Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Reasons for keeping my K200D? (A choice between K5/Kr or new Computer :-()

Hi!

I've owned a K200D since new and it has been a very good camera for me. However the K5 appears to wipe it all over the floor with newer technology and the only Pentax option for weather resistance as the Kr has left this out. I am aware that the K200 was an equivalent price point to the Kx and compared to the more expensive options is not that wonderful. Seems to be rather basic now...... What sold it to me was the weather sealing, which is no longer available at that price point...........

I'm cuaght in that I could do with a new large desktop (prob iMac) and that the tech has advanced so rapidly in Pentax that my current kit may now show serious limitations.

The other hand, I still use old film bodies and enjoy the results..... So I'm not wholly on the cusp of technology.

So. Reality is here. Computer or camera. Sadly not sure if I could go both, certainly not K5 anyway.

Right. Can you guys convince me that the K200 is a good camera and that I should keep snapping away with it and invest in a better processing workstation or go for the newer iteration of camera and make do with what I have (Macbook) for photo viewing and processing?

K200D? Doesn't seem to be many people talking about it ever? Think I may need some reality checks.......

THanks!

11-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cameras and computers advance the same way, unfortunately.

What kind of machine are you running? A macbook that is less than 4 years old should work just fine for many years to come, and would make for a very good photo editing machine. I'm better versed in computer technology than camera technology, but I can also say that for low iso applications, the K200d is very capable. The KR/K5 will certianly be a nice upgrade, but if you shoot at "film ISOs" and don't have any issues with AF speed, then you could likely wait another year to upgrade that one, as well.
11-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Col
Veteran Member

My position was similar. If I got the K-5 I would have to get a better PC. Turns out despite ordering at the same time the K-5 arrived at least 3 weeks ahead of the PC. Just as well the camera was so cheap.

Also facing installing Lightroom and cataloguing 4 years of images.
11-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in almost the same situation as you and I chose a shiny new iMac! The K200D still is a very capable camera. Yes the high ISO shots require some extra work, but overall you should be able to make wonderful photo's with it. And the K5 won't go away. You can always buy it when finances permit it. Thats the route I'm taking. And when you buy the camera later it will be a even more informed choice then now although the first reports here on this forum and the DXO test look very, very promising!

Good luck with you decision!

11-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
My Macbook is coming up to 3 years old now, got it and the K200 at roughly the same time. It's a 13" screen and I would like a bigger one. My old desktop is starting to fail a bit now even with Linux.........

I should say that I have only ever owned or used the one digital SLR camera so my knowledge of other Pentax models or any other brand to use is very limited! I was asking this question as there are people on here with much more camera experience than me that I thought it would be advantageous to investigate.
11-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Raylon

Get the computer. Just wait till the K-3 comes out and pick up a K-5 on the cheap. K200 is still an excellent camera.
11-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jetsam1 Quote
My Macbook is coming up to 3 years old now, got it and the K200 at roughly the same time. It's a 13" screen and I would like a bigger one. My old desktop is starting to fail a bit now even with Linux.........

I should say that I have only ever owned or used the one digital SLR camera so my knowledge of other Pentax models or any other brand to use is very limited! I was asking this question as there are people on here with much more camera experience than me that I thought it would be advantageous to investigate.
An idea (you can have it all ).

The computer is 3 years old - which means it's a dual core and likely very zippy for most applications (lightroom/aperture, the office suite etc.) Are you stressing your machine with complicated MATLAB scripts? If you aren't and don't use the thing for video games, I would wait on the computer.

If you find things get sluggish with a lot of things open at once, you could upgrade your ram to 2 or 4 GBs, which would run you about 100 bucks (NB: never buy ram from Apple. They charge at least 2X the going rate on RAM).

In the interm, I would buy an external monitor. Investing in laptop screens is sort of a silly venture because they go with the computer, when in reality, they should live far longer than the computer's components. LCD tech is not advancing nearly fast enough to warrant a new screen every 3 years. When you buy a 15 + inch laptop with a good screen, a lot of that money (not to mention battery life!) goes into the the screen.

Furthermore, a 13 inch laptop with an external has the advatage of desktop real estate when you need it, and portability when you need it. Your back will thank you.

Now, instead of spending 1500-2000 dollars, you are spending, tops, 500. A good screen is an investment (and you don't need an Apple cinema display, either).

And for an extra 500 dollars, you could upgrade to the K-X which will get you a few stops of high ISO. Body only is about 500 bucks. Hell, you could spend the last 500 dollars on a shiny new lens, or maybe skip on the K-X and wait until the K-5 sells for 1000. I don't think the K200d is a slouch at all... rather a very nice camera.
11-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get a computer and get a K-5 in 6-7 months, for a price much lower than today.

11-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Get the computer. Just wait till the K-3 comes out and pick up a K-5 on the cheap. K200 is still an excellent camera.
I'd wait for the K-1 then pick up a K-3 on the cheap.
11-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'd keep the Macbook and still use it as a portable computer. I keep computers for a long time and the current iMac range is pretty good and the all in one design does have advantages for me. 27" screen too.......

When you look at the K7 price, it's not moved too much even with the K5 having been released.

HOw did the K200 get the weather sealing? And the later Kx and Kr not get this? Seems a little odd? I suppose a max ISO 1600 could be limiting.
11-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jetsam1 Quote
When you look at the K7 price, it's not moved too much even with the K5 having been released.
K7 release price was that of the K-5, but fell quite a bit BEFORE the K-5 was released.
11-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
The computer is 3 years old - which means it's a dual core and likely very zippy for most applications (lightroom/aperture, the office suite etc.) Are you stressing your machine with complicated MATLAB scripts? If you aren't and don't use the thing for video games, I would wait on the computer.

i agree with this post. most people don't even tickle the processing power of their computers. sluggishness usually comes from the garbage installed and built up over time. are you all set with your WR lenses? unless you absolutely need the extra power of a new computer or new features of the K-5 for taking your pictures, i say get some good glass even if they are not WR. it'll be a much better investment than a computer or new body.
11-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
Cameras vs. Computers

I like digital cameras a lot and have to admit I did take advantage of the Newegg discount, but if it came to a choice between the two, I'd have to pick the new Mac. Prices of the new camera models will continue to fall, I'm sure. In the meantime, a computer is something you use for multiple hours every day. If your desktop/laptop is really behind the times and you still want the new camera, another alternative is to buy a Mac Mini for not a lot of cash. The new ones are very competent, too.