Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

M lenses stop-down meter with *ist D?

The Pentax *ist D seems to not be adjusting the metered shutter speed based on aperture changes with M series lenses. It's doing something when the green button is pressed in M mode, but the shutter speed reading stays the same.

Already searched google and this forum, but could only find info on the *ist DL/DS. I would really appreciate some advice from other owners ...

I tried digging in the settings menu to enable stop-down metering. The settings that seemed the most promising were:

Green Button in Manual - the obvious choice was "Tv", which didn't work. Nor did the other two settings: P and Av
F step other than A - made sure that was set to On. Didn't work.

Last edited by Dubesor; 11-08-2010 at 08:40 PM.
11-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's how it's done: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html

You've got to be in M mode. Also, you should meter using the DOF preview function rather than the green button, I think.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Weird, in all my other Pentax DSLRs, that was accomplished either with the green button or the AE-L button.

Anyway, I tried the DOF preview switch. Same problem - no shutter speed changes based on aperture.
11-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Both should work, but I was under the impression that with the ist D, only the stop down lever would get the job done. And you're in M mode? Nothing even when you change the aperture dramatically?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Both should work, but I was under the impression that with the ist D, only the stop down lever would get the job done. And you're in M mode? Nothing even when you change the aperture dramatically?
Definitely in M mode. No changes with either green button or DOF lever - even when changing from f1.7 to f22.

Also tried a couple different M lenses to confirm it wasn't a lens issue ...
11-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not sure then. Maybe you've reprogrammed both buttons in the menu (although I was under the impression that this wasn't possible, at least for the DOF preview lever).

Adam

11-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not sure then. Maybe you've reprogrammed both buttons in the menu (although I was under the impression that this wasn't possible, at least for the DOF preview lever).
No, I don't think it's that. I'm really at a loss here. Any others care to weigh in?

11-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Can you confirm that the diaphragm is actuating when you are pressing the green button? You can either check by looking through the front of the lens while it's metering, or through the viewfinder if you're stopping down significantly.

Does the camera still meter correctly with AE-enabled lenses?
11-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrEspie Quote
Can you confirm that the diaphragm is actuating when you are pressing the green button? You can either check by looking through the front of the lens while it's metering, or through the viewfinder if you're stopping down significantly.

Does the camera still meter correctly with AE-enabled lenses?
1) Actually, the diaphragm is not moving. It makes a sound, but no movement of the blades, stays wide open. I wonder why this would be?

2) The camera does meter fine with my FA series lenses, controlling aperture through the body with FA lenses also OK. M42 lenses in A mode also meter and stop down correctly. As I mentioned, I've also confirmed that my M lenses work fine on other digital bodies.

I still feel like maybe I've missed something in the menus ...
11-10-2010, 03:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

check your firmware version

the origonal *istD firmware did not support metering with K mount lenses.

This was brought out in the first revision I believe, in January 2004.

Otherwise, the *istD meters very well with Manual aperture lenses but only in M mode.'

In all other modes it will shoot wide open
11-10-2010, 03:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
check your firmware version

the origonal *istD firmware did not support metering with K mount lenses.

This was brought out in the first revision I believe, in January 2004.

Otherwise, the *istD meters very well with Manual aperture lenses but only in M mode.'

In all other modes it will shoot wide open
awesome! i can't believe i didn't think of that sooner. the simplest solution is almost always the right one will try that in that morning.
11-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, it was already the latest version - 1.12. I updated to 1.12 again anyway in case the camera's firmware was corrupt or something.

Update was successful, but the diaphragm is still not moving and the camera won't stop down meter with M lenses in M mode

Anyone?
11-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do they at least stop down when you do DOF preview?

Adam

11-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do they at least stop down when you do DOF preview?
Nope. No stopping down or meter reading change with either DOF lever or green button.

FA/FAJ series and M42 lenses tested on this camera stop down fine. Just have this issue when I need to stop down to meter with M series.
11-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

And you do have the "enable aperture ring" option enabled, right?

Adam