Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 12:29 AM   #1

Winter use of Pentax K-X. Warm and Cold.

Ok. Winter is coming up and i plan on taking photos in the cold with my K-X.
I know what it says in the Manual, but i want some info from people who have used the K-x in the winter.

Will just handling and using the K-x in the winter keep it warm enough so that it keeps working? Warning signs that i should stop and get someplace warmer?

I know that when i come in from the cold i should leave the camera in something so it does not develop moisture. What is the best way to do this? Would just leaving it in my camera bag be good enough protection?

I'm sure i dont have to worry about going outside from a warm inside.

Any other Winter info i should know that i have not thought of?

On a side note, i have a pine chest that i want to store my camera gear in. I was planning on rigging up a (small) lightbulb on the inside for warmth. I would not leave the light on all of the time, but once in a while i would leave it on long enough to heat up the box and dry everything out. What kind of bulb and how long would i leave it on.

11-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't own a Kx but I have used every camera I have ever owned outside in winter with no problems. The batterys will run down quicker and I suppose that there is some point where mechanical parts like shutters and mirrors might not operate and the LCD will freeze but I'm not going to be outside taking pictures in that kind of cold. My K10D has a listed temp range of 32-104 F. My first day using it was 10 F. I have used it for full days of xc skiing, being in the cold for long periods of time with no issues.

I think it is better to store your gear in an open place with good air circulation and sunlight. Wood chests and dark places are ideal places for mold and mildew. Some silica gel bags will help absorb humidity in a bag or cabinet. I learned some lessons the hard way by storing my gear in locked drawers, mostly to keep them from my young kids at the time, only to end up with mildew/fungus and a repair bill. Pentax cameras and lenses are a work of art. Show them off.
11-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I don't own a Kx but I have used every camera I have ever owned outside in winter with no problems. The batterys will run down quicker and I suppose that there is some point where mechanical parts like shutters and mirrors might not operate and the LCD will freeze but I'm not going to be outside taking pictures in that kind of cold. My K10D has a listed temp range of 32-104 F. My first day using it was 10 F. I have used it for full days of xc skiing, being in the cold for long periods of time with no issues.

I think it is better to store your gear in an open place with good air circulation and sunlight. Wood chests and dark places are ideal places for mold and mildew. Some silica gel bags will help absorb humidity in a bag or cabinet. I learned some lessons the hard way by storing my gear in locked drawers, mostly to keep them from my young kids at the time, only to end up with mildew/fungus and a repair bill. Pentax cameras and lenses are a work of art. Show them off.
Well, i figured that if i need too i could line the bottom of the wood chest with rice, and then put something like a drying rack in the bottom so that the camera and such is sitting above the rice. With the heat from the bulb things would dry out pretty quickly.

I ask because my house is VERY dusty, and having two dogs doesn't help so i cant really leave my camera sitting out. I need a place to store it, but the place needs to be dry. And my wood chest that i made back in high school is still bone dry.
11-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #4

I took my K-x backpacking last weekend (slackpacking might be a better term). Lows were below freezing. I had no trouble at all with camera or battery life.

I put two sets of AA rechargeable batteries in a plastic bag and put them in my sleeping bag at night. I wrapped a rubber band around them to eliminate any chance of them assembling a circuit on their own.

Once or twice a lens would fog up on the outside after I removed it's cap. This would dissipate on it's own after a few minutes.

11-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
Well, i figured that if i need too i could line the bottom of the wood chest with rice, and then put something like a drying rack in the bottom so that the camera and such is sitting above the rice. With the heat from the bulb things would dry out pretty quickly.

I ask because my house is VERY dusty, and having two dogs doesn't help so i cant really leave my camera sitting out. I need a place to store it, but the place needs to be dry. And my wood chest that i made back in high school is still bone dry.
Faced with similar problem I recently picked up one of this style hard resin case with cut-cubed foam inside. They seem the best for looking after expensive camera gear, very strong, travel-worthy, fully o-ring sealed, water proof (almost), pad-lockable, and pressurised too (have a release valve fitted at the front).
Designed to keep the gear dry and fungus free.

Amazon.com: Resin case cubed foam: Electronics

I picked mine up in the tools section of a handyman/hardware chainstore, does the job and not expensive for fairly large size one too (even fit my 10" Netbook in it) compared to rich prices of the genuine camera stores ones such as Pelikan or HPRC brand.

Like you I have the dusty and moist/cold/hot household and seasons to contend with, so figured the small outlay was more than worth it for the value of my electronics camera goodies.

This Silica stuff can be handy and cheap enough to toss a couple of pkts in too, although your rice idea might be OK I suppose;
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-...cant&x=16&y=17

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-14-2010 at 08:37 AM.