Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Picture count different!!!

Can someone please explain to me this unexplainable occurrence.

I went to the Giants World Series Parade with an empty (formatted) 8gb card that said it can hold 386 photos BUT at the end of the day the folder on my Kx said I had taken 507 photos with 75 still available. When I got home I double checked and I still had 75 pics left with 507 taken. I have shot the card to empty before and got exactly 386 so why now is it getting 582?

I was shooting in Hi Continuous the whole time was in RAW DNG format. Any ideas?

11-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you somehow change from shooting RAW to JPEG? Or change the quality of JPEG?
11-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The size of each photo depends on the amount of areas of contrast, light and dark. Picture counts will vary as to the subject matter. DNGs take up less space than PEFs do, also. Did you change your raw photo format?

Last edited by davidreilly3207; 11-07-2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling
11-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
The size of each photo depends on the amount of areas of contrast, light and dark. Picture counts will vary as to the subject matter. DNGs take up less space than PEFs do, also. Did you change your raw photo format?
Yup.

Your pictures aren't a fixed file size. The camera can only estimate. Some have far more infomation than others.

11-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote

I went to the Giants World Series Parade with an empty (formatted) 8gb card that said it can hold 386 photos BUT at the end of the day the folder on my Kx said I had taken 507 photos with 75 still available. When I got home I double checked and I still had 75 pics left with 507 taken. I have shot the card to empty before and got exactly 386 so why now is it getting 582?
Like others have said many unpredictable variables are in play there, making forecast accuracy not only averaged-based, but largely dynamic too, by necessity.

On top of that, at any given calc, or recalc instance; the camera should also err on the conservative side, else we owners would be cursing for being robbed when stated expectations are not reasonably delivered.

So when you work out how long that proverbial piece of string really is, then knowing the exact capacity of a memory card in image-storage units, will itself no longer be an enigma either.

On thinking about it, along with calculations being done based on the camera's full configuration state at a given time, there's also the implied issues of filesystem space block-units and fragmentation, temp file write~deletions, or in-cam combination activity, like HDR, etc. etc., to contend.
Marvelous what these gadgets get up to these days... innit.
But surely there are greater things to ponder, so I'll go back to watching my toenails grow now.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-07-2010 at 11:57 PM.
11-08-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Never changed from DNG.

I knew that not all files were the same size and that they depend on certain aspects of the image but for me to get 200 more photos than what was reported seemed too much even when taking into account the variables mentioned. Oh well, its not a big deal, I just thought it was a little odd.
11-08-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I knew that not all files were the same size and that they depend on certain aspects of the image but for me to get 200 more photos than what was reported seemed too much even when taking into account the variables mentioned. Oh well, its not a big deal, I just thought it was a little odd.
I find that my K10D is quite conservative when estimating the number of PEFs left, but since the size varies from ~9MB to ~16MB, with most of the pictures around 11-12MB, I'm happy that it's displaying more of a lower bound than the most probable number, because some days I'm shooting in environments where everything ends up at around 16MB.
11-08-2010, 03:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Both DNG and PEF are compressed therefore file size varies depending on image content.
While estimating frames left quantity Pentax takes into account maximum file size. Therefore you can always squeeze more pictures into your card than initial estimation.
Probably this conservative approach is better than some optimistic approach

11-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I find that my K10D is quite conservative when estimating the number of PEFs left, but since the size varies from ~9MB to ~16MB, with most of the pictures around 11-12MB, I'm happy that it's displaying more of a lower bound than the most probable number, because some days I'm shooting in environments where everything ends up at around 16MB.
Yeah my photos are from 9mb up to 17mb with the majority being 13-14mb. But I'm glad to know it is not an error on the cameras part just variables in photo size.
11-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

SO..........where are the shots?? I wanna see the Phreak and Mr. Renteria.
11-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by subeeds Quote
SO..........where are the shots?? I wanna see the Phreak and Mr. Renteria.
Haha, I'm very hesitant to show them and thats because I was holding the camera as high up as I could and just holding down the shutter button and to be completely honest, about 30 out of >500 were just ok and even less of the players themselves.

Let me try to "fix" them best I can, then I'll post some.