Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I expect that once this thread gets to the second page, you'll start getting a lot of answers from people that just read the title and will completely miss the point. It's going to be fun to watch!
Like I just did.
Just kidding.

11-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I expect that once this thread gets to the second page, you'll start getting a lot of answers from people that just read the title and will completely miss the point.
That was basically my point as well. These threads never stay jokes.
11-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2nd page, lets see what happens. And no, my k7 is not a piece of crap.
11-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K7 is a great wonderful camera

11-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I don`t know about that. My K7 is the best handling D-SLR I ever owned and second best in IQ after my K-100D.
arggg!!! don't say that .
I'm trying to convince myself to move from K100D to K-7 as we speak

Pete
11-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #21
JHD
Veteran Member

The fact is the K5 costs a lot more than the K7 and I'm not willing to pay the difference for the few benefits it has over the K7.
11-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the K-7. Just the switch back to a pentaprism was good news. My only criticism is 150g of weight and the skinny highlight range.
For me, a good tripod and the 15mm were the buys of this year.

Yes, GeneV has the right comment. This thread will be committed to internet history in a year or so when the K-5 is replaced, and the praises of the K-3 will be sung.

11-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The nature of the electronics beast is that there will always be a newer, "better" model. You could spend forever waiting, or you make a choice about whether a particular model suits you. I really like my K7. Maybe the K5 is better, but that doesn't make the K7 bad. My favourite feature of the K7: the built in level. Being able to see the level in the viewfinder makes getting the camera horizontal or vertical so much easier!
11-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am very pleased with my K7. Sure, some day I hope to use it as a back up to a K5, but it doesn't change the fact that it continues to take decent photos and that its limitations are primarily related to the person holding it.

Of course, if someone wants to trade me their new K5 for my "broken in" K7, I am willing to entertain offers...
11-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That was basically my point as well. These threads never stay jokes.
Well, I should say it isn't entirely a joke. It's sarcastic, but has a point, and what I expect and hope is that plenty of people will come along with great things to say about the K-7. Thus eliminating my impending buyer's remorse, and that of others. Thus, making the world a more positive place.

You see?? I'm doing something good here.
11-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #26

In all honesty, shooting portraits with plenty available light, or strobes.. I doubt there would be much advantage over the K-7 with the K-5.

I am sure I am going to get crucified for saying this.. but, I highly doubt many here could tell the difference apart from a K-5 or K-7 shot in the lower ISO range when photographing people. You have your Nikon D3 for low light work.. so I think you are more than covered ;-)

Two major advantages of the K-5 - High DR range and lower noise at Higher ISO.

So, after DxO caused all the crazyness on here via their ratings for the K-5 ( of which I am very impressed ).. let's take a look via the same ranking system at some cameras the K-7 beats out via their total sensor score..

The K-7 beats out
Fuji S3
Nikon D2xs
Nikon D2X
Olympus E3

Oh, and the Canon 7D,...is just a few points higher than the K-7.

So in reality.. after all the news settles in.. and you gather up your limited glass.. you will be able to upgrade to a K-5 in a year for $900.. and the new K-3 will be the new REAL upgrade.. giving everything from ISO 100,000 to free massages. :-) Oh, and people will be saying " I didn't upgrade from the K-7 to the K-5 because it wasn't a big enough leap for me".. and the cycle continues. ;-)
11-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
In all honesty, shooting portraits with plenty available light, or strobes.. I doubt there would be much advantage over the K-7 with the K-5.

I am sure I am going to get crucified for saying this.. but, I highly doubt many here could tell the difference apart from a K-5 or K-7 shot in the lower ISO range when photographing people. You have your Nikon D3 for low light work.. so I think you are more than covered ;-)

Two major advantages of the K-5 - High DR range and lower noise at Higher ISO.

So, after DxO caused all the crazyness on here via their ratings for the K-5 ( of which I am very impressed ).. let's take a look via the same ranking system at some cameras the K-7 beats out via their total sensor score..

The K-7 beats out
Fuji S3
Nikon D2xs
Nikon D2X
Olympus E3

Oh, and the Canon 7D,...is just a few points higher than the K-7.

So in reality.. after all the news settles in.. and you gather up your limited glass.. you will be able to upgrade to a K-5 in a year for $900.. and the new K-3 will be the new REAL upgrade.. giving everything from ISO 100,000 to free massages. :-) Oh, and people will be saying " I didn't upgrade from the K-7 to the K-5 because it wasn't a big enough leap for me".. and the cycle continues. ;-)
I agree with everything you say here, and thanks for pointing out those other DxO scores, because the K-7 is a replacement for my D2x. So all it has to do to make sense for me is to have a higher score than that. LOL
11-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
The fact is the K5 costs a lot more than the K7 and I'm not willing to pay the difference for the few benefits it has over the K7.
Where I am, the launch price of the K-5 is in fact a little cheaper than the launch price of the K-7.
11-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #29
JHD
Veteran Member

Here in Canada, the K5 is almost double the cost of a K7. As good as the K5 is, it isn't IMO twice the camera.
11-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Not likely

QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
you will be able to upgrade to a K-5 in a year for $900..
The K7 came down in price very roughly about $450 after one year in the U.S.

I'm sure that Hoya are keeping the K5 prices higher, in part to keep it's selling price higher, even after markdown. So *if* the K-5 were to come down the same amount after one year, it would be roughly 1150, which I don't expect will happen, I'm sure they'll try keep it higher than $1250-1300. I'm sure Hoya will be playing hard ball on this time around and for later iterations.

I don't expect the K-5 to come down as much this time around, I'd prefer a less expensive product myself, but, we'll also be able to eventually enjoy higher returns when we sell or trade in our used cameras too.

My three cents.