Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Advise for a noob

I just stepped up to the K10D last week. I owned a 35mm Pentax PZ10 before, but got stuck on digitals and ended up using a point and shoot. I decided I really wanted to get back into photography, so I upgraded. I got the kit lens, and also a 50 - 200mm lens(put a UV filter on both). Also have a circular polarizer, 2 2GB cards, a spare battery, and remote shutter release. I have an old tripod and monopod that are usable.

My question is, what would be a good next step (other than shooting as may shots as possible)? I am really considering a macro lens.

09-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You already mentioned what my first advice would have been.....go and shoot lots of pics !

I would unscrew the uv filters and put them away if I were you. The colour correction is not needed on digital, and as digital sensors are more prone to flare than film cameras, you are not doing any favours by putting an extra piece of glass in the way.
09-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

what kind of shooting will you be doing?
09-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fredw Quote
I owned a 35mm Pentax PZ10 before,

My question is, what would be a good next step (other than shooting as may shots as possible)? I am really considering a macro lens.
Did you keep any lenses from the PZ-10? or is that all gone.

Depending on interest, you could add one of 3 lenses

ultra wide zoom, longer and faster tele zoom, or macro

09-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I do still have one PZ10 lens, but it is the equivalent of the kit lens, so I don't really anticipate using it. I did this on a limted budget, so I only got 1 other lens, which I ended up giving to my brother. I considered putting the camera on ebay, but decided it will be a nice nostalgic piece.

I plan on using the camera mainly for nature shots, with some use for the typical (non-commercial) travel, freinds weddings, parties, ect. Thought a little about an underwater housing, but I doubt it. Will use a cheaper point and shoot for that.
09-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, it seems you've traded straight across from film to digital, replacing your film equipment with roughly equivalent digital equipment (both capable of the same general photography), but you haven't really expanded your photography. So what about adding something new? I noticed you didn't mention flash. Perhaps now might be the time to get a good portable flash unit to explore that aspect of photography (fill, bounce, wired & wireless remote, and similar flash effects).

Your idea about macro is a step in that direction, but perhaps you should consider a less expensive set of close-up lenses before blindly investing in a macro lens. After some experimenting, you may have different ideas about the macro equipment you'll eventually want (most macro enthusiasts prefer macro attachments over macro lenses), or discover you have no interest in this type of photography at all. In my own case, I eventually decided a good quality close-up lens set was enough for me.

You mentioned weddings in a follow-up message. What about investing in an inexpensive portrait lighting setup to add that aspect to your wedding shots? A very basic two-light studio strobe setup will not cost that much more than a quality macro lens, but will open up a much wider range of avenues to explore (including in-studio macro photography).

Well, those are some ideas. That's about all that can be said without knowing more about you and your photography interests. Good luck.

stewart
09-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you indicate nature, and general photography, you have eliminated (for the short term) an ultra wide zoom.

This leaves either a macro, or a good fast lens in the 300+mm range.

There are a lot of options discussed in other threads about both these subjects.

For macro, since much of the time people work in manual focus, you could shop around for any of the pentax or compatible macro lenses in either K or KA mount, and get your feet wet at relitively low cost.

For a better long lens, I would suggest first you try what you have, and then think (and read) about what you really need. You can spend a lot of money in this direction.

As someone else also mentioned, you can also consider a flash, but this would limit the selection of telephoto lenses to KA mounts or newer, since K mount lenses do not work with P-TTL flash

09-20-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My next lens purchase if I were you would be the DA 16-45mm. It might seem redundant since you have the 18-55mm kit lens already but, the two lenses are miles apart. The 16-45 gives you a considerably wider shot and as many have reported, it produces 'prime lens sharpness'..

If you're interested in macro there are a few possibilities out there.

You can buy one of the Pentax 50 or 100mm macro lenses.

You could get an older Pentax macro used.

There's always the third party lens guys. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina all have new macro lenses available.

Of course, there is the 'used' third party lenses.. Maybe a Vivitar? I recommend you buy the Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 macro above any other lens though. Just my .02
09-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fredw Quote

My question is, what would be a good next step (other than shooting as may shots as possible)?
Place your children's college funds in an irrevocable trust.

LBA is headed your way.