Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IST*DL Question

I have started using my Pentax IST* DL in manual mode (M) for the last few weeks and am trying to find a way I can adjust the aperture, shutter speed and exposure. If I'm reading the manual right if I'm in manual mode (M) I can only adjust the aperture when pressing the av button. The exposure can be adjusted in bulb mode (B) if I am correct. The question is am I correct or am I reading the manual wrong?

Thanks
Jim

09-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

To set the shutter speed, spin the dial. To set the aperture, press the Av button while spinning the dial. Voila! Your exposure is set! Do you know what "exposure" means?
By your saying
QuoteQuote:
trying to find a way I can adjust the aperture, shutter speed and exposure
leads me to believe you don't quite understand something.
Bryan Peterson has a great book called "Understanding Exposure" which will help you understand exposure.

Or did I misunderstand your question?
09-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You don't need bulb mode unless you doing long exposures.

In manual mode, the jog dial controls the shutter speed. To adjust aperture, you need to hold down the (+/-) button while using jog dial. That's all there is to it!

Press the AE-L to revert to a camera TTL based metered setting. So if you think your settings are way off in terms of getting a good exposure, hit the AE-L.
09-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi and thanks for the quick replies. Yes I have Bryon Petersons book and I have read it a few times in the last couple of weeks. I think, think being the operative word here that I do understand exposure or at least the basics of it. The higher number the aperture the smaller the opening is in the lense, the smaller the number the larger the opening is in the lens. Shutter speed the longer it stays open the more movement will be showed. The shorter amount of time it is open the less movement will be shown but will also cause underexposure. Now the way I'm understanding things is there is another option to be able to underexpose or overexpose a photo if need be. But when I'm reading the manual it looks like if I'm in manual mode I only have the ability to adjust the aperture and shutter speed not the ability to underexpose or overexpose a photo. Does this make sense?

Thanks
Jim

09-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

OK, let's "break it down...." (Peterson probably explains this better than I do.....)
You're in "P" mode, and you get 1/500s f/8 at ISO400. This is the "proper" exposure.

Go into Manual mode (M on the dial) and "dial" in 1/500, f/8 (keeping the ISO at 400 for simplicity) To "underexpose" by one stop, you can either
1)Change the shutter speed to 1/1000s (keeping f-stop=f/8)
2)Change the f-stop to f/11 (keeping SS=1/500)
3)Decrease the ISO to 200
If you do ONE of these things (and not the remaining two), your shot will be "underexposed" by one stop.

Do you understand what is happening when you adjust the shutter speed? Change the f-stop? Change the ISO? (with regards to how much "light" is hitting the sensor)
09-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok so from what I'm understanding there isn't a option called "exposure" to adjust. That is all done through the shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings?

What I was looking for was a option called "exposure" adjust. My mistake.

Thanks a bunch for straightening me out.
Jim
09-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Glad I could help!
09-20-2007, 01:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

In post #5 there is a fourth way of under or overexposing (Mind you may not work in P mode) and that is to press the +/- button and use the jog wheel to force the camera to under or over expose in increments of .25 or .33 of a stop depending on what you have set on the custom menus.

Not to confuse you but to point out that there is a control for 'exposure' but it is for exposure compensation. On the beach or in snow dial it up a bit (+) to compensate for the cameras being fooled into underexposing due to all the reflected light. In a darkened room go the other way to compensate for all the deep shadows. use the histogram to check and use raw to correct the errors we all inevitably make as we learn which direction to compensate. I am still not sure I have the direction right in this paragraph...!