Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
RAW processing for K10D???

hey guys

there is a store i know of that has a K10D body on hold for me. however, i use mostly Aperture for my Raw workflow. I also have Capture One Pro, Lightroom, and Photoshop CS2.

what are people using to process their RAW images from this camera?

or maybe I am better off waiting until it is supported by Apple? (or a hack comes about)

thanks for any insight
-rw

12-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by russellwolff Quote
hey guys

there is a store i know of that has a K10D body on hold for me. however, i use mostly Aperture for my Raw workflow. I also have Capture One Pro, Lightroom, and Photoshop CS2.

what are people using to process their RAW images from this camera?

or maybe I am better off waiting until it is supported by Apple? (or a hack comes about)

thanks for any insight
-rw
I wrote on the adobe cs2 forum and they said that adobe will not reveal when native raw support will come for the k10, so you will have to use the .dng format in camera to process raw in cs2 (not sure about lightroom as it is beta)
they did say that updates to the raw plugin for cs2 is updated 3 to 4 times a year, so I am sure that the support for the k10 will be very soon.
I have a windows machine, so I can't say for sure anything about apple

hope this helps

randy
12-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
dng...

once converted to DNG in camera though, what will open it?

meaning this...

I have heard that DNG support is based upon what specific camera model it comes from.

anyone on this?
12-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

try this: SILKYPIX Developer Studio

it works with K10d and it's free to try for one month

12-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
SilkyPix vs Pentax Photo Lab

So, it seems that Pentax is using the Silky Pix engine for this version of their software.

Should the results be the same? Anyone?

thanks
12-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

CS2 and ACR 3.6 support DNG files from the K10D natively.

I've had no problems. Shouldn't be any problem with Lightroom either.
12-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Results can be the same. But everything is much easier with Silkypix..
You can check photos, converted with "early preview" version of Silkypix, here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/1187-couldnt-resist.html

12-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by russellwolff Quote
once converted to DNG in camera though, what will open it?

meaning this...

I have heard that DNG support is based upon what specific camera model it comes from.

anyone on this?

Adobe is the maker of .dng which stands for digital negative. as you are aware of, every manufacture has a different extension for their raw output....
what adobe is trying to do is make a standard that all cameras will use someday (.dng)
you can download a program from adobe called .dng converter, which will convert almost all raw files to .dng
So far, I think Pentax k10 and its sister camera's samsung are the only ones that output to .dng.

here is the drawn out explaination from adobe:
Adobe - Digital Negative (DNG)

here is the download for the dng converter:

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows

hope this makes sense, if it doesn't please let me know
12-04-2006, 04:06 PM   #9

I've been a C1 user since I got my *istD about 2½ years ago, I got very comfortable with its interface but with no support for DNG or K10D pef's on the horizon I was recommended Silkypix DS 3 by the image guru (Hi Matt) over at the UK pentax users forum for processing K10D DNG/PEF files (beta 3.03 has K10D pef support), I wont be using C1 much in the future, Silkypix DS 3 is a must for raw convertion. As Kjsak mentions you can get a 30day trial, the full program is 16000YEN (£72 or $140), IMO you wont regret purchasing it.
12-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You might want to take a look at UFraw and gimp, I like the idea of open programs.

regards,
ken
12-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I've been using Bibble Lite for my K100D, and plan to soon be using it for my K10D. It is the perfect compromise between ease of use/quick learning and features/performance. It is also very fast, and has batch capabilities.

They offer a 2 week free trial, and you can probably get a 2 week extension if you request it (I did). The cost is $69.00. It is considerably more powerful than ACR (IMO), and if no editing is required, Bibble is generally all that I need for PP'ing. See:
Bibble Labs - Professional Photo Workflow Software

In terms of the question of K10D support, they issued the following statement on November 20:
"just as a heads up, there won't be an update untill next month....Holidays and all that."

Presuming that the "Holidays" were Thanksgiving, it should be able to handle K10D PEF's any day now.

One caveat: Its present version, 4.9, does not work with DNG's. It is rumored that the next major update, to 5.0, will.

Larry

Last edited by LarryDeBx; 12-04-2006 at 06:15 PM.
12-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LarryDeBx Quote
One caveat: Its present version, 4.9, does not work with DNG's. It is rumored that the next major update, to 5.0, will.
Larry
Hmm, Bibble comments on DNG (in their forum) made me impression that they are not going to support DNG anytime soon, even more, it seems that there are no real technical problems to do that, they just think that DNG is evil
12-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I downloaded Bibble and it did not support my DNG files converted from my *istD so I couldn't use it. I downloaded Silkypix and it was very good but not very intuitive. I have been using Lightroom for a couple of months and I like it a lot. I downloaded ACDSee Pro and didn't like it at all. I might stick with Lightroom after it goes to market, but will have to see. It does read my K10 DNGs just fine.
12-05-2006, 12:55 AM   #14
Forum Member

While ACR 3.6 will process a K10D DNG file, it won't do the best job on it because it is lacking any specific profile for the new Pentax. The "banding" shots you've no doubt heard so much about were converted by ACR. When the Pentax software was used, the banding was all but nonexistant.

ACR won't do a very decent job of processing K10D RAW files until Adobe has a profile specific to the camera. Yes, it means that DNG isn't really "universal". DNG only does half the job of making RAW files device independent. It standardizes the file format, but the color profile is still very much camera dependent.
12-05-2006, 02:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

DNG *has* camera profile embedded.