Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Manual modes making too many choices on a K-7

I just got a K-7 a few weeks ago and love it. Its and awesome camera. However I was hoping to have more control of my shutter and aperture. I find that the P, Tv, Av, and M settings dont let me change the shutter and aperture the way I want. The camera wants to try to force me into what it thinks is the best exposure at first. But then. turning either jog wheel only seems to increase the associated value and the only way to bring it back down is to hit the green button. I went with this camera because it seemed to have good manual setting from the write ups. Am I missing something? is there a setting I need to change?

11-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
P mode features hyper program, which allows you to change either the shutter speed or aperture on the fly.

In Tv mode, you set the time, in Av, you set the aperture.

In M mode, you've got full control. The camera won't change the settings on its own unless you press the green button. Furthermore, if you hold down the DOF preview button, the camera will show a light meter and you'll be able to adjust the settings based on the light

Have you changed any of the e-dial settings? There are a few combinations that are sort of strange, so double-check that first.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome aboard and congratualtions on owning a better Pentax camera than I have. If you choose, for example, Av mode, select your ISO, then you need to select the Aperture you wish to shoot at--the camera then selects the appropriate shutter speed. If you find the camera's metering not accurate for the scene, you can use ev compensation to bring it where you want it.

If you want full control of all variables, you can shoot in Manual mode.

Does this help?
11-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
It might help to go back and read the manual about how the modes work.

The only fully manual mode is "M"

Av, Tv, etc. give priority to the parameter you set, then it compensates the other parameters to determine the exposure.

What do you mean by "turning either jog wheel only seems to increase the associated value and the only way to bring it back down is to hit the green button"?
When you turn the wheel the opposite direction the value should go down. Does this work on your camera?

11-13-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

You already got some good advice.

I use the P-mode.

In P mode, the front dial allow me to change the shutter speed (within all the range) while the rear dial allows to change the aperture.

When I want to come back to the full auto mode, I press the Green button.

That is fairly simple and straight forward.

However beware that the K-7 has numerous settings and controls, and it is well worth to read the manual. It took me nearly 3 weeks to read the manual, but I saw a drastic improvements of my shots' quality after reading the manual.

Hope that the comment will help....
11-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
P mode features hyper program, which allows you to change either the shutter speed or aperture on the fly.

In Tv mode, you set the time, in Av, you set the aperture.

In M mode, you've got full control. The camera won't change the settings on its own unless you press the green button. Furthermore, if you hold down the DOF preview button, the camera will show a light meter and you'll be able to adjust the settings based on the light

Have you changed any of the e-dial settings? There are a few combinations that are sort of strange, so double-check that first.
Only with Non A type lenses (M42/K/M). With A/F/FA lenses set on A as well as DA types, a tap of the shutter release will activate the meter for the (custom menu) set amount of time.

11-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
Perhaps it is the faulty e-dial problem from this post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/114453-k7-faulty-front-e-dial.html Any turn of the dials only seems to increase the values regardless of which direction I am turning the dial. Some clicks of the dials dont even seem to register with the camera. Should I call Pentax about this?
11-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clmathers Quote
Should I call Pentax about this?
Yes you should.

12-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #9

Original Poster
My k-7 has returned from the dead! Praise Amaterasu-ōmikami! I sent it off to the good folks at Pentax and they replaced the eDial assemblies. Came back just in time. My fiance got me a new focus screen for Christmas. I'm so happy everything works now It was sent out 12/20 and arrived back 12/28. That's pretty good turn around I think.
12-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter

My k-7 has returned from the dead! Praise Amaterasu-ōmikami! I sent it off to the good folks at Pentax and they replaced the eDial assemblies. Came back just in time. My fiance got me a new focus screen for Christmas. I'm so happy everything works now It was sent out 12/20 and arrived back 12/28. That's pretty good turn around I think.
Truthfully, that is good turn-around time.
12-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

Goof for you. Enjoy your K-7 and we look forward to see your shots.