Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #1

SMC-M 50mm 1.7 problems

Hi,

I just received my "M" series 50mm 1.7 in the mail. Unfortunately, when I place it on the camera I get the flashing "F--" on the LCD. I understand this is what happens because the camera doesn't read the aperture mechanically...is there a way to set the lens to automatic? I don't see an "A" setting anywhere on the aperture ring, yet I know for sure that this lens is compatible with digital format...

What am I overlooking?

09-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, the M series did not have an auto setting. It does not have any electrical contacts. You need to go into the custom function menu and allow lens in setting other than A.
09-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
On my istDS with that lens, I had to go into the Menu - Custom Settings - Using Aperture Ring - (Option2) Permitted. This makes it so that (to quote the camera itself) "Pictures can be taken even when the aperture ring position is other than A". This is necessary because that lens does not have a position 'A'.

Hope this helps on the K10D!
09-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter

You set exposure in manual mode by setting the aperture on the lens , then press the green button. The camera will stop down and meter, then assign a shutter speed automatically. Take your picture.

You can use the lens in Av mode....however the lens will always be at maximum wide aperture no matter where you have set the the f stop on the lens.

09-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have three manual lenses and though I'm still "playing" with them to see what works best with the K10, so far Manual mode rules the roost.

Change the menu settings as instructed above, switch to M mode and adjust your aperture/speed just like you do with the old film cameras. Takes a bit getting used to but after a while, you might just start finding you like all manual better for the really important shots
09-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Frogroast

Forgive me if you know this already, but you can also use the following method.

In manual exposure mode turn the DOF preview lever so the lens stops down. You will see that the meter is still visible and you can turn the aperture ring (or the shutter speed dial if you are really dextrous) until you get the light meter reading centred. Then release the DOF lever, focus and press the shutter.

Oh......... its like using my old MX again !
09-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Frogroast

Forgive me if you know this already, but you can also use the following method.
Are you using Digital Preview method?
09-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
Are you using Digital Preview method?
No. I always use optical preview. I dont think the metering method I outlined above will work if you have the camera set to digital preview.

btw I cannot see the point of digital preview at all. It is harder to check the DOF on the screen compared with looking through the lens. If you do want to check the picture as captured....what is wrong with pressing the shutter release ? You can delete the picture if it doesnt satisfy you.

No..I dont get "digital preview" at all.