Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
==============================

Had the K-x NOT been as successful worldwide as it had, the K-5 probably would not have seen the light of day.
Unfortunately that is pure conjecture because development for the K-5 would have started almost immediately after the K-7 was rolled out.
Sure the healthy sales of the K-x was good for the company's bottomline but the camera came out almost six months after the K-7. Basically the K-5 was already in the works.

11-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

Had the K-x NOT been as successful worldwide as it had, the K-5 probably would not have seen the light of day.
I'm not seeing your logic here, unless you are saying that Hoya would have pulled Pentax's plug, which is extremely doubtful.
11-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I am tired of seeing you put FUD crap like this. Do me a favour and crawl back under the rock you came from....
11-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I am tired of seeing you put FUD crap like this. Do me a favour and crawl back under the rock you came from....
=================================

I don't care what you say, if the K-x hadn't generated the sales it did over the past twelve months, Pentax would be a hurting toad right now.

I can't put my finger on the total # units sold, as compared to the K-7, but anyone remotely familiar with the camera market knows the K-x outsold the K-7 many times over. The volume of sales more than made up for the profit difference for Pentax between the two cameras over the past 12 months.

The K-7 was the flasghip for Pentax in the same period.

Let me ask you this. Had Pentax NOT had the K-x in their lineup since Q2/2009, what financial shape would they be in right now?

Pentax K-x - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pentax K-7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #80
Pentaxian

I don't think there is anything to worry about...re: Pentax's demise. Look at the fact that in the past short while they have unveiled very competitive cameras...the 645D, the K-5, the KR and the KX has received accolades from many.
11-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #81
Veteran Member

I'm a huge fan of the K-x, but as Dave pointed out above, it was the latest in a series of successful inexpensive DSLR models. I am not aware of information indicating that the life of the company was in the balance.
11-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by jgmankos Quote
I dunno....my 'K' and 'M' series lenses, I can use the Aperture Ring just fine as if I was using a K1000...in fact with the Green Button it's even better
You probably don't remember how using the aperture ring instantly affects the exposure meter even in the lowest end of film cameras like the K1000, then.

I can understand that, but please don't claim that stop down and wide open metering are the same thing. There are DSLR bodies from other manufacturers that allow you to use the aperture ring and the meter instantly follows your choice, and they even show the chosen aperture in the viewfinder.

If Pentax *really* cared about us using old glass, they could implement that too, and it wouldn't cost that much. They also could implement a Nikon-style electronic rangefinder for manual focusing where you can use any (not just the center) focus point for checking focus, and the camera would also tell you where you needed to turn the focus ring, ie. backward or forward. These are really nice features for those of us who really would like to use our old lenses, and there's no reason to get all defensive and angry if someone points out that Pentax maybe actually isn't the absolute best in this regard...

Anyway, this is not really related to the topic of this thread. I personally don't believe (or hope) that Pentax is going away anywhere soon. They have really solid models in the market right now - but I'd never say that they have the best cameras in the market. Nor would I say any other manufacturer has. You just need to choose what's important to you.

11-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #83
Veteran Member

If Pentax die tonight, will your K-r stop taking great pictures tomorrow ?
11-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #84
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax was here when I was just a twinkle in my daddy's eye--55 years ago.

And they're still here.
11-08-2010, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JustShane Quote
Hello Pentax Forums.

After recently purchasing a K-R with both the 18-55 and 55-300 zoom lenses for $769.95, I feel a bit worried.

Financially speaking, I know I saved a great deal of money and I'm confident that the K-r is actually a rock solid camera in and of itself. Everything I read about it impresses me and it sounds like this could be a huge step up from my old Canon Rebel XS.

However, I worry very much about the unpopularity of Pentax as a system and I fear for its future. The difficulty in finding individuals who use these cameras makes me uneasy. (Heck, even CameraLabs.com has yet to review and rate a Pentax!)

Plus, I do hear many individuals complaining about Pentax's Flash System and lack of swift auto-focus...

I guess I'm not sure WHAT to think exactly. On one hand, I got such a good price on this that I could maybe even PROFIT from the deal if I'm patient enough to sell it. On the other hand, that would yet again leave me on the search for a camera and I'm getting sick and tired of not taking photographs...

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I know this is a rather poor introduction on my behalf, as I'm essentially whining here. But I *do* need some input from users of this system who have experienced what it has and has not offered.

Thank you for reading and letting me into your community. I look forward to the responses. :-)
Please accept my appologies in advance for the following,

it amazes me to keep reading this trash

Yes canon and nikon may be financially larger companies, and you can go with them and perhaps feel more secure that the company will exist, but that has nothing to do with protecting your investment and insuring that what you purchase now will be useable in 5 years time, Just look back at history.

Canon has obsoleted their lens mount twice, and in both cases offered no backward compatability or adaptors for those lenses, onto the new bodies

Nikon made a minor change in the early days and this required grinding away part of the aperture ring to fit their first lenses on newer slrs. Now, when you look at their DSLR line up, only some bodies carry screw drive to use older AF lenses (entry level models cant) and only the top of the line bodies can meter with manual lenses.

so yes the companies are still around but that did not do a bit of good for millions of consumers that bought their gear in the past.

Now look at Pentax. You can mount screw mount lenses with an adaptor, all cameras can meter with both these screw mount lenses and with manual aperture K mounts, all cameras today can work with every AF lens ever made.

In the long run people have been better off than canon and nikon owners by picking pentax.

Tell me where is the risk here, I don't see it
11-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Pentax was here when I was just a twinkle in my daddy's eye--55 years ago.

And they're still here.
Our dads were twinkling at the same time.

Actually, it occurs to me that in the age in which we were born, the kind of concern that started this thread might have been more typical. In 1955, you took a job you thought you might have for the rest of your life. You moved to a house where you thought you would stay for decades. I knew lots of folks who committed to a brand of car from the big three, and stayed with it. (My God, what if Oldsmobile ceased to exist?).

When Kodak stopped making the Brownie Hawkeye, my childhood photos didn't disappear, and images of my younger siblings were still recorded in that box for years after Kodak stopped making it. The original poster has purchased a very versatile and capable rig that will be useful for many years to come.
11-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #87
Inactive Account

GeneV...

I just had to chuckle when reading your reply because I'm a "49" model twinkle in Dad's eye and can remember when my mother used a Kodak Brownie for a lot of my photos as I was growing up. And was I in heaven when I was allowed to get my first real camera--a Kodak Instamatic! In high school journalism our teacher/sponsor for the newspaper used a (wow!) Polaroid to capture instant black and white photos! I, too, have been debating between a Pentax K-x or K-r as my second DSLR but I am not worried about the company as long as I get a Pentax.
11-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #88
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Though it's very true that the gear I buy today will continue working even if Pentax folds tomorrow, it would leave me with no upgrade path. I'd be stuck with what I had and that's that.

This might not be such a bad thing if I owned a full-frame camera and lenses to match, but the K-r is no such thing and I own nothing in the way of professional glass. If my goal is to take photography seriously enough to the point of desiring an income from it, access to this kind of equipment becomes imperative.

Thankfully, Pentax IS NOT going out of business and I DO have faith that they will continue to make more cameras. Even now, they are coming closer and closer to the kind of camera one could trust to make a living off of.

Though the K-5 is not a full-frame model, it comes close to the kind of quality professionals would expect and I have faith that the future will only bring improvements on what is already a already stellar design.

No need for bitterness. :-) I just had a little buyer's remorse. :-D
11-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #89
SPB

For me I have sellers regret! For video I should have moved from Video 8 to mini-DV, instead I chose to upgrade video8 to SD card Handycam.

I have started to recover by buying a Sony DCR-HC51E mini-DV. At last I can go back to editing with Final Cut Express via Firewire direct without any need to mess about with conversion before my Mac will understand the files created by the camera.

The mini-dv has so many advantages.
11-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Longest troll thread ever on PFF.
10/10 OP.