Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Pentax DSLR Slow Focus Problems???

I been reading a lot about Pentax slow focusing problems. It seems like a lot of reviews people complain about slow focusing. How true is this? Does this hold true for the latest K5 model?

Thanks

11-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by conradcjc Quote
I been reading a lot about Pentax slow focusing problems. It seems like a lot of reviews people complain about slow focusing. How true is this? Does this hold true for the latest K5 model?

Thanks
It is slow on the older models.

The K-5 is much faster.
11-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by conradcjc Quote
Does this hold true for the latest K5 model?

NO.No.NO. And No again.
11-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AF was never slow under normal conditions (except with some SDM lenses), but the older bodies did have trouble with continuous focusing and low-light situations. That's been addressed through the K-5, which has an extremely accurate AF system that doesn't hunt as the old cameras did!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
That is what I wanted to hear. I am probably leaning towards that K5. I hear too many good things.
11-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
even the older Pentax AF systems would keep trying in low light when e.g. Canon gives up. It did get slower more quickly than other systems though (it used the popup flash for an AF assist lamp while other systems had a built-in LED and most people didn't pop up the pentax flash when they should have).
The low-light AF has been comparable since the K7 unless you go to the expensive systems like the 1DmkIII or the D700/D300 which do a lot better w/ predictive AF...
11-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Compared to my old K10D the AF performance of K-5 is night and day... There were improvements in the K20D and K-7 but not so big improvements IMO.
K-5 rocks. Of course it doesn't have the tracking intelligence of hi-end Nikons, but the speed is there.