Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
+1. The fact that you don't lug around several sets of proprietary batteries and a charger (maybe with multiple plugs) makes it one of the best travel cameras ever.
Amen to that. I just do not understand the fascination of Pentaxians with proprietary batteries. The clamor for them for the K-r just flat out befuddles me.

11-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Amen to that. I just do not understand the fascination of Pentaxians with proprietary batteries. The clamor for them for the K-r just flat out befuddles me.
The option is nice when you are shooting around home / electricity. Saves you money in the long run, as well, if you only need to shoot with AA's when you travel.
11-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
The option is nice when you are shooting around home / electricity. Saves you money in the long run, as well, if you only need to shoot with AA's when you travel.
I don't really understand what you are saying. You can get AA batts that recharge for about the same number of exposures as many proprietary batts or you can get lithiums that can last for a ridiculous number of exposures. You can also use the same charger for multiple pieces of equipment. The only advantages at all that I see to proprietary batteries is that they can be made with newer technologies in sizes to fit in spaces where AA might be a problem.
11-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Not really, I have a K-x and my NiMH batteries last ~800 shots, are cheaper than proprietary batteries, are more plentiful, and can be charged in anything from a dumb $5 charger to a $100 advanced C9000. The same batteries can be used in dozens of pieces of equipment thereby making them more versatile too. They can be purchased literally thousands of places in even remote locations unlike the proprietary batteries and they are cheaper to boot.

11-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

You know, I did not consider rechargeable AA lithiums. Never even tried them. I apologize to you and to Al Gore.
11-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Never even tried them.
They are great, if you get good ones like eneloops. (Which aren't lithiums, by the way, but just new-generation NiMH's).

As has been mentioned, a considerable virtue of rechargable AA's is that if you get a few sets they are useful in your camera, your flash, battery grip, LED torch in the camera bag etc. And all rechargable with one charger.
11-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
They are great, if you get good ones like eneloops. (Which aren't lithiums, by the way, but just new-generation NiMH's).

Another virtue of rechargable AA's is that if you get a few sets they are useful in your camera, your flash, battery grip, LED torch in the camera bag etc. And all rechargable with one charger.
Great info. To be honest, when I decide to upgrade, I'm thinking of buying the K-R (or by that time the K-R may have a replacement) because I like the compact size of them and I have not really invested in any WR lenses.

11-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Late to this thread, but here it is:

My daughter always wanted a DSLR but coudn't justify the cost of a fully loaded K7/K5.
So, there was this very nice white Kx, brand new, unsold, at the cam store where she lives .... she bought it with the while lens as a kit ... can't remember which lens it was.
Anyway ... GREAT little camera!
And she sure is happy with it.

JP
11-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #24

I LOVE my K-x and the fact I can use older lenses with a cheap adapter...thank you Ebay ....I have the 18-55mm auto and thats it..all my others are manual
11-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input/support. I kind of made a silly assumption, because just about every digital device becomes outdated so quickly. I'll still be shooting film with the trusty K1000 my uncle gave me (and the whole family of cameras that lives with me in my apartment). I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
11-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

You know, I did not consider rechargeable AA lithiums. Never even tried them. I apologize to you and to Al Gore.
The lithiums I was referring to are not rechargeable. I was talking about the single use kind, which are great for travel. On a recent trip, I was getting over 3,000 shots to a set on my K-x, though I wasn't using the flash much. At home, the Eneloops are an economical way to go, but for travel the Energizer Ultimate lithiums mean no charger at all in the luggage.
11-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I still have my K200D and my KX and I love them both. Here is a show that I shot with the KX and the DA* 50-135mm
Mayer Hawthorne - a set on Flickr