Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Heh. There does seem to be a bit of a 'slag on the current model' thing.

I suppose, though, assuming there's been a price drop, a lot of the people who aren't pushing the cutting edge so much are laying hands to K-7s.

Any K20d release stuff was before my time, actually, so I didn't see that. (Actually, I came along right when the prices were at the lowest for new ones: it was pretty happy timing for me: I ended up with something a lot more current a fair bit sooner than I'd planned, so I don't imagine I'd have been in a mood to quibble too much.)
Happened then too between the K10d and the K20d though not to this extent. The K10d devotes swore the 20 wasn't worth the upgrade price (and to some, it probably wasn't) just to get 'slightly improved af and 2 more MP'. It brought more to the table than that however but that's neither here nor there. The introduction of the 20 didn't improve my photography. Neither did the K7. The K5 helps me recover more easily when I screw up (I also credit the fact that my lens list has also greatly improved along the way), but it still doesn't make me a better photographer. That's on me. For that matter, Other than the ability to review and instantly (almost) repeat, Digital has not improved my photography. That has only come with practice.

Truth is, they are all fine cameras, you just have to learn how to use them.

Having owned all of the flagships and now the K5, I have to say that there have been improvements in all of them. With the K5 I think Pentax got it right and that may be more due to advance in technology rather than screwing up previously. That doesn't make the K7 (or the K10/20) any less than they were on day one. The people who make Me chuckle are the ones who want the new camera features and capabilities back dated in firmware to the older models, and some, Demand it (for all the good that ever does) or they are moving to another brand. Well, So Long Sporty!

11-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
K-7's are up for sale like hot cakes.
Yes, I think a lot of that is wild-optimist driven though with many expecting inflated s/h returns to help fund their instant dreams to K-5 nirvana. Having newest to play is also a driving drug in itself, we all can't escape that.

Was thinking of picking up one myself but it just seems so silly that any used K-7 body could be "worth" up to USD600-700, esp. when you can get a brand new one, with full warranty, the works, for well under USD900.

Also even a K-x, with it's legendary better pix sensor for well under 500 new can't be ignored as another option.
Second hand buyers have their reasons for wanting specific models I suppose.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-13-2010 at 07:20 AM.
11-13-2010, 07:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

A reduced price can do wonders to a product's perceived desirability....so it is with the K-7.
11-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #19
Site Supporter

K-7's are selling like hot cakes in the marketplace right now.

11-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Yup, I waited an got my k-7 for $685 with very low use...amazing deal for such a great camera
11-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #21

Until it starts to run scarce, I think the K-7 has become the new K200D. Half the price of the prosumer model above it, and more than half of the features.
11-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
This is all Good Thing™ because people shouldn't need to be ashamed of, or feel left behind just because they don't catch this latest gravy train, for whatever reason. We all move on when ready, and not before. Every dog has his day.
Thank you .R. - reading this forum I sometimes do feel bad for staying with only the old k100ds - the main reason that I believe it is still more camera than I am photog and the learning I need to do does not seem to have that much to do with the body I'm using.
11-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #23

K-7 has some very unique prosumer features. For example, it can bracket up to +/- 4 EV in live view without mirror movements. This seems trivial but it means something for HDR photography.

11-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #24

K-7 doing the job

I've had my K-7 for 6600 actuations; its about 18 months old, and I want to get my money's worth with it. When I get a K-5, I'll give the K-7 to my wife (she has a great K100D Super that makes great photos). The K-7 body and ergonomics is perfect for my hands and for travel.

I take RAW and develop them with Lightroom 3, which does a good job on the noise for high ISO shots, and I make sure I don't blow highlights. I feel the investment in K-5 is probably not going to improve the majority of the photos I shoot. But I would love to have a better unit for dark indoor work. K-5 would cut down PP time for sure, and improve low light shooting. But so would a cheaper K-r.

Adam Aitken
11-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #25

Absolutely, new models push older models down in price which tends to make them very attractive.

The K20D was THE best DSLR value when the K-7 appeared.

Now that you can get a K-7 for 30% less than a K-5 and have a nearly identical camera.
There are people who rarely shoot above low ISOs and for them the K-5 is not worth
the money over a K-7.

- Itai
11-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
JP
It is good to see some increased interest for the K-7.

The K-7 is a great camera and it was underrated by too many sites.

After 1 year of usage and about 10,000 counts, I am more and more impressed by the K-7, its strength and WR, the grip, and level of controls...

Thank you, JP, to remind us how good it the K-7....
Well, I have been using my K7 quite a bit lately for different things: portraits, landscape, some wildlife .... and I am quite happy with the results in spite of the noise at high ISO.
However, because there are lots of details kept in the RAW files, post-processed NR (Noiseware) does a great job.
Granted, it is annoying to have to do this but all in all I still like the K7.

You just watch ... the K7 will keep on increasing in popular votes!

JP
11-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I wouldn't take one if it was given to me. I hope when i order and get the k-5 it takes some of the bad taste out of my mouth.

If it wasnt for johnbee's preview of the k-5 I would of pre ordered the canon 60d. Now i am going to wait until i check out the k-5.
Kind of confusing, Gary.
This leaves you with few remaining choices ... until you check the K5 out.

JP
11-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #28
Pentaxian

You know, I still love my K10!! If I do upgrade it will probably be for the K5 or later version, but for now, my K10 is one hell of a camera. The only reason for me to upgrade would be if something catastrophic happened to my K10. For now my K10 is king, it takes better pictures than I'm capable of, so I have some catching up to do to be equal to my equipment.
11-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
You know, I still love my K10!! If I do upgrade it will probably be for the K5 or later version, but for now, my K10 is one hell of a camera. The only reason for me to upgrade would be if something catastrophic happened to my K10. For now my K10 is king, it takes better pictures than I'm capable of, so I have some catching up to do to be equal to my equipment.
Just goes to show that "older" models still perform very well indeed.

My son is now using my former K10D is his pics are just great!
I still use the K20D for most of my wildlife stuff and I am still happy with it.
I use the K7 for "fancier" stuff (portraits, landscape, some street) and love it.

JP