Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Waited about a week to get rid of it after I got my K5.

Thought about keeping it as a second body, but the whole reason I bought the K5 was to replace the two bodies I had (K7 and Kx) into a single body.

11-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Thought about keeping it as a second body, but the whole reason I bought the K5 was to replace the two bodies I had (K7 and Kx) into a single body.
Hmmm...I like that idea!
11-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Hmmm...I like that idea!
It's a good idea in principle until you do the math and realize that even after you sell the K-x and the K-7, you still have to come up with over $500 to buy the K-5
11-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hope that the K-5 replacement similarly sends K-5 used supply skyrocketing so I can snatch one up in a couple years for cheap

11-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
It's a good idea in principle until you do the math and realize that even after you sell the K-x and the K-7, you still have to come up with over $500 to buy the K-5
Funny, as I was in the same situation, but selling both earned me almost enough for the K5 (still missing 70€)...
For once French users didn't get trounced...
11-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #21

I just received my new K7. The only flaws I see are in my skills.
11-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #22
Pentaxian

K-7 Is nice camera, even so that K-5 IS better. But I have to travel a litle a bit more with mine before taking an more developed and superior one. It still has a lot more to give to me. I have to head my intrest of buying new(or used) stuff, to new lences and flashguns...

11-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Funny, as I was in the same situation, but selling both earned me almost enough for the K5 (still missing 70€)...
For once French users didn't get trounced...
It is the reverse of the normal situation, where US buyers typically have the advantage of lower prices relative to the rest of the world
11-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, i upgraded from the K100D to the K7, so i guess i skip the K5 (and maybe even the K3?) until i upgrade again.
I think the differance between the K7 and the K5 isn't enough to justify a upgrade.
11-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by curiouspeter Quote
I just received my new K7. The only flaws I see are in my skills.

Heheh, unfortunately a lot of people will buy a K-5 hoping it improves that bit, and for those people, it never will.
11-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
Heheh, unfortunately a lot of people will buy a K-5 hoping it improves that bit, and for those people, it never will.
Hey, I can hope, can't I?
11-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Got rid of mine as soon as I saw a test image taken by the K-5 posted at Pentax Japan. Just blown away by the dynamic range of the shot.
11-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
After reading all this info on the K5, I'm really wondering why Pentax brought out such a great body, and put in such a weak sensor. I was looking on dxo mark, and was surprised to see how many much older camera's beat the K7's noise, and dynamic range. Just makes one feel a bit ripped off.
Well first, all those millions of fabulous photos ever taken with K-7s will have be deleted or at least relabeled:

CAUTION: This was taken with a camera that, in hindsight, was declared to have a REALLY CRAPPY INFERIOR sensor compared to its successor, so for your own safely please don't even look at it or else you'll be infected with nasty germs.

There will be the usual paint thrown, eBay refusing to even list K-7s because they're so worthless, abductions, rioting, bomb treats, etc...

Then follows the retrospective class action against Pentax, I can hear the lawyers salivating now...

.R.
11-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
it will be a long time before i can afford a K-5 but im blown away by its high iso performance. on dxomark it beats out the canon 5d mark ii which to me is ludacris.

Some people can justify the K5 and some people can't i think it boils down to your use of the camera. I do a lot of indoor shooting and i hate flash... so high iso performance is of great importance to me and as such im lusting after the K5.

outdoors on a bright sunny day im sure the k7 performs great in comparison
11-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
How many K7 owners intend to hold on to their cameras for the next couple Years, even though the K5's sensor tends to make our K7's look three years older than they really are? After reading all this info on the K5, I'm really wondering why Pentax brought out such a great body, and put in such a weak sensor. I was looking on dxo mark, and was surprised to see how many much older camera's beat the K7's noise, and dynamic range. Just makes one feel a bit ripped off.
While I'm pleased as punch that the K5 rates as high as it does I don't find anything wrong with the K7. One just has to know how to work within the limitations of the camera. I for one have been quite happy with mine for the year I've had it. Yes, the K5 clearly out performs it in many aspects but that doesn't make the K7 a poor camera. Not wanting to let it sit however, mine will be offered up within the next couple weeks. Either here, or on ebay.