Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Low ISO - LOOOOOOONG exposure

Anybody want to play with a couple ISO 80, long exposure shots (in case you need to be pushed further toward the K5 edge), Go on and have a stab at them. Nothing spectacular but still might be fun to play with (yes, I know I have a couple dust spots on my sensor).

4 Minutes

17 minutes

11-11-2010, 04:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Anybody want to play with a couple ISO 80, long exposure shots (in case you need to be pushed further toward the K5 edge), Go on and have a stab at them. Nothing spectacular but still might be fun to play with (yes, I know I have a couple dust spots on my sensor).
That much dust already?

Anyway, that 4 minute dark exposure was fun to play with, I can't find any banding or other patterned noise in it at all.

Here's my "artsy" version of it
11-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

4 Minutes

17 minutes

Jeff,

I clicked on your links and I am getting very small images from what seem to be Quick Time files.
Can't see the pictures as they should show.

But I have questions: did the K5 get into DFS while doing these long exposures?
If so, what do you think about the results you are getting? Happy with that?

JP
11-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Raylon

These aren't long at all, go check out the star trails thread. Now that is a long, clean, and beautiful 90 minute exposure.

But yes same thing as jpzk, it's showing up as a quicktime file....

11-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I clicked on your links and I am getting very small images from what seem to be Quick Time files.
That's just the preview, I think, I could still save the DNGs.
11-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

The downloads show up for me as DNGs that the Win7 OS asks if Picasa should open (which works fine). Hope that helps given those details (maybe try Picasa).
11-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They open up fine With photo-shop and XP-pro sp3.

11-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Jeff,

Can't see the pictures as they should show.

But I have questions: did the K5 get into DFS while doing these long exposures?
If so, what do you think about the results you are getting? Happy with that?

JP
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
These aren't long at all, go check out the star trails thread. Now that is a long, clean, and beautiful 90 minute exposure.

But yes same thing as jpzk, it's showing up as a quicktime file....
I don't know what you're expecting to see when you click the links. I don't know anything about Quicktime, these are DNG RAW files, Not finished JPG photos.

JP, I have DFS turned off. A misconception is that it occurs During the exposure. It does not, it occurs After the exposure. Effectively making the exposure time twice as long. Yes, I'm happy that I can turn it off.

BTW, 17 minutes was long enough for me to stand outside freezing my ass off. Not that I couldn't use the loss, a big chunk of it broke off when I tried to walk back in the house. I salute the people who have the patience to get 1.75 hour exposures, right now, I'm not one of them.

QuoteQuote:
That much dust already?
It's clean now. Either the shaker or the blower took care of it, couldn't say which. I also discovered the front element was filthy too but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Perhaps one or two of the less defined spots.

Cool translation by the way. I'd like to see more...

Here's mine.

Last edited by JeffJS; 11-11-2010 at 10:52 AM.
11-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
Raylon

I don't know what you're expecting to see when you click the links. I don't know anything about Quicktime, these are DNG RAW files, Not finished JPG photos.
I was using Safari on my Mac and apparently it was doing something weird, it wanted to open it with Quicktime. I am aware of what a DNG is.
11-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was using Safari on my Mac and apparently it was doing something weird, it wanted to open it with Quicktime. I am aware of what a DNG is.
DNG = Digital Negative

Google is your friend.

DNG, digital negative | Adobe

11-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
Raylon

DNG = Digital Negative

Google is your friend.

DNG, digital negative | Adobe

Uhhm, I guess I will quote myself again...

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylonn:

I am aware of what a DNG is.
11-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Does the same thing on my computer (PC w/ Google Chrome) if I accidentally click on the link instead of right-click-save-as.
11-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #13

loooooooooooong exposure

hello. In star trails thread you can see my result with k20 I own. Not so bad I think..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/69481-night-star-pict...estions-4.html

Its 8th post from top(2 pictures)

Michal