Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I just can't understand that - here a used K-7 still goes for equivalent of almost 1000$.
$1000? Know of anyone interested in buying one? I'd be happy to ship one from Athens to Prague.

Jason

11-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #107
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The asking rate for a used K7 here at PF is ranging from $650 - $750 depending on the seller and what comes with.

11-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #108
Forum Member

Those who are used to shooting colour film (ISO 50 to 200, occasionally straying into 400 territory) must wonder what all this fuss is about. We used fast glass and got on with it. For me at any rate the K-7 is a fine tool, although what I really want is my Contax Aria with a full-frame digital back. Meantime the K-7 does me fine.

Why would anyone need ISO 6400 or 12800 or 51200 unless they're using a weedy slow zoom, or into extreme long-range wildlife or professional sport, for which the lenses cost many times more than any body?
11-12-2010, 03:59 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
$1000? Know of anyone interested in buying one? I'd be happy to ship one from Athens to Prague.

Jason
That price of 17000CZK was in an online auction. I didn't buy used K-7 in May for 16000, so whoever made that bid was probably out of his mind.

11-12-2010, 06:40 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote
Why would anyone need ISO 6400 or 12800 or 51200 unless they're using a weedy slow zoom, or into extreme long-range wildlife or professional sport, for which the lenses cost many times more than any body?
For one thing, I think it's because it opens to the world of night photography, and lower light in general without resorting to flash - which is often impractical anyway.

Then there's the ability of mainstream cameras to 'see' and clearly define well beyond that of human vision, like cats for instance at 6x better in low light, is a pretty exciting and useful conception really, as I see it anyway.

Sure not everyone needs it though.

.R.
11-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
For one thing, I think it's because it opens to the world of night photography, and lower light in general without resorting to flash - which is often impractical anyway.

Then there's the ability of mainstream cameras to 'see' and clearly define well beyond that of human vision, like cats for instance at 6x better in low light, is a pretty exciting and useful conception really, as I see it anyway.

Sure not everyone needs it though.

.R.
for me improving ISO 6400 IQ close to base ISO IQ level + 18 EV DR would be better and would trump a camera with higher ISO sensitivity like ISO 51,200 anyday.

I know that the IQ at 6400 has improved in the K-5, and Pentax don't necessary have to extended the ISO but rather continue to improve the max ISO (6400) and increase DR.
11-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #112
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote
Those who are used to shooting colour film (ISO 50 to 200, occasionally straying into 400 territory) must wonder what all this fuss is about. We used fast glass and got on with it. For me at any rate the K-7 is a fine tool, although what I really want is my Contax Aria with a full-frame digital back. Meantime the K-7 does me fine.

I've used ISO at that level on my K-x, and not just for night shots. There are many venues for performances where flash is unwelcome and subjects are in motion.
11-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #113

Why would I dump my K-7?

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
How many K7 owners intend to hold on to their cameras for the next couple Years, even though the K5's sensor tends to make our K7's look three years older than they really are? After reading all this info on the K5, I'm really wondering why Pentax brought out such a great body, and put in such a weak sensor. I was looking on dxo mark, and was surprised to see how many much older camera's beat the K7's noise, and dynamic range. Just makes one feel a bit ripped off.
I'm using the K-7 as my primary body, I'm well pleased. My backup is my ist DS.
For full frame I'm using my KM and K1000.
I have no intention or replacing the K-7 till a full frame is out and proven. I don't view cameras as "consumer electronics". I started out with a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic which I've just repaired for fun.
I think it's a shame the way we demand new machines every few months.
Try High ISO (ASA) on a film camera, the K-7 is a marvel.
Tony Renier,
Green Bay, WI USA

11-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #114
Site Supporter

My K7 is barely a year old. I plan on using it until it falls apart, fixing it, and then using it some more.

I care about IQ just as much as the next person, but I rarely ever need super high ISO thanks to semi-fast lenses. Most of the time, I am between 100 and 400 ISO, sometimes going into 800, and very rarely using 1600 without complaints. The camera fits my needs and I see no point in upgrading anytime soon.
11-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I think the differance between the K7 and the K5 isn't enough to justify a upgrade.
I was actually thinking the same thing.

The k5 is a great camera, no doubt, but it certainly doesn't mean the k7 is a bad one.
I guess it comes down to budget and really needing what the k5 offers over the k7.
Many others, like myself, are still plodding on with older cameras, and seem content.

I was planning on buying a K-7 this year, but held back...