Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How does my camera always have the right date/time?

This is something I've been wondering about for a while now, how does my GX-10 always know what time it is, even though I've never set the time on its had the battery in and out of it? Not really important, I'm just curious.

11-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure there's an internal backup battery- most modern devices have one!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter

If you've ever assembled/taken apart a computer, it is analogous to the CMOS battery on a motherboard. It is a small (usually lithium) battery, independent of the main power supply, that provides constant power to maintain the system time and BIOS settings even when the computer is completely disconnected from power. The internal battery of the camera (and many high tech electronics) is the same concept.

Eventually it will die, and require replacement (easy for computers, not so easy for self contained electronics), but for most consumer electronics, the device will itself be replaced long before that happens because the power drain is so small (10+ years).
11-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt it's a battery. My feel is that it is a super capacitor.

It is charged when the 'normal' battery is in the camera. If your camera is left without a battery for a long time, it will eventually forget the time (similar to a battery that runs flat). Put your 'normal' battery back in, set the time, and it's good for a long time again.

11-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its a bug. They will solve it whn they release the K-3
11-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

there were a few times my k200d forgot the time and date after not using it for months. I don't really know how this work.
Try not using it months and leave the battery out, i will eventually reset the time
11-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax user Quote
there were a few times my k200d forgot the time and date after not using it for months. I don't really know how this work.
Try not using it months and leave the battery out, i will eventually reset the time
If this is the case, then as Sterretje said, it's probably a ("super")capacitor. Capacitors store much less energy than a battery, and rapidly self discharge, so they will lose charge much sooner, but can be "recharged" an effectively unlimited number of times.

Devices that use battery powered RTCs will never "forget" until the battery dies (or is manually reset), after which it will be unable to remember at all until the battery is replaced (cannot be recharged).
11-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm quite sure it's a capacitor instead of a battery. Hint: if it were a battery, the manual would mention it - how to change it when necessary.
IIRC the *istD had a battery.

11-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most likely a capacitor combined with minuscule power consumption of the real time clock.
11-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
raz

My K100D loses the time when it doesn't have the batteries in it for a while.
11-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax user Quote
My K200D would lose its date and time when stored without a battery.