very attractive upgrade path straight through to the 645D.
Excellent point about the K100d. I loaned mine to some friends for a recent trip to France. They came back and immediately bought one on Ebay. (I guess they assumed I wouldn't want to sell mine) Even 4+ years out of being current, that camera is pulling new DSLR users in.
11-07-2010, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #74
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crwl Quote

And if you haven't got the top end model you have lenses that won't mount, metering that doesn't work, or complete lock up of the camera. I can think of several things that would cause Nikon or Canon to obsolete their present mount, which is one reason why I stay with a company that has not done a bait and switch with its customers.
As as aside, I also think Thom Hogan is a know nothing twit.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 11-07-2010 at 05:15 PM.
11-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
==============================

Had the K-x NOT been as successful worldwide as it had, the K-5 probably would not have seen the light of day.