Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Finally Ordered the K-x

Well, after much deliberation I ordered a black Pentax K-x today with the 18-55mm and 50-200mm lens from Amazon.com. I considered the K-r, but for the price difference and my needs I didn't see it as necessary. Also, I believe I'll like having the option of AA batteries (regular and rechargeable) over just a proprietary battery. (I don't particularly like that the K-r can use AA batteries but you need an adapter for them which isn't out anywhere yet...a statistical error in judgment/sales from Pentax in my novice opinion.) Anyway, once it comes I'll start "experimenting" to see how the camera performs for my newbie needs. I doubt I'll post any photos here because I'd be too embarrassed! Y'all are so accomplished compared to me and here I am in my early "senior" years. Thanks for all of your input to my questions when I've asked them!

11-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Enjoy your new camera!

As you can see from the Pentax K-x page on flickr, it's a great little camera, and lots of people from all walks of life are having fun with it and producing great images:
Flickr: Camera Finder: Pentax: K-x
11-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-x is still such a bargin!
11-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to see you go for the little gem.
Enjoy shooting but don't be afraid to share your photos, particularly if you're after some feedback.

11-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

welcome aboard..... i've had my k-x for about a year now.... and although i liked the 'feel' of my k200d more, and liked the confidence of weather sealing.... it's never seen the light of day since... you ARE going to enjoy this new camera..... lookin' forward to seeing some pics here in the forum... (p.s.... read about the k-x and related posts as to how to tweak some of the image settings to get the most of jpeg shots)... best of luck, dave m
11-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by InStitches49 Quote
Well, after much deliberation I ordered a black Pentax K-x today ...

Anyway, once it comes I'll start "experimenting" to see how the camera performs for my newbie needs.
I see one big problem: The K-x is considered soooooo yesterday now so first things you'll need to do is;
Press the Info button [on the back], in Custom Image [1st item], select Muted mode...
then go to Info again, cursor across to Digital Filters, and select Retro or Toy Camera.

Had to set mine to those so it would keep working after the K-r hit the shops.

And while waiting for your delivery, here's a source for those useful necessities like e-manual, software or firmware updates for it;
Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

And here's one of the rare decent reviews that helps explain many functions and operation where the manual might not be clear;
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/

Have phun.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-10-2010 at 08:28 PM.
11-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you who so graciously have welcomed me as I await delivery of my new Pentax K-x (hopefully on Friday). I probably also will share this some with my college age daughter who is majoring in journalism and already a better photographer than her mother !

11-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #8

Congratulations! I've had my 2 lens kit K-x for about 2 weeks now -- and its just so much fun!!! Enjoy!!!
11-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I was one of those freaks who could NOT live without the AF indicators.
Hence my purchase of the K-r kit.

That being said, I'm sure you've done your research and I'm guessing you're probably quite happy to have finally made a decision. (I know I was. )

Enjoy.
11-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't forget to update the camera's firmware once you get it. It addresses an important issue regarding battery life.

Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

Being able to use AA is good, but it's also important to choose a good quality one. The best and most popular choice are Sanyo's Eneloops. I get around 400 shots with some flash on my K-x with those.