Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How long will you hold on to your K7?

How many K7 owners intend to hold on to their cameras for the next couple Years, even though the K5's sensor tends to make our K7's look three years older than they really are? After reading all this info on the K5, I'm really wondering why Pentax brought out such a great body, and put in such a weak sensor. I was looking on dxo mark, and was surprised to see how many much older camera's beat the K7's noise, and dynamic range. Just makes one feel a bit ripped off.

Last edited by Tony3d; 11-08-2010 at 06:42 AM.
11-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just because the score is low doesn't mean it isn't a capable body. It might struggle with high ISO, but apart from that, we can't really say it's any worse than past bodies in terms of IQ. With that said, camera development is a step-by-step process, so you can't just fork out the goods without a little bit of trial and error. I'm keeping my silver k7 body for the collection, but I've already sold my other body in favor of the better iq. It sure is a leap ahead of the other bodies, so no reason not to as long as its within budget.

Last edited by Ole; 11-08-2010 at 06:26 PM.
11-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have taken many well-loved shots with the K-7...nothing wrong with it at lower ISOs.
I'm keeping it as a backup body after I get the K-5. Sharing the same battery and grip with the K-5 has obvious advantages.
11-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

When I bought it, I fully expected it to be my last dSLR as we know them. I'm a bit shaken by the talented K-5 but I still believe I'm done for a half-dozen years. Of course, I bought my car in 2001 fully expecting it to be the last conventional gas-powered vehicle as we know them; I guess that can be true, but not what I expected 10 years ago. Clearly camera tech is moving much faster than some other sectors!

11-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K-7 is going to be with me at least one more month. I have ordered the K-5, but since it won't be arriving in Belgium today or tomorrow it seems, I'll leave on Wednesday on a 3.5 week trip with the K-7.

The K-5 has a major advantage in terms of the sensor, but the K-7 is still a great camera. Even if the implementation of the Samsung CMOS was slightly inferior to the K20D, the performance/size/ergonomics/features of the K-7 body still make it a much better camera to the K20D in my book.

As to why they put what you call a weaker sensor in the K-7? My impression is that Pentax seems to be taking to partial upgrades the last few generations. If you look at the evolution from the K10D to the K-5, they never upgraded both sensor and body in the same generation, every time it was either sensor or body. Perhaps their limited research resources can be of better use taking this approach?

I must admit that I had the feeling the K-7 would stay with me longer than any previous DSLR, its approaching my perfect design so much. But the K-5 addresses my major gripe, i.e. DR. And its retaining the same body layout of the K-7 made me upgrade one more time.

I'm currently wondering whatever it will be Pentax will come up with that will convince me to move from the K-5 to the next one of their top level APS-C DSLRs. If Pentax follow their upgrade logic, next time will see a new body with the K-5's sensor. The K-7/K-5 having such a great body might make it easier for me to resist next time... who knows...

Wim
11-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
My K-7 is going to be with me at least one more month. I have ordered the K-5, but since it won't be arriving in Belgium today or tomorrow it seems, I'll leave on Wednesday on a 3.5 week trip with the K-7.

The K-5 has a major advantage in terms of the sensor, but the K-7 is still a great camera. Even if the implementation of the Samsung CMOS was slightly inferior to the K20D, the performance/size/ergonomics/features of the K-7 body still make it a much better camera to the K20D in my book.

As to why they put what you call a weaker sensor in the K-7? My impression is that Pentax seems to be taking to partial upgrades the last few generations. If you look at the evolution from the K10D to the K-5, they never upgraded both sensor and body in the same generation, every time it was either sensor or body. Perhaps their limited research resources can be of better use taking this approach?

I must admit that I had the feeling the K-7 would stay with me longer than any previous DSLR, its approaching my perfect design so much. But the K-5 addresses my major gripe, i.e. DR. And its retaining the same body layout of the K-7 made me upgrade one more time.

I'm currently wondering whatever it will be Pentax will come up with that will convince me to move from the K-5 to the next one of their top level APS-C DSLRs. If Pentax follow their upgrade logic, next time will see a new body with the K-5's sensor. The K-7/K-5 having such a great body might make it easier for me to resist next time... who knows...

Wim
I have a k7 and i use it generally for events and wedding work...now i am thinking of getting a backup body...i still believe that the k7 has tons of fight left in it....

I am however looking at the k-r or an old k20d(more due to the presence of a rear e-dial) due to my budget...would anyone recommend the k-r?

I do however will keep my k7...as i have used sony and canon before...my current k7 is..how do i put this...my current k7 is the only camera that has 'chosen me'...it has alot of sentimental value to me and still produces great great pictures...and..i dunno...7 is a cool number...hahahahaha..
11-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

(Copied & pasted from the identical thread at DPreview )

I intend to keep mine for several months still. It's not even 1.5 years old, and it is a fantastic package overall. I just finished processing the shots I took during a vacation to France last month, and I am very pleased with the images I got.

However, there are several shots where more DR would have made a big difference, and a usable ISO 6400-12800 would also have been desirable several times. So I plan on getting a K-5 sometime late spring 2011. Not sure what I'll do with my K-7. I have a feeling the resale value will fall through the floor...

11-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
its not going to break untill that long ... i mean , the way i see here, K-7 had also own their advantage, and perhaps its not just little bit older than K-5 but is also has trademark .... a certain trademark that the other pentax camera doesnt have it .. i think K-7 ist worth to be keep and they also will stay long to produce nice and extraordinary foto ..
11-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Own? Years, as backup to the K-5 for mostly outdoors. Nothing wrong with that body other than the sensor.

Use regularly? Only until I can get a K-5 kit with 18-135. Not a second more ....
11-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Last Thursday?
11-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #11

i'm "planning" to keep mine until the k3 or whatever it is appears - but the k5 is sorely tempting me - though while the dynamic range is better and thehigh iso is better - i highly doubt that will improve my photography significantly so will spend the next year working on technique and then upgrade - and hopefully by then the next body will be an even bigger upgrade from the k7
11-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Mine's already gone.
11-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The K-5 has been very tempting for me as well, but I think I'll wait till prices come down a little. Just like the K-7, I figure it's bound to happen, but hopefully sooner since the D7000 is a legit competitor (to the dismay of Pentax).

In any case, I have about 4k actuations on my K-7 and about 9k on my K-x. I'll probably end up keeping the K-x (my first DSLR, has some sentimental value ) and sell the K-7 when I get closer to 10k actuations. Maybe...or sooner (again K-5 is too tempting ).
11-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

No I am satisfied with what I have right now. Baring a dramatic and stupid increase in fortunes, my current K10 and K-7 perform wonderfully for me. I can't imagine leaving either of them
for many years.
11-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
Banned

Well I love my K-7 and managed to live with all it's flaws (like in any love). Waiting for my K-5 to arrive. The K-7 can stay as a back-up friend or for second body use. Unlees offcourse someone will buy it from me and I take a second K-5.