Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don't get it. Why would the OP feel ripped off? Did he not know what he was buying? Did he expect technology to come to a grinding halt when he bought a camera?

Compare the two cameras, The K7 has nearly the same colour depth as the K5, has an over 10 stops of ev range. It doesn't do so well at high ISO, but that wasn't much of a secret when it was released either.

So, what is the K7 good for?
Well, the average landscape scene is well under 10 stops, probably closer to 6 or 7, and landscapes tend to be shot at low ISO.
It is a good landscape camera.
It also has excellent bit depth, it is a good studio camera.

The reality is, if this is what a person does, the K5 isn't going to make a great big difference to their pictures.. More than likely, there will be some other parameter the person could change to garner a greater technical improvement in their photography.
This is not to say I am not enjoying the extra 3.5 or so stops of DR, or being able to crank the ISO up to 128,000 and still have very good image quality.

I'm just sayin that for a lot of what we do, the K7 is just fine, the K5 addresses what were considered major flaws in the k7.

Why would someone feel ripped off when a camera company makes a huge product improvement?
Should someone feel ripped of when the car they bought last year gets improved with 40 more horsepower this year?

11-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
silver k7 body.
*Eyes widen* I saw one ebay a few months after they were released in Japan, but I just could not pull the trigger given the premium price they were asking and my financial situation at the time. How is that nice rule of 3rds screen and stronger LCD cover among other things? That was a nice looking K-7 for sure.
11-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread's tone is ridiculous. Right, the K-7 sucks and its sensor is the worst EVA! Thats why so many beautiful images have been taken by it, with its crippled performance and all.

Seriously people :ugh: Congratz to everyone and their new K-5's! For me though, no thanks... im not willing to spend $1600 on an APSC camera for better high ISO which is irrelevant to people like me who do not shoot above 400 except upon rare occasions. YMMV
11-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Hey, I can hope, can't I?
lol, You see the K-5 improves ability, not skill...... However I've found a workaround by spending $$$ on FA lenses so as to appear I have at least 2+ stops more skill than i really do.... (I wonder if their a DxOMark for skill?)

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Well first, all those millions of fabulous photos ever taken with K-7s will have be deleted or at least relabeled:

CAUTION: This was taken with a camera that, in hindsight, was declared to have a REALLY CRAPPY INFERIOR sensor compared to its successor, so for your own safely please don't even look at it or else you'll be infected with nasty germs.

There will be the usual paint thrown, eBay refusing to even list K-7s because they're so worthless, abductions, rioting, bomb treats, etc...

Then follows the retrospective class action against Pentax, I can hear the lawyers salivating now...

.R.
Lol...

11-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #35
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
How many K7 owners intend to hold on to their cameras for the next couple Years, even though the K5's sensor tends to make our K7's look three years older than they really are?
I will. I'll hold on to it until it falls apart, which will take a long time given that I'm still using the K10D.

Oh, a really 3 year old camera - the horror, the horror!

K10D@ISO800 + Super Tak 50/1.4@1.4:

11-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Until it can no longer take pictures...I plan on buying the K-5 only to have a double body system. The K7 doesn't allow photographers to take pictures of unicorn galloping at full speed but it is still a great camera.
11-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by afroed Quote
Until it can no longer take pictures...I plan on buying the K-5 only to have a double body system. The K7 doesn't allow photographers to take pictures of unicorn galloping at full speed but it is still a great camera.
Actually, I heard Pentax was going to release new firmware for the K-7 to allow galloping unicorn capturing.

11-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Taken with a completely useless camera---- The K7..

11-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #39
Forum Member

I'll keep it until it breaks. If you're a camera enthusiast, you will dump the K-7 and buy a K-5 right now. After all, the K-7 is how old? If you are a photographer, you will use the K-7's strongest features for as long as you have them available to you. If your work includes a lot of low light shots, you bought the wrong hardware and will have to buy more.
11-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will hold onto the K7 unti it breaks or until the next generation comes long. I onl got the camera since March 2010 and I am very happy wth it. I used to own the K20D and the AF of the K7 is vastly improved so i got it to replace my K20D for the faster AF as I shoot a lot of school events.
11-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #41
Veteran Member

although the K-5 has a pretty impressive and tempting DR capability, and cleaner and very usable High ISO, and faster AF and more fps which could make the difference between a good picture and a great picture, I will stick with the K-7 until the K-5 gets cheaper ($700-$800) or Pentax comes up with something better than the K-5. I would contemplate on buying 2 K-5s maybe, one replacing the aging K-7 and one as a 2nd body. or I would consider a Sigma SD1 as another option which would mean I would sell some of the lenses that I have. my K-7 has a lot of shutter time use, so a replacement after 2 years would be logical. and Yes, for my use, the K-7 is a great and fine camera. the K-5 however, would give me more room and flexibility with the images that I capture which could increase productivity and success rate as well.
11-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #42

Shall I buy a k-5 now?

No, as I am processing good K-7 RAW files with Topaz Denoise 7 and Adobe CS5.

Can't get around K-7's weakness with low dynamic range however. If you like more of your landscape photos with detailed shadows and detailed highlights, get a K-5!

I'm saving my money for another limited lens, or a trip somewhere picturesque.

Adam Aitken
11-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #43
Inactive Account

I don't know why people are beating up the k-7 or getting all pissy that the k-5 blows it out of the water. Pentax released a better camera. That's what camera companies do. People should be celebrating that it's a big leap and not a tiny step forward.

That said, I only got my K-7 at the beginning of May 2010, and I intend on keeping it for another generation. While I am being sorely tempted by the K-5 due to it's upgraded video mode and better high iso performance, I can't justify the cost anytime soon. My K-7 does everything I want it to do. I enjoy using it.

I've used a few different SLR's, and I've always liked photography, but the K-7 is the first camera I've owned that just.. clicked. It might be due to being a little more experienced when I got it, but when I picked up my k-7 for the first time, it was like I already knew how to use it, and it didn't feel like a toy in my hand (I upgraded to k-7 from a canon rebel- I have mostly m42 lenses)

If I do pick up a k-5, it'll either be because I suddenly get a bunch of extra money, or I find a k-5 cheap.
11-09-2010, 04:40 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
The K-5 has been very tempting for me as well, but I think I'll wait till prices come down a little. Just like the K-7, I figure it's bound to happen, but hopefully sooner since the D7000 is a legit competitor (to the dismay of Pentax).
I am following this strategy too: I will defenitely not buy the K-5 until the price drops significantly. Possibly I will try to hold out for the next model to also drop in price - more likely I won't last that long.

I only bought my K-7 a year ago, and it is not that I absolutely need the latest model. But the fact is, living in the dark north and focusing primarily on birds (small things, need cropping and fast shutter times) - high ISO performance IS a big issue to me.

But I know there is plenty to work on as far as skill goes. So I will begin there.
11-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Personally I am so tempted by the K-5 and every time I visited this forum I have the impulse to go online and order the K-5. I am damn happy that Pentax has delivered such a cracking good camera and i must say I am even more proud today that I am a Pentaxian. The K-7 is a really good camera so I am still happy. It is just that the K-5 is so much better. Even my colleages at work who only know about canon, nikon and sony cameras are starting to take notice of the K-5.

But just like many of you, I bought the K-7 for a little more than a year and it has only 6000 shutter count so far. I dont think I have used the camera all that much (compared to my k100D before which registers more than 25,000 counts). So I am going to hold out using the K-7 as long as I can and as Wheatfield and many others have said, if u are doing landscape photography, you cant really tell the difference at low ISOs.

So I guess the logical answer to most people who only have bought the K-7 recently is to continue using the camera to improve the skills and use whatever funds to get good glass....because i think to get the k-5 is only half of the story...u need good glass to go with it.