Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #1

multi-flash lighting ?

I'm not a newb to photography (35mm), but definately behind the learning curve with DSLRs. I have a k100D. Looking at getting a Pentax AF360 flash.

Can someone walk me through step by step at how i could set up a two or three strobe lighting setup. I am a bit confused with the PTTL thing and how it affects the other slaves mated with strobes. Will I need to purchase Wein hot shoe adapters make to ignor the preflash, to fire the other strobes?

09-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you're 'putting the cart before the horse' so to speak. You don't even have one external flash and you want to know how to set-up multiples?!?!

Here's an interesting observation: buy the 360, read the manual--I'd bet good money what you think you want to do is outlined somewhere between the first and last pages of that weighty tome.

For some years now, at my home we have had an ongoing discussion about the need to start at the beginning, take baby steps---crawl before walking, walk before running, etc. And the need to serve some form of apprenticeship or probationary period before you run the company. Your two messages hardly qualify you for a job, much less training.

Here's my best advise: buy the flash as suggested/desired, read the manual, experiment (digital is cheap). Keep in mind that you have two or three lights already: the on-board flash and the external and the sun! Stroll on over to Strobist and read/work your way through the 101 stuff. Forget the Wein toys and buy a dedicated flash cable and the two appliances that are necessary to keep the external flash off the camera! Be cheap and use a piece of white foam core board as a reflector. Learn the basics!

Of course you could hang around and wait for some eager-beaver to give you exactly what you requested---ignorance is bliss!

QuoteOriginally posted by pathfinder Quote
I'm not a newb to photography (35mm), but definately behind the learning curve with DSLRs. I have a k100D. Looking at getting a Pentax AF360 flash.

Can someone walk me through step by step at how i could set up a two or three strobe lighting setup. I am a bit confused with the PTTL thing and how it affects the other slaves mated with strobes. Will I need to purchase Wein hot shoe adapters make to ignor the preflash, to fire the other strobes?
09-21-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
and
Site Supporter

If you want to learn about lighting, you can read here Strobist: Lighting 101
09-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can of course read the AF-360FGZ manual without buying one--they are available online at the Pentax website. For that matter, some of this is explained in the camera body manual as well.

09-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Since you're not new to photography (and i'm guessing flash photography as well?), no need to explain all the jargon. There's no need to really avoid the preflash unless it's making your subjects blink or something else rare happening.

The setup (and steps) will be very similar to 35mm. You'll most likely be going wireless if you've invested in multiple 360 flashes.

P-TTL is a flash system that requires a preflash for measuring flash exposure before the actual captured flash shot (so avoid non-P-TTL light triggered slaves). P-TTL lets you set flash compensation individually on each of your strobes. That's pretty much all there is to know about p-ttl that's related to setting up.
You don't have to worry about avoiding the preflash if you stick with P-TTL strobes because the P-TTL system works wirelessly as well, there will actually be a few preflashes in that case, that's all.

If you've used strobes in 35mm film days, than all those features are still there. Auto, and Manual modes are all available. There is also a Contrast ratio mode available as well when using multiple strobes.

Also, just a side note, your camera does not support the more traditional TTL flash metering.