Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For those who did AF adjustment (via DEBUG) on your camera

Hi All,

Just a quick Q for those who did the AF adjustment via DEBUG, do you leave the DEBUG enabled all the time or disable it after each adjustment?

Just curious about this. I got a DA21 yesterday, and found it has abit BF problem on both my K10D and K100D. Did some AF adjustment via Debug on the K100D, now the BF problem is gone (to my eyes). But I have to reset the value back for other lenses when the DA21 is unmounted. Of course I disable the debug mode after each adjustment. Seems the camera still takes photos fine even under debug mode. Wonder if anyone here just leaves the camera in debug mode all the time?

Oh btw, here is a comparison:

K100D+DA21 before AF adjustment (F3.2, center crop):

K100D+DA21 after AF adjustment (F3.2, center crop):

Both were taken handheld. I took several shots for each (just to avoid handshake error), the results are quite similar.

09-19-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have read somewhere that Debug mode takes more power and drains the batteries more quickly.
Not sure if this is true.
09-20-2007, 02:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I have read somewhere that Debug mode takes more power and drains the batteries more quickly.
Yes, it is just because with the Debug mode activated, the LCD is always turned on. So, it is not so practical afterall. The work around is that you turn off the main switch immediate after each shot but then it will be very troublesome then.
09-20-2007, 03:08 AM   #4

I'm not sure, but in debug mode camera doesn't save exif data in pictures. And all the time working LCD would be real pita!

09-20-2007, 03:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
frank how do you get into the Debug mode in the 2 cameras? I found a link to it earlier but couldn't get into it. I'm wondering if they corrected that access point with Firmware 1.30.
09-20-2007, 03:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
frank how do you get into the Debug mode in the 2 cameras? I found a link to it earlier but couldn't get into it. I'm wondering if they corrected that access point with Firmware 1.30.
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Secret Firmware Menu of the K10D (V1.10)

Do note that the key sequence only works for the K10D firmware version 1.10. Pentax changed the sequence from fw v1.11 and onwards to avoid users from accessing the secret menu.

Just for the sake of accessing the menu, some users may wish to get back to older firmware and here is an article about that:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: How to Get Back to an Older Version of the Firmware?
09-20-2007, 03:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
I'm not sure, but in debug mode camera doesn't save exif data in pictures. And all the time working LCD would be real pita!
IIRC, as frank said, nothing is different with the pictures (and thus there is also EXIF).
09-20-2007, 05:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Were both images cropped equally, Frank? If so, the first image (larger text) looks like the camera might have been too close to the subject to focus properly, while the second image (smaller text) was taken from slightly further away with the subject within the focus range. With images casually taken handheld, the results are somewhat less reliable than those taken at precise measured distances and so on.

stewart

09-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Hmm, I guess so. Just tested, the LCD is always on when in debug mode. This probably would drain the batteries quickly ...
09-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
The img recorded in debug mode still has the exif intact as far as I can see And yes, the LCD is a problem, better disable the debug after each adjustment.
09-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
As RH said above, for K10D camera, you need to use earlier v1.1 firmware. Probably nobody in public knows the key sequence to get into the debug mode under new v1.3 firmware, yet.

For K100D with v1.02 firmware, you still can:
Re: K100D Debug Mode???: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
IIRC, as frank said, nothing is different with the pictures (and thus there is also EXIF).
Yes, that's what I see from my K100D.
09-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Were both images cropped equally, Frank? If so, the first image (larger text) looks like the camera might have been too close to the subject to focus properly, while the second image (smaller text) was taken from slightly further away with the subject within the focus range. With images casually taken handheld, the results are somewhat less reliable than those taken at precise measured distances and so on.

stewart
Well, I took those shots handheld, and I need to adjust the AF in debug mode, so the composition and distance to target for both imgs are definitely different. But I did try several times with the AF adjusted and without, the results are pretty consistent. Actually I can see the results quite clearly by viewing the real photos I took before and after the adjustment
09-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Another Suggestion..

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just curious about this. I got a DA21 yesterday, and found it has abit BF problem on both my K10D and K100D.
Frank, since you've just got your copy, why not exchange another to see if you have the luck?

But do note that Benjamin did have got 4 copies (IIRC) of the DA21 and he was only satisfied after several exchanges, even that was arranged by Pentax France. So, it seems that the DA 21 does have some kind of mis-focusing problem when used on Pentax DSLRs but at least Ben finally was able to get one which is accurate.

So, good luck and hope that next time you post you have got a good copy (maybe out of all those other numerous "lemons" in the pool).
09-20-2007, 11:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Frank, since you've just got your copy, why not exchange another to see if you have the luck?

But do note that Benjamin did have got 4 copies (IIRC) of the DA21 and he was only satisfied after several exchanges, even that was arranged by Pentax France. So, it seems that the DA 21 does have some kind of mis-focusing problem when used on Pentax DSLRs but at least Ben finally was able to get one which is accurate.

So, good luck and hope that next time you post you have got a good copy (maybe out of all those other numerous "lemons" in the pool).
Thanks RH But mine is a second hand one. Got it cheap, so no much complain

Cheers!