Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Problem with K-x in Bulb mode

My friends, i have a problem with my Pentax K-x..

When I make reception of long exposure and when it is in place BULB, as long as time remains shutter open,
so much time is required in order to comes back the machine in situation of waiting so that is feasible the next reception.
That is to say.. i made a reception of duration 5 minutes and the machine it made come in situation of waiting of reception 5 minutes!
I mean that, it makes a thing as reverse measurement from the moment where it will close the shutter up to situation of waiting.
The same problem I have even if I make reception of the 4 or 10 seconds in place BULB…
The strange thing is that when I regulate the machine it makes reception of 30 seconds (no BULB), when finishes the time
it least comes back in situation of waiting of reception in less than 1 second (!!!) thing which means that it is excluded
is to blaim the memory card that I use.I have spent too much time trying different settings but unfortunately the result is negative
I wonder if any of you knows what can be wrong..(?) It is subject of regulation or it is something which doesn't change?
I have the same problem with my Olympus SP-590UZ …

I thank you in advance!!(And I apologize for my bad English!)

11-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Raylon

It's called DFS(dark frame subtraction). Do a search on here and you will find a lot about it.
11-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's the Long Exposure Noise Reduction - on the K-X it can only be turned off below 30 seconds in Bulb mode. Above 30 seconds, it gets forced anyway, and the camera will be unusable for approximately the same amount of time as your actual exposure.

Nothing much you can do about it - its part of the camera specs.

This restriction has been removed with the new cameras K-5 and K-R and you can turn off Long Exposure Noise Reduction completely (time to upgrade ?)
11-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you both for your prompt reply .. The reason that purchased the K-x is the astrophotography over an equatorial mount,
which I can not do because it requires a long exposure (more than 5 minutes) .. thank you again for answers and for your time!
kittykat46.. just bought the camera (last month) and I was hoping it would be appropriate for this use because
of its ability to perform high iso shots with minimal noise .. but this is useless if it is not possible sequence shooting
without large gaps between them .. will keep it for general use and buy a camera that will be suitable for astrophotography.
Thank you again!!

11-11-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you really want to try and turn off DFS you can try the thread below. Haven't tried it myself yet but was considering it, it really bothers me too.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90577-dfs-hack-2.html
11-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
This restriction has been removed with the new cameras K-5 and K-R and you can turn off Long Exposure Noise Reduction completely (time to upgrade ?)
It is certain that the K-r and the K-5 have this feature? Can someone do a test e of exposure in bulb mode
for 5 minutes for example and we confirm for this feature?
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
If you really want to try and turn off DFS you can try the thread below. Haven't tried it myself yet but was considering it, it really bothers me too.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90577-dfs-hack-2.html
Thank you but I will not install unauthorized software on my device .. Prefer to sell my K-x
(and probably this will do) and buy a K-r or K-5 to be sure that I will have the desired result ..

Thank you once again!!
11-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
..however, the camera does a great shots in the dark .. If it were possible to disable the dfs, there was no way to never part ..
The photo below is a result of 44x30" (+ 3 darks) exposures at ISO 1600.. (18mm f/3,5).

Attached Images