Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

K10D and Preflash

Is there a way to turn off the preflash on the K10D?

My strobes have a sensor that triggers the strobe from the flash on the camera. But there is a quick preflash coming from the K10D that triggers the stobes before the main flash. Needless to say, this is causing problems.

Gone through the manual, but don't see anything on it other than when using in wireless mode with the Pentax ext flashes.

Thanks,

09-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you mean the AF assist? Turn it off.
09-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is that what is causing it?

Just done a search on here (should have done first, I know) And I think I may have found it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/5168-preflash.html

Will give it a try.
09-21-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smokey Quote

My strobes have a sensor that triggers the strobe from the flash on the camera. But there is a quick preflash coming from the K10D that triggers the stobes before the main flash. Needless to say, this is causing problems.

Gone through the manual, but don't see anything on it other than when using in wireless mode with the Pentax ext flashes.

Thanks,
I'm afraid not. The built in is P-TTL only. The pre-flash is how the camera measures the amount of flash needed. Buy a cheap manual shoe mount flash. Make sure the trigger voltage is less than 25v. Use that to trigger your slave units.

09-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #5

I have a K100D, and had wondered the same thing. There IS a solution that is mentioned indirectly in the manual for my camera, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the K10D behaves similarly.

If you use either M-series or screw-mount lenses, according to the manaul, this causes the flash to fire at full power (thus no pre-flash, though the manual doesn't say this). In this case you must manually adjust your exposure, but if you are working with slave flashes, you are going to be manually adjusting and moving things around anyways, I would assume.

This approach seems to work well for me, so far, though I have only done VERY preliminary tests.
09-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was thinking about the af assist on my way back to work. That's a series of stobes while focusing. Not it. Only if I had a sync cable.

Didn't think about shoe mount flash. Wish I would have checked this right before I left to come back to work. I have a cheapo that I used with my K1000 years ago. I could point the flash straight up as to avoid causing lighting issues with the subject.

Was hoping to get this done today, as I am taking a weeks vacation (whoohoo!) Guess it will have to wait till I get back. Maybe by then I can have a sync cable.

Thanks,
09-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Meep70 Quote
If you use either M-series or screw-mount lenses, according to the manaul, this causes the flash to fire at full power (thus no pre-flash, though the manual doesn't say this).
Hmmm, wonder if manual focus mode will have the same effect?
09-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smokey Quote

Thanks,
If you are using the internal flash, no, but if you have an AF540FGZ, change the mode from P-TTL to Auto. In auto flash the flash uses the photocell in the body of the flash to control exposure, and there is no preflash.

Your flash lighting setup would need to be completely calibrated, however it sounds like this is how it is anyway

09-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Flash Recommendations for k100D

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
I'm afraid not. The built in is P-TTL only. The pre-flash is how the camera measures the amount of flash needed. Buy a cheap manual shoe mount flash. Make sure the trigger voltage is less than 25v. Use that to trigger your slave units.
Apology for the off topic to original thread poster.

Alan, I have a K100D and I am looking for an external flash, do you have any recommendations that is under 25v. So far, I look at few models as alternatives to the PTTL flash in 360 and 540. I am looking for inexpensive flash to use for bouncing flash from ceiling and swivel features:

Flash after Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 - Hin's Tech Corner

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 09-21-2007 at 11:53 AM.
09-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think this is becoming a lighting issue, and not camera.

With these lights (White Lighting UltraZap 1600) I am going to have to get a sync cable. The results are undependable without. I moved around the lights, closer to subject because there was not enough light, now everything is blown out. Moved them again, not enough light. I moved myself (farther back) and blown out again. My position relative to the strobes seems to affect when the stobes trigger. Move a foot to one side, and they trigger too soon. Frustrating. I really need that vacation.
09-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
and
Veteran Member

Another walkaround if your lens has an aperature ring, ie non-DA, then you can turn the aperature ring to something else than A, then the built in flash will fire a single flash at full power. The best way is to use an off camera cable, or get some cactus triggers or even pocket wizards.
09-21-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Apology for the off topic to original thread poster.

Alan, I have a K100D and I am looking for an external flash, do you have any recommendations that is under 25v. So far, I look at few models as alternatives to the PTTL flash in 360 and 540. I am looking for inexpensive flash to use for bouncing flash from ceiling and swivel features:

Flash after Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 - Hin's Tech Corner

Thanks,
Hin
Hin,
I've been using a Sigma EF500DG Super (Sigma has since replaced it with the EF530DG Super). Works fairly. Build is OK. Swivels and Tilts. There is also the ST version, for less money with fewer bells and whistles.

179109 Sigma EF-530 DG ST Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax TTL Digital SLR's, Guide Number 174 feet at 105mm Setting.
149109 Sigma EF-500 Super DG Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax AF, Guide Number of 165 feet / 50 meter at 105mm Setting.
09-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you Alan

Hin,
I've been using a Sigma EF500DG Super (Sigma has since replaced it with the EF530DG Super). Works fairly. Build is OK. Swivels and Tilts. There is also the ST version, for less money with fewer bells and whistles.

179109 Sigma EF-530 DG ST Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax TTL Digital SLR's, Guide Number 174 feet at 105mm Setting.
149109 Sigma EF-500 Super DG Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax AF, Guide Number of 165 feet / 50 meter at 105mm Setting.
Thanks for the added information. I will include both into my watch list. Thanks again.

Hin
09-22-2007, 05:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hin,
Do the Sigma flash units have a high speed sync mode like the Pentax flashes? I think these look like great flashes but I couldn't live without the high speed sync for daylight fill.
09-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
Do the Sigma flash units have a high speed sync mode like the Pentax flashes? I think these look like great flashes but I couldn't live without the high speed sync for daylight fill.
The SUPER versions have high-speed sync. Sigma calls it FP mode.