Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What would you choose?
Pentax K5 with 21mm f3.2 and 35mm 2.8 Limited lenses 5568.75%
Canon 5D MK II with Carl Zeiss 28mm 2 and 35mm 2 2531.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjtn Quote
I'd like to know what you would personally choose, if money wasn't the deciding factor, for landscape photography out of:

- Pentax K5 with 15mm 4 and 31mm 1.8 Limited lenses

- Canon 5D MK II with Carl Zeiss 28mm 2 and 35mm 2

I'm more concerned with image quality, ergonomics and build quality. My prints don't exceed 16x24" and never use anything above base ISO.
Money no object purchase: Pentax 645D. Restricted to the above two choices, it would be the K5. I hate Canons. Personal point of view, of course. I have yet to find a Canon that feels right in my hands, but then I don't look very often, either.

11-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm curious Farhad, what lenses would you recommend?
I am not recommending anything to others. However, I am very happy with my FA35/2.0 while I have never used the macro. On the other hand I prefer something wider on crop sensor (14-15ish), compared to 20ish on FF. So, your Pentax setup is not for me.
For sure I have no experience with 5D MK II and would not just pick it over K-5 either.

Best
11-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #48
Raylon

Another option to throw into the mix is to stay with 5DII until Canon reveals the 5DIII. It should be a great camera. Sure the K-5 is fantastic, but we are comparing to two year old technology. When the K-5 will be compared to new FF sensors, I don't think it will do quite as hot. As someone suggested in a different thread, compare the difference between the K20 and the 5DII, because they came out in the same time frame. That difference will probably exist between the K-5 and the 5DIII. So considering what's out just this minute may not be the wisest thing to do.
11-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #49

Original Poster
I have thought about what the 5D MKIII will be like, but ultimately, I hate their cameras. If the K5 can give image quality as good as the 5D MKII, and that's enough for now I'm not really thinking it's necessary to wait for the MKIII.

I've also considered the 645D, but it's just that bit too expensive for right now. In a couple years time maybe not so.

02-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #50

I'd like to know what you would personally choose, if money wasn't the deciding factor, for landscape photography out of:

- Pentax K5 with 15mm ƒ4 and 31mm ƒ1.8 Limited lenses

- Canon 5D MK II with Carl Zeiss 28mm ƒ2 and 35mm ƒ2

I'm more concerned with image quality, ergonomics and build quality. My prints don't exceed 16x24" and never use anything above base ISO.
The 5DII is great for weddings, sports, action, photo journalism. The K-5 is great for most anything up to 16x24. One Note: get the k-5 IIs model. I previously owned a Hasselblad H2 with P30 back. After using medium format cameras I was greatly disappointed when I bought the 5DII. Canon uses a very strong AA filter (IMO) which kills image quality for landscapes and architecture. I even used the Canon L 24mm TS-E II lens, said to be one of Canon's best and was not at all happy with the pictures I shot. Then I sold it and bought the K-5 IIs. The dynamic range is better. Image quality is better. Images are sharper and more alive and overall... it's just a great camera. Pentax hit a home run with the K-5 IIs. Now I'm just working on assembling new glass for landscapes.
02-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #51

Photos: Gallery
I have a K5 and a K-7; I'd like to try some of the Limiteds, such as the 21mm, 31mm f/1.8, and the 77mm f/1.8, but those are above my pay scale. As it is, I'm well equipped, especially if the Full Frame comes as anticipated. 15mm f/3.5A. 24mm f/2 FA, 35mm f/2A, and having been taught how to shoot landscape with a mild telephoto, a 100mm Macro f/2.8A, all of which are outstanding. Just added the same 10-24mm Tamron one of the others mention and that is most impressive. I was happy to get the K-7 a while back, but the K-5 I recently got blew me away. I take a lot of night photography and the K-5 delivers on everything I ask of it, especially the very subtle tones in night work. Very happy with Pentax's current line up, might look into a K-5 II when the opportunity happens.
02-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

- Pentax K5 with 15mm ƒ4 and 31mm ƒ1.8 Limited lenses

- Canon 5D MK II with Carl Zeiss 28mm ƒ2 and 35mm ƒ2

Different lenses here and in the poll. So there are more choices. I would take the DA14mm instead off the DA15mm (personally I found that one better). You can't go wrong with the 31mm lens. I would also prefer a longer lens for landscape.

Almost never do landscape, but this one with K-01 and FA*85mm:

This one with K-7 and DA 14mm: