Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2006, 10:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Yeah, post processing is better as there is more rooms to maneuvre with various options. As long as shot in raw, possibilities are limitless as 14 bit - 2 to the power of 14 for types of colour: sharpening and colour saturdation are easily adjusted than the shots already pre determined by in built camera setting

12-04-2006, 11:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Think of it this way.. You are relying on a really tiny low-powered computer in the camera to do everything your big computerdoes in the same or less time it takes your big computer to do it... What do you think is more careful?
You omit one important thing: that low-powered computer in camera is designed for specific purpose (image processing) and therefore does that much much more efficient than our general purpose powerful CPUs. Being less powerful doesn't mean it's slower and less capable in some very specific task.
12-05-2006, 03:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I guess I made "jpg not raw" sounds a little confusing.
Is sharpening in raw the same method of sharpening that the camera's built in software does to the output .jpg? It seems to me that when I sharpen in photoshop camera raw I can get away with more sharpening the pic then in just plain photoshop.
I agree with you, sharpening is always the last thing I do
cheers
Okey, now I get you. Then it comes down to workflow. I never had any deeper interest in going from the raw converter and straight to a JPG picture. Maybe that is partly an old habit. Most of the pictures I take are not for web presentation but for print. So I move the pictures to Photoshop and PSD for further work. At a point I can save the picture and from there make either a print version, or a web version (or both). And as nearly all here say, the last step will be the sharpening.
I have no idea what method the camera uses for sharpening. Some pictures published (straight from the camera type) show halos and to me they can look a little crude.
That said, for those wanting JPG pics from the camera it should be possible to experiment with the camera settings and find settings they like. Or so I guess - I have the DS and never really liked the JPG pics it makes.

regards,