Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Resetting the Shot Number on K10D

Hi Folks:

I remember this was discussed before on another forum, but I can't find it.
I want to change the numeric sequence on my images so that my K10 D will reflect a more accurate shot count. I got it today and shot with a card, and my shots are in the 100-0650 range. It really should be picking up the count at about 0050 or so. It had something to do with renaming a part of the SD card image number but I forget how. anybody remember?

Thanks very much

Cam Traviss

09-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cam Traviss Quote
Hi Folks:

I remember this was discussed before on another forum, but I can't find it.
I want to change the numeric sequence on my images so that my K10 D will reflect a more accurate shot count. I got it today and shot with a card, and my shots are in the 100-0650 range. It really should be picking up the count at about 0050 or so. It had something to do with renaming a part of the SD card image number but I forget how. anybody remember?

Thanks very much

Cam Traviss
You might give this a try:
1. delete all but one photos on the card, and rename the only left one to IMGP0050.jpg (on a PC through a card reader).
2. go to Set-up Menu, set the File # to Reset.
3. put in the card and take a shot. play back and check the file number.
4. if it's like what you want, then reset the File # to SerialNo.

If this doesn't work, the best bet is to format the card, then do the above 2 to 4, you'll have a brand new camera (file number starts from 0001)
09-21-2007, 05:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a simular issue and did pretty much what Frank said. Check here if you want.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/8976-mixed-card-counter-issue.html
09-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a request into Pentax to allow us to modify th e4 character prefix on the camera.

I have done this becasue if you continually reset the counter, or have multiple cameras, there is a real risk of getting the file names confused, and you overwrite data.

09-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
You might give this a try:
1. delete all but one photos on the card, and rename the only left one to IMGP0050.jpg (on a PC through a card reader).
2. go to Set-up Menu, set the File # to Reset.
3. put in the card and take a shot. play back and check the file number.
4. if it's like what you want, then reset the File # to SerialNo.

If this doesn't work, the best bet is to format the card, then do the above 2 to 4, you'll have a brand new camera (file number starts from 0001)

That's the one I was looking for. Many thanks.
11-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #6

K10D is cool. Picture count reset

I hope I remember what I did to reset the card count. First formated the card. Took one picture. I don't have a card reader so I plugged the camera into PCs USB and got a drive letter like "E" in My Computer. Clicked on file "E" then clicked on DCIM and the one picture opened. I right clicked on the picture file name box to rename it to 0001. Then right clicked on the file name box again on the "send to" option and send to drive "E" the picture uploaded to the camera. And BOOM, Info button showed 100-0001.