Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 102
Advice - Equipment selection

Well, I have a dillemma here. I have found the following for sale locally at a killer price (stay tuned):

50-200 for about 95-100 USD
Sigma DG500 Super for ~190 USD

At this point in time, I'd like to choose one piece over the other...unless I finally cave in (and dig into my student loans) and purchase both pieces.

Hence, I need some advice.

My current lens setup consists of the following, on a K10d:

Tamron 28-75 2.8
and
P/K Chinon 50 1.4

I do not find myself "wishing" for a longer reach on my camera 99% of the time, but there is the other 1% of the time where I may be walking around and be like, "cool, I wish my lens was longer".

I will eventually be purchasing a 70-200 2.8, but at this point in time, it is out of the picture (at least, until I finish University).

Advice, please?

I'm also a little fuzzy on the "advantages" of buying an external flash for the type of photography I do (photojounalistic portraiture)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

TW

09-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 423
If you don't find yourself needing the longer reach 99% of the time, get the flash then. You can always pick up a M135/3.5 or M200/4 cheaply for that 1% time. The prime will probably give you better IQ than the zoom most of the time anyway.

cheers
Kenny
09-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 102
Original Poster
Nobody can provide any insight?

I know a lot of gurus are out there, but is my question too "stupid"? ;-)

I've done whatever research I can about external flash, but need someone to explain it in detail to a rock like me.
09-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,943
After your research, what is it that you do not understand about external flash and its uses?

09-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Connecticut USA
Posts: 73
For a good introduction to flash use check out the stobist.com blog-site. Just about everything you need to know about flash photography can be found there or through the site links.

There are some good tutorial as well as a series of assignments and follow up discussion.
09-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 102
Original Poster
I understand the usage of external flashes, but I do not know if having one will prove to be any benefit to my style of photography (not sure if that makes sense, but it does in my head!)

I understand that external flashes give a greater range, and greater latitude in its usage than an onboard flash. However, once again, I do not know in what sort of situations would an external flash prove its usefulness over an onboard flash.

Am I making the slightest bit of sense here?

Thanks in advance for your continued help!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advice, camera, dslr, lens, photography, time, usd
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Q on a 2x Converter selection. arbib Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 11-23-2009 01:31 AM
Looking for Advice on Lens Selection crackne Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 05-01-2009 05:03 PM
Advice needed for lens selection Torphoto Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 11-21-2008 11:31 AM
Help with Macro selection rmtagg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 33 03-16-2008 05:43 PM
Advice on used equipment pricing astronomer Pentax Film SLR Discussion 9 01-28-2008 11:04 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:00 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top