Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The K-7 is a piece of crap! (SARCASM Alert)

At least, that's what I would believe if all I read were all of the current K-5 threads.

I have just entered the world of Pentax with a brand new K-7. Depending on how good my winter is here at the studio, I may pick up a K-5 early next year, but for now I'm stuck with this brand new piece of serious doggy doo-doo. I can't imagine how anyone ever made a decent photo with this barbaric shambles of a camera body! Well, I guess I still have a Nikon D70 and a Fuji S2, both state of the art bodies a very short time ago. Maybe I'll go back to those and give the K-7 to the kids to play with.

For those who don't get it, I'm being facetious. I'm pretty impressed with the K-7, and actually very glad to know there's a reasonably affordable upgrade out there for me if and when I'm ready.

The K-5 looks good. I'm very happy for Pentax, and for all y'all Pentaxians. But geez. Go ahead and bash Nikon and Canon in those threads if you must, but why dontcha lay off your own team? You're giving me a bad case of buyer's remorse here.

11-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like my K-7, my K10D, and the *ist DS (My first SLR) I sold to a friend who wanted a cheap DSLR to get into photography. I never bought any of them when they just came out. I think you will like the K-7 a lot, just let your images speak for themselves. I'm sure you are also happy with the fact that you bought an excellent body at a good price too.
11-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-7 bashing has gotten quite old since the K-5's arrival, and Dxo's score....
11-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
The K-7 bashing has gotten quite old since the K-5's arrival, and Dxo's score....
Haha, no doubt. I swear there are people who've owned K-5s for a week who are already incapable of speaking the K-7's name without disdain. LOL

11-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-7 isn't bad at all. It was just a little bit of a compromise - when making the decision between the K-x or K-7, it was either a worse body with a better sensor, or a better body with a worse sensor. Now, with the K-5, there's no more compromise, and the poor K-7 is being left in the dust.

I don't think it deserves the bashing, as its ergonomics are quite remarkable, and the IQ isn't as bad as people are making it. I think that the fact that the K-5 uses the same body is a testament to its success in that area. When the K-7 first came out, I was particularly impressed at how much better it felt in your hands than the K20.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
BTW, who do I get to bash? What camera was awesome until the day the K-7 was released, that was then immediately relegated to the %$^% heap? ROFL
11-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-7 isn't bad at all. It was just a little bit of a compromise - when making the decision between the K-x or K-7, it was either a worse body with a better sensor, or a better body with a worse sensor. Now, with the K-5, there's no more compromise, and the poor K-7 is being left in the dust.

I don't think it deserves the bashing, as its ergonomics are quite remarkable, and the IQ isn't as bad as people are making it. I think that the fact that the K-5 uses the same body is a testament to its success in that area. When the K-7 first came out, I was particularly impressed at how much better it felt in your hands than the K20.
Thanks.

I looked hard at the K-x, but in the end decided I wanted a more durable body and a 100% VF, and was willing to sacrifice high ISO, so got the K-7.

11-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
these thread titles are getting really old and lame really fast.
11-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
these thread titles are getting really old and lame really fast.
Which thread titles? Mine?
11-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, prior to the K-5's arrival the K-7 was considered a great camera on here with good but not great high ISO performance as its main weakness. Since the K-5however, everyone is frantic about how all of us K-7 owners should ditch them since they suddenly suck. At Least thats what I get from reading some of these posts

Lets think about this people....

The K-7 goes new for about $800-850, while the K-5 is ~ $1600 here.

Thats double the price! The K-7 is fantastic value for money at its current rate, perhaps the biggest bang for your buck around The K-5 on the other hand, is a fantastic new gen. camera which takes all of the pluses the K-7 has and adds to them while fixing its main weaknesses (AF and high ISO) Its pretty near the perfect camera for those of you who can afford it, so congratz. But please, stop your anti-K-7 ranting and make this section of the forum readable again
11-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
BTW, who do I get to bash? What camera was awesome until the day the K-7 was released, that was then immediately relegated to the %$^% heap? ROFL
I know what you're asking, but there really isn't an answer. When the K7 came out, many people felt that while there were many improvments over the K20D, there were also compromises made at the same time. So some people preferred the K20D to the K7, and vice versa.

However, with the K5, Pentax basically just took the K7 and improved it in several areas, most notably the improved sensor and AF. The only advantage of the K7 over the K5 is the price of the K5, which is quite a substantial at over 2x the cost of a K7.
11-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Every time a new model of a computer, camera or countless other electronic products comes out, the prior models are deemed obsolete compared to the new model by people who are enthralled with the new model. That's really not the same thing as bashing the prior model.

The problem that some of us have with these facetious threads is that the statements in the title beome invitations for those who do want to bash the product and it goes on and on. We now have recent threads about being afraid to buy Pentax, Pentax dying as a company, whether Pentax is rubbish and now the K7 as a piece of crap, and a number of these threads are jokes of some kind. Pentax introduces great new models, and the result is threads which seem very negative to the world. Is this really necessary?
11-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-7 is a piece of crap!
I don`t know about that. My K7 is the best handling D-SLR I ever owned and second best in IQ after my K-100D.
11-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The problem that some of us have with these facetious threads is that the statements in the title beome invitations for those who do want to bash the product and it goes on and on. We now have recent threads about being afraid to buy Pentax, Pentax dying as a company, whether Pentax is rubbish and now the K7 as a piece of crap, and a number of these threads are jokes of some kind. Pentax introduces great new models, and the result is threads which seem very negative to the world. Is this really necessary?
TBH, not a single thread on this forum is really necessary, is it? I apologize that my attempt at a bit of light humor seems to you like introducing negativity to the world.

I'm very impressed with my K-7 thus far.
11-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
Banned

Photos: Albums
Which thread titles? Mine?
I expect that once this thread gets to the second page, you'll start getting a lot of answers from people that just read the title and will completely miss the point. It's going to be fun to watch!