Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-7 SD card slot problems

Hi Everyone,

This is my first posting! I recently purchased a new K-7 and I am not satisfied with the stiffness involved in removing the SD card. I have had four Pentax digital cameras before (K100, Km and a little Optio E90) and none of them had this problem. I took it to the Service Centre today, and they told me that it was stiff because the camera was new. I didn't buy this comment and demonstrated that I could actually hold the whole camera by the SD card itself before it would come out! They have offered to have it adjusted, so watch this space! Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I have another concern. Even though I have disabled the 'Dust cleaning function on start-up', the camera still makes a little mechanical noise when you switch it on. I have looked at other cameras in the stores, and some of them are silent when you switch them on, and some make a noise. Should I be concerned?

As yet, I haven't taken many photos - mainly during the day time. I did go into a cave with very low-light and was quite disappointed at how slow the shutter speed was even at 3200 iso.

I'm missing my Km so much!!

Ed Coleman

11-11-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most other cameras do not have in-body image stabilization. This is very likely the mechanical "noise" you are hearing/feeling.
11-11-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The SD slot does work out over time. If you turn you SD Card around and push it in backwards, it loosens it up a little, but it really isn't a big deal. I have no idea what sound you are hearing on start up. I have my K7 set to do Dust cleaning on start up and it makes a little whirring sound.

As to the low light situation, iso is what it is. That is to say that any other camera should have similar shutter speeds in the same lighting situation at iso 3200 and the same aperture lens.

Hope things improve for you. I think you will find the K7 to be a very solid camera -- much better in some respects than your beloved km -- over time.
11-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has been a much discussed "issue" with the difficulty to remove the SD card out of the K7 (and the K5 seemingly).
Ed:

I own the K7 and I found it hard to remove during the first few weeks.
This seems much better now, after having put in/removed the card coountless of times.
As far as I am concerned, it is not a "problem" perse, rather an annoyance which usually goes away after a while.
The K5 also suffers from the same condition, so to speak, but it has not been a major subject of concern.

Here are a few links to that specific issue:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/116238-secure-digi...d-slot-k5.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/120285-problems-re...-my-k-5-a.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/102523-how-make-easier-access...card-slot.html

I would recommend that you use the search engine provided herein on this forum when you want to post a new thread, that way, you may well find your answers faster and in more details.

Cheers.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 11-11-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: added links to the page
11-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The mechanical noise is the aperture control motor cycling at start-up. If you turn on the camera with the lens removed, you should be able to see the lever move slightly.
SD card can be little snug.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:49 PM.
11-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I might try a very minute amount of some dry lube rubbed on the sd card itself. I've used LEE resizing lubricant for all sorts of little problems like this. This is really meant for lubricating cartridge brass before forcing it into a resizing die so that it won't get stuck. Unlike most products for the same application this is not oil based, but water soluble and forms a dry lubricating / non-stick film when it dries. I don't know the composition exactly, but this doesn't make the treated surface a dust/dirt magnet like oil based lubes would. The minutest amount makes a difference and the effect lasts very long, it seems, so in this case I would smear a bit on the card and then wipe off all that I can with tissue paper.
11-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use my fingernail to grab the card by the small crack along the edge. Point the card slot down and it usually comes out easily. My media is a SanDisk Ultra SD HC.

11-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The stiffness of the SD card will work out after a few uses. Don't worry about it. It's not broken. The sounds are supposed to be there.

QuoteOriginally posted by ed coleman Quote
As yet, I haven't taken many photos - mainly during the day time. I did go into a cave with very low-light and was quite disappointed at how slow the shutter speed was even at 3200 iso.
Sorry, that's not the camera. That's the slow lens you are using + the lack of available light.