Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Because of the P-TTL, the internal Pentax flash will not work for triggering remote lights that don't support/have P-TTL. You could get some RF triggers that support PTTL or use a basic manual flash as suggested.

I use an old Vivitar flash to trigger my WL-5000 cans and it works like a champ.

I did make sure to measure the trigger voltage to make sure it wouldn't cook my camera. The first time I measured it though it told me it was pulling well over 60v. I almost fell out of my chair. Turns out my meter's batteries were just about dead

I typically have it facing the wall or the roof, but once in a while I will make it face the subject and use it as a filler. Great stuff!

09-23-2007, 01:52 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Quite frankly, I think you are going to a lot of effort to force your studio flashes to do something they were not designed for. Using the hot shoe to trigger the slaves will eventually cause you grief when you have to angle your lights so the slaves pick up the flash instead of angling your lights to light the subject. Studio lights are designed to be triggered using a pc-sync cable to one, and then the slave off the subsequent ones. The modern way is to use radio triggers.

Personally, it may cost a little bit more right now, but you will be far better off in the future. Radio triggers are the only way to go when working with studio lights, and you never have to worry about what a little hot show flash is contributing to the lighting mix.
09-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
I found the sync cable late Friday. Only had a few minutes to test. Works like a charm. I Knew we had a cable, just haven't seen it for a while. Usually use Norman lights with our light tent (which I hate, the tent that is.) when I shoot products for our catalog. But this shot is going to be for the cover of our xmas catalog, and won't fit in the tent. The WL lights have softboxes, which IMO, is so much better than using a tent.

Thanks all for the suggestions. If I had not found the cable, this project would have been a pain. Now I can prove my Pentax at work, and maybe get them to replace our C Rebel.
09-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Glad you got it working with the sync cable!

I don't use cables with my WL 5000, but then again, the lights don't support PTTL anyway.

I would never go wired in my situation. I move around too much and would be afraid of ripping off the camera's hot shoe or ripping the lights from their wall mountings, lol. I would definitely go RF/wireless if necessary and would get the triggers that support PTTL.

For now though, I set the WL5000s as I need them, up to three of them at as time, and for difficult fills, I add an ancient slave flash with a pe sensor attachment I bought for 10 bucks. They always fire in sync regardless of which way the trigger flash is facing and whether the lights are wearing white/reflective umbrellas or light boxes.

How about posting some samples