Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2006, 04:53 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K10D vs. K100D for RTW trip cam

Hi all, this is more of a 'I wish they'd done that' post but I apprecaite any opinions too.

I'm currently saving up and planning for my RTW trip, which will be a good year away yet. But I'm the kind of person who beleives in being prepared.

My DS has serves me well on the trips in the last 2 years I had her, but with K10D and K100D out, I've been thinking about upgrade.

Why, if the DS still serves me so well? 2 things in particular - SR and weather sealing. I tend to not pack a tripod (even a faily compact ones like my Velbone CX), mainly because of the added wight and size. On some occasions, I really wished I can shot a stop or 2, or 3! slower. Weather seals will also come in handy in difficult locations such as jungles and seaside.

The K10D fits my requirement very well, apart from 1 problem - it's size and weight, I know it's a great size and weight for it's features, but on long treks, heavy camera gear really bothers me - the load on the shoulder often makes me feel unconmfortable if my pack is too heavy.

Lately when I travel I tend to use the philosophy, less is more - pack less and lighter enables me to do more.

With the K10D, I'm quite worried it'll become a bother on long jouneys. The K100D is heavier than the DS, but not by much. Then there's the advantage of its ability of using AA batteries.

On the other hand, the K10D's faster AF speed and bigger buffer for continous shooting would also come in handy.

This is becoming very difficult for me to choose, I really wanna give K10D a try, btu I'd like to see it and hold it in my hand first to be sure it's increased size won't be a drawback for me - so far I've not seen one in the UK yet.

If Pentax would have made a new model with K100D's size and wweight plus the faster AF + bigger buffer + weather seal of K10D it'd be perfect for me, as I'm not too bothered by the 10M pixel count!

To those who of you who does lots of travel shooting, would you say size/ weight saving is more important or the weather seal? Cheers.

12-04-2006, 07:19 AM   #2

Traveling for a year; I am envious. Probably I would opt for the K10D, as the weather seals probably indicate a more robust camera overall. The sensor cleaning might be a plus if you are in dusty areas. Not that you would go wrong with the K100D though; I am still a big fan of the 6mp sensor.

Just a word of suggestion from somone else who travels a fair bit. Keep your DS and pack it along. A lot can happen in a year. I know that my had issues midway through my five weeks in India earlier this year. I was so thankful to have the DS to fall back upon. If you opt for the K10D, I would then just throw in a couple of sets of CRV3s for the DS. No real harm if they don't get used.

Have a great trip, I would love to hear your itinerary.
12-05-2006, 02:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frankly I think if you're worried about weight then go for the 100. Otherwise I think you'll just wish the camera was lighter all the time.

BTW what the heck is a RTW trip?
12-05-2006, 04:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Darren for suggestion of a back up body, most likely I will pack a P&S as a back up due to size and weight, unless I can talk my fiance into taking the DS, LOL, as my offical camera carrier.

For lens choice, it's likely again going to be based on weight saving, I'd love to take the 70~200 f2.8s but the size is prohibitive. So I'm going to get the DA 50~200 instead. Lens pack is likely to be:
A. DA12-24, Tamron 28-75, DA50-200, FA50 1.4, (maybe) 90mm macro.
B. DA18-55, DA50-200, FA50, Tamron 90mm Macro.

Since the trip is still a year away, the itinerary is no where near finalised, we will go towards the east as a general direction, crossing equator and oceans when the need arises.

The only dialemma is Africa - do we pack it into the beginning of our trip, or as the last stop? (We depart from UK). I really want to kick off the trip by doing a charity rally, like the Plymouth to Dakar. On the other hand train journey across Siberia would be fantastic as well.

Arpe, RTW is short for Round The World

12-05-2006, 07:15 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
How I envy you.
If that is not a secret or impolite to ask, what are predicted expenses?

Branimir
12-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have traveled a bit and would caution you, no matter what electroncs you take, be aware that there are places where someone will want to steal what you have, the more valuable the higher the risk, and quite often that will happen with a mob of children distracting you while others pilfer from your bag or even pocket. Have fun, send photos and be safe.
12-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
Lens pack is likely to be:
A. DA12-24, Tamron 28-75, DA50-200, FA50 1.4, (maybe) 90mm macro.
B. DA18-55, DA50-200, FA50, Tamron 90mm Macro.
I have to make the same lens decision as you for an Italy trip next spring. Just last week, acquired the DA70, which completes my pancake kit. I had planned on taking the three pancakes along with either a FA50/1.4 or a A50/1.2 for interior shots.

But . . . in the week of carrying and using my pancake kit, I found that it is somewhat a pain to change lenses all the time to suit the circumstance. Some environments do not lend themselves to lens changes, and people with you are less understanding about you constantly taking a 'time-out' to change a lens. (I'm beginning to understand the convenience of zooms.)

So instead, I'm thinking of the DA18-55 with the DA50-200 and either of the 50s. I have the Tamron 90 macro too, but don't want to carry the weight, and macro photography isn't at the top of my list.

For my trip, I'll either take:
A. DA21, DA40, DA70, and one of the 50s
B. DA18-55, DA50-200, Tamron 1.4x tc, and one of the 50s

Either kit I take will fit into a fanny pack, along with extra batteries, memory cards, and a bulb blower.
12-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Oh, as to your original questions, a K10D or a K100D . . .

Since 6/10 megapixels is not an issue, and weight is, I'd opt for the K100D. Especially because of its ability to take AA batteries. About the only thing you lose over the K10D is weather sealing and buffer size.

I'm assuming that the size of the buffer wouldn't be an issue. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about weather elements. I tend to 'baby' my equipment anyway, and it is simple enough to protect the equipment from the elements, even during usage. Just exercise caution and wipe down your gear after use.

12-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yep, equipment robbery is always a concern, but that's part of life while travelling. I will be taking eqipment insurance for the trip. There's criminals in every country, even inthe UK, gears could get stolen or robbed.

However the number of kind and nice people I've met traveloing far out numbers the dodgy few and it's meeting these people and see how people live life differently in various countries that made travelling so much fun .

Steve - I'm leaning towards K100D at this time too. But I think sealing really is useful. I've been to some very damp parts of the world and I constantly worry about getting my DS wet - even under careful wrap. The buffer speed is only very occasionally useful (very useful for sports and wildlife shooters though). While the faster AF speed will help occasionally too.
12-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura:
I'm leaning towards K100D at this time too. But I think sealing really is useful. I've been to some very damp parts of the world and I constantly worry about getting my DS wet - even under careful wrap.
My only experience with foul weather and my DS was in a steady, light drizzle at a high school baseball game. The game should have never started, but the visiting team traveled about two hours from their home location; so they tried to play the game anyway, hoping for a letup in the rain. I used a Sigma 100-300/4 mated to my DS and mounted on a monopod. Even though not needed, I used the sun hood to protect the front element from raindrops. Over the whole rig, I just folded up a hand towel, in quarters, and placed it over the lens and camera.

I put my hand under the towel to access the shutter release (the CS-105 cable release would work good also in such a situation). During a break in the action (change of players positions from 'offense' to 'defense' (don't know how familiar you are with baseball)), I covered up the rig more completely with the towel, wiped it down a bit, checked for rain on the body or front element, etc. This went on for about a half of an hour before the umpires came to their senses and called the game.

Afterward, the lens was fine and the body was just slightly damp. After I got to the car, I just wiped the body (and lens) with a dry towel and have never had any ill effects from that day.

Unless you are planning on acquiring one (or more) of the new DA* zooms, which may or may not be weather sealed (nobody knows for sure); any lens you use in the current inventory will not be weather sealed. How important will it be to have the body weather sealed, but the lens not?

If you exercise common sense, you should be fine. But, if you are planning on standing behind a waterfall, or on a beach in a tempest, or try to use your camera in a haboob or a typhoon, then . . . well . . . that isn't 'common sense'.