Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

As a New Pentax User, I'm Scared. Very Scared.

Hello Pentax Forums.

After recently purchasing a K-R with both the 18-55 and 55-300 zoom lenses for $769.95, I feel a bit worried.

Financially speaking, I know I saved a great deal of money and I'm confident that the K-r is actually a rock solid camera in and of itself. Everything I read about it impresses me and it sounds like this could be a huge step up from my old Canon Rebel XS.

However, I worry very much about the unpopularity of Pentax as a system and I fear for its future. The difficulty in finding individuals who use these cameras makes me uneasy. (Heck, even CameraLabs.com has yet to review and rate a Pentax!)

Plus, I do hear many individuals complaining about Pentax's Flash System and lack of swift auto-focus...

I guess I'm not sure WHAT to think exactly. On one hand, I got such a good price on this that I could maybe even PROFIT from the deal if I'm patient enough to sell it. On the other hand, that would yet again leave me on the search for a camera and I'm getting sick and tired of not taking photographs...

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I know this is a rather poor introduction on my behalf, as I'm essentially whining here. But I *do* need some input from users of this system who have experienced what it has and has not offered.

Thank you for reading and letting me into your community. I look forward to the responses. :-)

11-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seriously. Use it for a few weeks first then make your own mind up. Pentax isn't perfect - no brand is - but like anything it's what you make of it.

And, don't be wildly surprised if, coming onto a Pentax forum, the opinions here might possibly be slightly pro Pentax =)
11-06-2010, 02:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The sky has been falling on Pentax for 20 years now, yet they're still here. Don't worry so much, and do like Nass said. Go out and shoot! And if they close up shop in 5 years, so what. The camera won't care.
11-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Dont worry so much Shane! And dont think so much!

Just give the camera a chance, take lots of pictures and have fun. I you decide that it doesnt fit you for whatever reason, then its ok, you'd have at least tried it!

I changed systems three times before finding myself with Pentax. I was only feeling like you the first time though The next time i didnt even cared, just went ahead and changed systems. Its only gadgets Shane!!! They all are used to take pictures!

Sure there is flaws to the Pentax system as there are to all brand. But i strongly believe that AF is getting really close to the competition. I have a K-7 and the AF 540 flash. They work flawlesly and i get great exposures with them. The bad flash rep is an thing of the past, so its getting better.

I have to point out that Cameralabs has reviewed some Pentax glass, the Limiteds if i remeber right.

So go out and take pictures and and try to make up your own mind about what you like and dont about Pentax.

There several great things about Pentax that the other brands cant compete with!

11-06-2010, 03:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There was the same bitching & moaning about the demise of Pentax when I bought the K100D Super in Aug 2007 and the K20D in Oct 2008. Fact is, with the success of the K-x, the user base must be considerably bigger now.

Dan.
11-06-2010, 03:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Go take photos and enjoy knowing your little K-r is out performing, for less money, every Canikon you see. Pentax is growing very fast since the K20d, and even faster since the K-x, would not be surprised to see it back on top in 10 yrs.
11-06-2010, 03:47 AM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

I agree with the earlier posts. You will find a lot of support in this Forum, but also in the public.

In September, I went to see a special wave, called tidal bore, in Europe. The first time, we were 3 Pentax owners about 5 dSLRs! The second time, there were 4 Pentax for 9 dSLRs. Each time, there were plenty of friendly discussions/exchanges between the Pentax owners. Clearly we are many Pentaxians. Why should you be scared?

11-06-2010, 03:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Would you be as scared and uneasy for the future if you bought a car from Mazda or Subaru instead of Ford or GM or Toyota? Probably not. I mean it's just a car. Yet Mazda or Subaru probably have about the same percentage share of the car market that Pentax has of the camera market.

Your concerns simply reflect the success of the marketing budgets behind competing brands like Nikon or Canon in winning consumer mindshare in various markets, especially the USA, and the poor brand-recognition Pentax has amongst new camera buyers, particularly younger-generation buyers who don't remember Pentax from the film days.

Pentax has been making cameras and lenses since before World War 2, before Canon and Nikon even, and produce a lineup of gear that ranges from high-end professional medium format cameras to low-end point and shoots. They know their stuff and aren't going away anytime soon.

Your worries and unease are groundless and, to be frank, hard to understand. At the end of the day, your K-r is just a camera, a device for taking pictures, just like a toaster is a device for making toast. If it performs well and does it's job, that's all that is important. You aren't being asked to marry the thing.
11-06-2010, 04:00 AM   #9
SPB

Just use and enjoy your camera. I love Pentax DSLR's their controls are in the right place and I have no problems with multiple Pentax flash guns and wireless operation of them. It is a darn good system and like every other system ever made has its own little "faults". To some people "faults" and other people advantage. I don't like the lack of dealers. But I got used to that. Everywhere I go is Canon/Nikon and yet I believe that the Pentax brand is just as good.
11-06-2010, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
don't be a coward, continuosly thinking what others are thinking. Do You like the camera? do You like its ergonomics?, its performance? form factor? if You do, then the hell with others.. that's at least how i think.

On the other hand, In Germany, the country that makes bmw, Mercedes benz, audi, and other super cars of the world, Pentax is valued much higher than in such marketing driven US, also in Europe in general, like scandinavian countries, France, etc... pentax is climbing up with every year. And my thoughts are that during next 2 years it will become more equal competitor in the top 3 not, third as it was for ten last years, but 3rd with more market share than we used to see it.

Also with more market share, they'll catch up faster canokons in various areas, like flash system and long telephoto lenses.

So enough thinking, go and take pictures and share! show them and answer proudly, which brand tool, helped you to take these pictures..
11-06-2010, 04:25 AM   #11

I agree with the above. Just use it and you will see how great pentax is. Also pentax still spends money in R&D and brings out new great cameras like the 5D en lenses like the DA* and limited series. Not to mention all the second hand older lenses.
11-06-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JustShane Quote
Hello Pentax Forums.

After recently purchasing a K-R with both the 18-55 and 55-300 zoom lenses for $769.95, I feel a bit worried.

Thank you for reading and letting me into your community. I look forward to the responses. :-)
=============================

I have had the K-x for a year, and enjoy taking pictures with it. It is light, rugged, compact, and easy to use.

#1 - You bought a really capable camera, with a full range of optics up to 300mm for a really good price.

#2 - The K-r is capable of taking excellent snapshots right out of the box, and has a wealth of options and feature.

#3 - You won't find better support or a tighter group of enthusiasts than Pentaxians.

#4 - Your camera will be current for at least another year

#5 - Like everyone says, if Pentax goes belly up in this global economy, you will at least have a great camera to use for years and years.

Pentax has been the underdog ever since I bought my first ME Super back in 1980. Traditionally, the cost-performance ratio of Pentax has always been excellent, and usually better than Nikon or Canon. That IMO, is changing, and may not be the case any longer (price/performance) in the flagship (K-5).

But with the K-x, you got a great camera kit for a really great price. While it won't do 1080p, it will do respectable 720p.
11-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Quick, take the camera and lenses back and get another Canon. End of worries.

Jason
11-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

If you're scared.......Get a big dog!
11-06-2010, 05:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Actually, I'm against all the pieces of advice given above. If your camera was such a good deal (and we know how good a camera it is, since most of us are familiar with K-r's predecessor), I'd say go ahead an sell it. Make a profit, then buy a no-risk camera: inferior, quite a bit more expensive, but without the future risk factor. Makes sense--just please, when you do it, post a sale thread on the forum.