Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how much play should there be in the lens?

I was checking my wife's camera in more detail and I noticed it seems to have a fair amount of play in where the part is that you zoom in and out meets the internal part (I don't know much about the termenoligy, sorry)

how tight should it be? does it matter if it focuses right?

thanks

cheers

12-04-2006, 08:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Auto focus lenses tend to be "looser", have more play in them then MF lenses, to make it easier for the motor to do it's job.

If the lens appears to be operating properly, I would not worry.

-Alan
12-04-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I also noticed some "play" on my K100 18-55 kit lens at manual focus ring. At first I worried about this. But the same "play" ("LUFT") also has Canon EOS350 kit lenses, and other "modern lenses".
Test pictures taken with my 30 years old M42 lenses (without any play) have slightly softer images, so my worries were gone away.

Suprisingly, this almost 0,3mm "luft" obviously has no noticeably effect on picture quality. But in fact, it is strange.
12-04-2006, 09:32 AM   #4

My 18-55 has it too.

That said, it takes fine pictures and seems to function ok. Probably not an issue, other than it feels strange.
Good Luck
Frank