Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to Deal with and Prevent Dust

I've had my K-x for about a month now. Even though I tried to be careful while changing lenses, I found dust spots on my sensor. The built in dust remover is pretty much useless at detecting and getting rid of dust. So I bought a rocket blower and it gets rid of the bigger pieces, but there's still some smaller pieces of dust it can't blow off. There is also two specks of dust in my viewfinder. That means it's on the mirror, right? The rocket blower won't get rid of those. Wolf Camera is pretty much the only camera shop around and they charge $65 and take 1-2 weeks to clean the sensor. I don't want to pay that much or wait that long since I use my camera every day. Can anyone recommend a way to clean the sensor? Maybe I just don't know how to use the rocket blower. I guess I could try a wet cleaning solution but it seems risky.
Also what can I do to prevent dust from getting in? I try to change lenses quickly with the sensor pointing down. I know I could change lenses less, but it seems pointless to own multiple lenses if you're too scared to put them on your camera.

11-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
I've had my K-x for about a month now. Even though I tried to be careful while changing lenses, I found dust spots on my sensor. The built in dust remover is pretty much useless at detecting and getting rid of dust. So I bought a rocket blower and it gets rid of the bigger pieces, but there's still some smaller pieces of dust it can't blow off. There is also two specks of dust in my viewfinder. That means it's on the mirror, right? The rocket blower won't get rid of those. Wolf Camera is pretty much the only camera shop around and they charge $65 and take 1-2 weeks to clean the sensor. I don't want to pay that much or wait that long since I use my camera every day. Can anyone recommend a way to clean the sensor? Maybe I just don't know how to use the rocket blower. I guess I could try a wet cleaning solution but it seems risky.
Also what can I do to prevent dust from getting in? I try to change lenses quickly with the sensor pointing down. I know I could change lenses less, but it seems pointless to own multiple lenses if you're too scared to put them on your camera.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/109456-dirty-se...ml#post1128045