Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Who is Rice Low and what is his problem?

Hi all,

I was just browsing around on the web looking for K5 reviews and came across a blog by someone called Rice High. He seems to take a lot of pleasure in heaping vitriol on everything Pentax. To read his stuff you would think it was impossible to take a picture with a Pentax. Who is this guy and who crapped in his cornflakes? Why does he seem to have such a problem with Pentax? Is he a paid basher for Nikon and Canon?

Tom G

11-11-2010, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Tom, you joined this forum in Feb-2008, active enough to have made over 2,000 posts, and you have not heard of RH -- are you kidding us?
11-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Hi all,

I was just browsing around on the web looking for K5 reviews and came across a blog by someone called Rice High. He seems to take a lot of pleasure in heaping vitriol on everything Pentax. To read his stuff you would think it was impossible to take a picture with a Pentax. Who is this guy and who crapped in his cornflakes? Why does he seem to have such a problem with Pentax? Is he a paid basher for Nikon and Canon?

Tom G
I'd almost think you were trolling to be honest...Rice High has been around forever. Always for the most part been super critical of Pentax. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though. Don't like it, move on to the next site.
11-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Tom, you joined this forum in Feb-2008, active enough to have made over 2,000 posts, and you have not heard of RH -- are you kidding us?

Kguru,

Been around for a long time but as a rule I don't wander far from this forum. Seriously, I'm not familiar with this guy but he seems to put a lot of effort into trashing Pentax. He really needs to get a life. Perhaps I do too.

Tom G

11-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tom,
I don't know much either, but RH used to be on these forums. From what I understand he was rather negative of Pentax here too, although he used the gear. Some time ago he decided to 'leave' - I think it was after multiple moderation warnings. I remember reading the 'goodbye' thread when I was new here. I dont think he was missed by many members!
11-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Banned

His last post :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/63194-i-am-leaving-pentaxfor...bye-folks.html
11-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Kguru,
Been around for a long time but as a rule I don't wander far from this forum. Seriously, I'm not familiar with this guy but he seems to put a lot of effort into trashing Pentax. He really needs to get a life. Perhaps I do too.

Tom G
RH was a participant on PF, not only he argued persistently with many but also many talked about him here, so I'm surprised you had not come across any.

Anyway my take is RH was a keen Pentax shooter, until the K10D I think that he had some issues with. He took up with Pentax and apparently they didn't take him and/or the issues seriously. From then on he turned very bitter.

11-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

His blog is just so badly written and put together. I'd be embarrassed to offer something like that up to the world. It reads like his education never went past primary school.
11-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Yea, Rice High was a user and supporter of Pentax for quite a while, now sadly he has become bitter about the brand. Why that is I'm not sure.

In reality I take him about as seriously as Nikonians take Ken Rockwell. He has become a joke to the rest of the Pentax community.
11-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rice High is someone who was a frequent poster on Pentax Forums for awhile. As far as I know he was never officially banned, but he was warned several times about self promotion of his web site and he eventually left.

The problem that I had with Rice High was that he was never about photography, but only about "measurbation" as he calls it. He had some kind of bad experience with Pentax back in the *ist D days and ever since then has run a web site primarily aimed to spreading the news about Pentax's problems. Anyway, from his perspective, the Universe revolves around him. When the kx came out, his comment was "Pentax finally listened to me!"
11-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Anyway my take is RH was a keen Pentax shooter, until the K10D I think that he had some issues with. He took up with Pentax and apparently they didn't take him and/or the issues seriously. From then on he turned very bitter.
It is a funny idea that Pentax could ever take him seriously. Or perhaps terrifying idea. Do you remember some of his proposals to Pentax marketing? I know he thinks he would run the company better, but if Pentax took him seriously, they wouldn't survive a single quarter.
11-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Haha, Rice High, I thought that was done and over with.
11-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
His blog is just so badly written and put together. I'd be embarrassed to offer something like that up to the world. It reads like his education never went past primary school.
That describes a good portion of the world population.
11-11-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all,

I was just curious why someone would waste so much time and effort bashing the brand. I figured there had to be a story behind it.
Now I have a better idea who Rice is and its probably time to move on to more productive things.

Tom G
11-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

He's the equivalent of an on-line stalker for Pentax.

Many consumer products companies and almost all well known stars or performers have them......think of them as the negative version of a Fan...

The psychological profile is often of a previously ardent fan/admirer who has become embittered....
Well adjusted adults normally simply move on to other things (like switching systems in the case of photography) , these character types simply can't get over it.

Last edited by kittykat46; 11-11-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Closed Thread