Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
We have the Kx, Kr, K7, K5 which leaves a spot for the very best Pentax can offer in the APSC format.
I'm pretty sure Pentax just released the very best in APS-C format. It's called the K-5...

11-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I'm pretty sure Pentax just released the very best in APS-C format. It's called the K-5...
somehow i dont think so...just feels that a couple of things they want to put in might have been left out. Ah well, good thing feelings are not scientific.

anyway with the Kx, Kr, K7 and K5..looks like an interesting year for Pentax.
11-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
We have the Kx, Kr, K7, K5 which leaves a spot for the very best Pentax can offer in the APSC format.

Anyone willing to guess the price of the K-1 if there was one in the works?

perhaps someone who has seen such a similar lineup in the past can give a guess?
there will at some point be a K1, but......

look at it this way, it won't be full frame, but ASP-C, with ISO-1-1million, absolutely no noise at all at any ISO, with a 1/20,000 shutter, 1/500 flash sync (not high speed) a 30 FPS frame rate, it will be 50mP with 20 bit color in the PEF file.........

the fact it will have a liquid nitrogen tank to keep it cool is irrelevant, it will need 100TB flash cards for data, etc and probably weigh too much ot to mention cost...
11-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
there will at some point be a K1, but......

look at it this way, it won't be full frame, but ASP-C, with ISO-1-1million, absolutely no noise at all at any ISO, with a 1/20,000 shutter, 1/500 flash sync (not high speed) a 30 FPS frame rate, it will be 50mP with 20 bit color in the PEF file.........

the fact it will have a liquid nitrogen tank to keep it cool is irrelevant, it will need 100TB flash cards for data, etc and probably weigh too much ot to mention cost...
and someone will actually buy it. such is the world.

11-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I'll buy the new mid-entry-level model, the K-y, for my bar shooting.
11-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
I'll buy the new mid-entry-level model, the K-y, for my bar shooting.
Based on the theory that Pentax are naming cameras after movie classification ratings (K-x for X-rated, K-r or R-rated), the next cameras are K-PG and K-G.

I'll be holding out for K-U (Unrated).
11-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Are u sure this is the K-9????
Well, I guess technically it's a Canine. However, when I see these creatures in Police cars, the car is clearly labeled, K-9. So.....

The one shown is actually a pretty old model though

11-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #38
Inactive Account

I'm waiting for Ken Rockwell to tell me which camera to buy. He has already said that the Nikon 7000 is the best crop sensor camera out there; evne though he hasn't compared it to the Pentax. But he doesn't have to, he just KNOWS!. But DxO says the Pentax is better. Maybe I'll wait for dpreview to tell me. I'd think for myself but that would make my brain hurt. I think I'll do rock,paper,scissors.

11-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #39
Inactive Account

dpreview has the best reviews imo though, they are very in depth.
11-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kmman Quote
I'm waiting for Ken Rockwell to tell me which camera to buy. He has already said that the Nikon 7000 is the best crop sensor camera out there; evne though he hasn't compared it to the Pentax. But he doesn't have to, he just KNOWS!. But DxO says the Pentax is better. Maybe I'll wait for dpreview to tell me. I'd think for myself but that would make my brain hurt. I think I'll do rock,paper,scissors.
He's kind of correct....its tied with the K-5 IMO, but KR doesn't do Pentax reviews.....I suppose if you need a real machine gun camera, the Nikon still has some advantages.....
11-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Or the K犬 (犬 is the character for "dog") - sold overseas as a K-9 of course.
If they do go a route like this I hope they put furigana on it too, so people will know how to pronounce the name. ("ケイナイン")

(Not that I know if this was a problem for the *ist in Japan, and furigana isn't going to help anyone else, but still..)
11-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
If they do go a route like this I hope they put furigana on it too, so people will know how to pronounce the name. ("ケイナイン")

(Not that I know if this was a problem for the *ist in Japan, and furigana isn't going to help anyone else, but still..)
Naah, they never gave any hints when the *ist D was introduced. I just had a look at the *ist D brochure, and there's furigana for the "ist" (イスト) but nothing for the *.

Personally, I think a cool name would be 愛K-9 (ai-canine) since 愛犬 (aiken) is Japanese for "pet dog" but you could also read 愛K-9 as "I love my K-9"
11-10-2010, 01:41 AM   #43
Veteran Member

K-1 - popular kickboxing event in Japan and Europe.
Think they might skip that name...

11-10-2010, 02:06 AM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
So if I enter and win I get a K-1?
11-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
So the ultimate K-series camera will be the K-0, then?

Maybe they can start using L, if they should come up with something worthy of the L-x designation. I think they'll revive the M name for their upcoming mirroless cameras. Makes sense, since the M series was shockingly compact for its time (Actually, the MX and ME were only marginally smaller than the Olympus OM-1, but the ME was sold in one kit version with the M-40mm/2.8, which looked almost absurdly tiny).