Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
OMG... I'm sooo 2009!

Ha ha!

Well, I did it. I just bought a K7 and couldn't be happier. I sold my k200d and got an amazing deal on the K7. The price is good right now because of the K5 and I jumped on it. I have been waiting for this since the day the K7 was released.

My impressions compared to the K200d so far is that the K7 is much better in so many ways. Not that the K200d was a bad camera at all, I loved that camera and it was really hard to let go, but the K7 FPS and auto focus are much better than the K200d IMHO. I wanted an all in one so I didn't have to carry my separate video camera around and this was perfect. I kept my K100DS as a backup as well. For some reason I could not part with it and I also got more for the K200D.

The K7 does lack the high iso quality but that isn't that big of a deal to me. The other things about this camera far outweigh this shortcoming. I think the overall image quality is great, although I have yet to really test things out.

So, in 2011 or 2012 I will pick up a K5!! Ha Ha I'm such a cheap bastard...

11-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you have the latest firmware upgrade for it? All I can say is the when I downloaded v1.3, the AF was improved by at least 50%.

Have fun with the new camera!

Jason
11-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Seamripper Quote
The K7 does lack the high iso quality but that isn't that big of a deal to me. The other things about this camera far outweigh this shortcoming. I think the overall image quality is great, although I have yet to really test things out.
Yea coming from a K200 any ISO performance is an upgrade! I hated pushing over 400 with that camera. Amazing the difference a few years can make. Congratz on the purchase!
11-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Do you have the latest firmware upgrade for it? All I can say is the when I downloaded v1.3, the AF was improved by at least 50%.

Have fun with the new camera!

Jason
Ah yes, thanks for reminding me! That is great news.

11-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Seamripper,
I'm with you only I bought the Pentax K-x yesterday along with two lens because for my needs I just couldn't justify the cost of the newer K-r even with just one lens. Frankly I also like the battery part of the K-x better since I have another DSLR that uses only a proprietary battery and remembering on some trips to pack the charger and such is a pain! Hey, 2009 wasn't that bad of a year in some ways.
11-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've made the switch from K200 to K7 too.
What I love about the K7 is faster AF and more fps. The hige ISO I'm not so thrilled about, but it's better than the K200D.
With the K200 I had a battery grip and I ordered one for the K7, not only because of longer power but also because I like to have something in my hands. I don't have very big hands, but the first couple of days I had the K7 I thought is was small and light. Now, after a couple of weeks without the grip, I'm used to it but I can't wait for that grip to arrive.

Congrats on your camera, btw.
11-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
I've made the switch from K200 to K7 too.
What I love about the K7 is faster AF and more fps. The hige ISO I'm not so thrilled about, but it's better than the K200D.
With the K200 I had a battery grip and I ordered one for the K7, not only because of longer power but also because I like to have something in my hands. I don't have very big hands, but the first couple of days I had the K7 I thought is was small and light. Now, after a couple of weeks without the grip, I'm used to it but I can't wait for that grip to arrive.

Congrats on your camera, btw.
Yes, the battery grip is a must for me as I have big hands. I am debating if I should buy the aftermarket grip and save the money or get the original Pentax one. I like the fact that the Pentax is weather sealed but it's so expensive ($279 CAD)

Yes, in many (if not all) aspects, the K7 is better than the K200D. I am very happy with my purchase.

11-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by InStitches49 Quote
Seamripper,
I'm with you only I bought the Pentax K-x yesterday along with two lens because for my needs I just couldn't justify the cost of the newer K-r even with just one lens. Frankly I also like the battery part of the K-x better since I have another DSLR that uses only a proprietary battery and remembering on some trips to pack the charger and such is a pain! Hey, 2009 wasn't that bad of a year in some ways.
Congrats on the K-x!

I still have all my Eneloops from my K200D. They are awesome!! I will be using them in the grip for my K7 once I get it. That solves the back-up issue. I did kinda like the AA batteries for the K200d. It was pretty convenient although I'll see how the K7 battery works out. So far it's been fully charged with much use setting up the camera and testing. Time will tell...